1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Penal Substitution Theory the most common theory throughout history?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that I in no way belittled your degrees. You are making assumptions.

That said, IF you believe that 1 John demands "propitiation" be defined as "bearing wrath" then I do question the validity of your credentials. We are talking about elementary things, about being faithful to the text first and then developing doctrine/theories.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I told you that I know what is involved in a MDiv. While I wish now that I had taken a route that included pastoral studies, I chose to concentrate on theology and Church history because that was/is my interest.

The only reason I brought up degrees was to say that it is a basic principle to be faithful to the text first. You can determine that Christ propitiated God's wrath by bearing it, but you do not have the right to declare that 1 John demands "propitiation" be defined as "bearing wrath". It's sloppy work, period.

3. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about a 6-month moratorium on PSA?
    It exists from Genesis to Revelation.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So... obviously... if someone disagrees with you and your take on something in scripture, his training or credentials are inferior to yours or invalid altogether. Yeah... we see what side of the bread your butter is on...

The Archangel

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wrath on Jesus right..... So you guys are saying at one point the Trinity was broken the unity ceased.

You owe me 1000$. Don't have the money. Mom comes in and pays your bill, gives me 1000$

Did I forgive your debt? NOPE. Simply had your Mom pay.

I challenge/question God forgives no one under your understanding of penal substitution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.