1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Seventh-Day Adventism a Cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by thatbrian, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am
    and I do.

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here then is what is "right" go to the source... compare what is actually said to the Bible.... "read" the Bible ..

Our doctrinal promotion is sola scriptura... I have repeatedly said on this and other threads that I welcome the day when the actual "sola scriptura" Protestant model starts being accepted as more valuable than emotionalism and rant and false accusations.

People may agree with us or differ with us - but they should be able to study the Bible to establish their positions up or down on a given doctrine.

The alternative is "sola emotionalism" and we get a lot of that on threads like this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    amen

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Certainly I don't disagree with it... :)

5. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    BELIEFSCHURCH

WE ARE ONE BODYJesus left His followers with an epic mission: to tell the world of His love and His promise to return. They should also love people the way He loved them. Entrusting humans with His message was a bold and risky move. But even though God knew people would often fail Him and even distort His truth, He wanted to work with us.

The risk was worth the reward. As followers of Jesus, the church is called and inspired to act like Him: selflessly serving others, relying on God for strength, absorbing God’s Word and telling the world about God’s love. Male and female, rich and poor, people from all backgrounds or ethnicities are all equal in Jesus.

The church supports and encourages one another through time together in worship and Bible study. Christians celebrate Jesus’ covenant with them through the ceremony of the Lord’s Supper, remembering Jesus’ example of service and sacrifice. The church celebrates each member’s salvation through the ritual of baptism by immersion. The church is the hands and feet of the “body of Christ.”

Jesus promised that everything He had done on Earth would be accomplished through His church as well. Yes, we are a pale reflection of our Savior’s perfection, but Jesus is still the head of His church. Despite our imperfections, in His grace and through the power of His redeeming sacrifice, we will be a dazzling new creation.

In the world’s last days, when much of God’s message has been neglected and discarded, God calls us to remember the hallmarks of His truth. The book of Revelation tells of three angels sent to Earth with a final message of hope and warning. Their story symbolizes God's end-time mission for His people.

The Holy Spirit empowers each of us with our own spiritual gifts and skills to share God’s love and strengthen others. From teaching and preaching to encouraging and prophesying, the Spirit has provided the church with every gift it needs to accomplish its work.

Church :: The Official Site of the Seventh-day Adventist world church

• Like Like x 1
  6. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We seem to have another apologist for the cult of SDA.

7. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far, from what I have researched, SDA official beliefs are not very far away from most mainstream denominations. However, like the Baptist church, SDA is more congregational and autonomous. So there are some loony toon SDA churches out there, but the official doctrines appear to be alright.

8. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am just posting what their official website says. I am posting what they actually profess to believe. Not some third party telling me what they believe with a biased lense.

I am not trying to defend SDA. I merely refuse to attack a denomination I know little to nothing about. The Baptist church has their fair share of "Loony Toon" wackos too. But I am not going to ignorantly assume that those wackos represent the entire Baptist church.

#48 delizzle, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you actually think that cults come right out and announce the fact that they are cults on the "About Us" page of their websites?

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What you have is someone who prefers to present the actual statements of the group YOU claim to be evaluating - instead of non-substantive video after video filled with emotionalism.

"Sola emotionalism" is not all that you have imagined it to be as your "source" for argument.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen.

How "instructive" that you get attacked by the one here who himself started this topic - asks the group to investigate what the SDA position is to justify his slander .. . and then is miffed that you dare to present actual "source material" of the group he claims to be evaluating.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've posted a TON of quotes from your leader and testimony from ex-SDA members. You've avoided it all.

13. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but it will (or at least should) give a very accurate represention of what their core beliefs are. All the other stuff may not be dogmatic at all and may simply be the preference of a single pastor. I know you find the same level of nonsense in some Baptist churches too. But at least I understand that that nonsense doesn't represent all Baptists.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You admit your ignorance on this matter, yet you take a side. Why not remain silent if you know nothing about the subject?

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What utter nonsense!!

Let's examine the Jehovah's Witnesses - they come right out and tell you their doctrine comes from Smith and that you must accept Smith as a prophet or you have no basis to accept their doctrine. It is THEIR own position -- and it is the POSITION that they take that determines if they are a cult or not... simple childish emotional 'name calling' is not how it is determined.

Hence Walter Martin's book "Kingdom of the Cults" where that non-SDA Walter Martin fully confirms that SDAs are not in a cult!!

Which is NOT what he says about JWs or Mormons!!

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you claim to "not read" the material and then insist that your ability at name-calling and emotionalism is to be our guide???

Please be serious.

Your accusations turned upon delizzle for fair and objective evaluation exposes your position as being at war with objectivity itself!!

17. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did you have to vow to when your cult baptized you, Bob? Please be specific.

18. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If read much, Bob, just not your propaganda. I've also had close relatives in your cult.

19. delizzle

delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct, it is called being objective and looking at the facts through an unbiased lense. You know how many people think Baptists are a bunch of hateful bigots who hate the military. (Westboro Baptist Church). If we are to ignorantly categorize SDA members or the Church as a whole, why then is it wrong to say that Westboro Baptist Church represents all Baptists?

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We have waited a long time for one of your emotional argument to hold water... still waiting.

The Bible "matters" -- not only do you claim not to read the material when put on the spot - but you can't be dragged kicking and screaming to get out your Bible to sustain your position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.