1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the Catholic Church a cult ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by lakeside, May 25, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Popes are fallible period.

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes they are. They crusades were a war for God(faith), which the Pope used to kill other Christians and attempt to take over other Christian churches fallible. Zosimus wanted to be a pelagian until the emperor corrected him. Fallible. Peter refused to let men bow before him. Jesus washed feet. The Pope wants his feet kissed and his subjects to kneel before him. Fallible. Popes would force public humiliation on rivals. King John of England and bishop of Constantinople to mention a couple. Popes taught salvation by death in war, fallible. ......the list never ends. They are fallible the claim of infallibility is ridiculous. Pope Innocence III declared the church has never erred and never will.....we know that isn't true.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

IMO, He is just as wicked as ever.
    This is unbelievable:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-francis-palestinian-president-abbas-an-angel-of-peace-1.3077400

Unbelievable!
    IMO, This is condoning terrorism.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

5. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Jesus left us with His imperfect church, but it was and is His church, not your churches, that is all that matters ' 'His Church" not all your Johnny- come- lately churches.Read your Bibles, Jesus said that His church would contain " good and bad " members.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your concept of Ecclesia is flawed, but it is exactly the concept that was created with Constantine. In the Bible, believers were added to the Church …not unbelievers. Unbelievers were among believers, but not “members.” They were among them, but not a part of them. There were wheat and tares growing together. It is the children of the promise who are regarded as descendants, it is those who believe who are members of the Church.....not just anybody ....or in the case of the ancient RCC, just anybody who happens to live in its territory. You have a skewed understanding of the nature of the Church.

#46 JonC, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  7. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Eph 5:25 ... Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
    Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

--This description totally disqualifies the RCC. He isn't speaking of the RCC.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was referencing the elect, His Bride, His Body. He laid down His life for His sheep alone.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He was also writing to the church at Ephesus.
    You say he is writing to the elect. Are you part of the elect? How do you know?
    What could you say to convince Lakeside that you are one of the elect when he believes he is one of the elect, but his reason is different than yours?

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it was a circular letter. The name Ephesians does not occur in the orginal at all in this epistle in the earlier manuscripts.

Of course. The true Church is composed of only the elect --His sheep, His Body, His beloved.
    Indeed I am. Are you?
    I am a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. He alone is my Savior.

Besides, in 2 Cor. 13:5 it says:

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves..."

The KJV adds "...except ye be reprobates."

And in 2 Peter 1:10 it states :

"Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election..."

You run away from all forms of the word election in the Word of God DHK. Why is that?
    I haven't followed all of Lakeside's reasoning, but I dare say I do so on biblical grounds --not a sacramental, traditional and man-made basis.

12. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Rippon, may I ask you if you are Catholic ?

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

. Sorry ..... That just struck me as funny.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not Roman Catholic. I am a Calvinistic Baptist --I am among the Reformed and Reforming. But more generally I am a Protestant Christian.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am happy for your testimony. I may answer it more fully later, but only to demonstrate Lakeside's answer (which is typical)
    His answer is based on a false foundation.

16. lakeside

lakeside New Member

JonC, about your Constantine remark. I think a parallel today might be if the Chinese communists called a Christian Council.
    I'm sure the Catholic Church would work with that power without being subordinate to it.
    We also have to remember that is was Constantine that moved the capital from Rome to Anatolia with all his army and governmental structure while the head of the Church stayed in Rome.

Also we have to remember that Constantine's son, when he became ruler went back to persecuting the Church.

None of this could have happened if the church was the creation of the Roman state.

Despite 250 years of pesucution Christains made up between a third and a half of the empire and growing.
    Constantine realized it was in his best interests to be on good reclations with the greatest force in the Empire.
    Christains had infiltratred the Army and even the Empiriral household.
    He was not a stupid man. Why wouldn't he have a ligitimate intestest in what the beliefs of this group were.
    He had been given conflicting stories. By inviting the local Bishops to gather he would gain a view of the majority.
    The most important thing this council did was to exspand on long. existing beliefs to specifically target the Arian heresy.There were no Western Bishops present as this meeting.This Heresy in the early 4th century was still localized

It is true that Constantine was the last man standing (of four Roman Emperors) and became the sole emperor after internal civil war. It is also true that although he was from the Serbian region his original 1/4 of the empire was based in the west where relatively few of his citizens were Christian (about 20%).

Christians weren't persecuted in his realm because they were such a low percentage. In the eastern realms, the Christian population was nearing 50%.

When Constantine became sole emperor it made political sense to stop the persecutions in his new Eastern realm. In doing so he had ready made support from a large section of the population there (i.e. Christians).

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He may have been at one time but he went over to the "Dark Side" when his buddy Jean Calvin jumped ship. :wavey:

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Did he?
    Let's read in more depth about the deeds of Constantine from Armitage's "A History of the Baptists"

19. lakeside

lakeside New Member

DHK, as the author of your article wrote: " This cross story needs thorough revision."

And the Baptist did just that, revisionist history.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes he did. Constantine was not a Christian in any sense of the word.
    A true Christian does not go around murdering people by the sword.
    A true Christian doesn't turn on his own family and kills his own son, and wife, and others of his family. That is not the mark of a Christian.
    He revised the story to put it in perspective of what Biblical Christianity was. His type of "Christianity" was paganism, not Christianity at all. The name of Christ doesn't have to be dragged through the mud with the likes of Constantine, the Crusades, and the RCC!!!!!!