1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the pendulum swinging in a different direction?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 14, 2017.

?

Do you have a private, prayer language?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2019.
  1. Yes ...

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No ...

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. I do have a prayer language, but fear the wrath of others, so I keep it to myself!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one is adding new theology to God or adding a new revelation. Prophecy does not always entail future telling.
    I acknowledge your view, but respectfully disagree.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There have been millions who lived and died without ever hearing of Jesus...
    The same God who confounded the languages at the tower of Babel is well aware of where His elect sheep are,and He will reach them through the means He has ordained.....you know....effectual calling:Cautious

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand we differ.....but respectfully, any new word, tongue or anything that comes from God would indeed be new revelation.
    I am sitting here in OHIO...if I was given a direct word from God we could write it down as it would be the word of God.

4. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one, that I know of, would accept the holy laughter movement or any such behaviors as being biblical. But, we're not discussing wacky, Prophets of Zwickau, heresy. We are looking at God’s word as it relates to the gift of tongues and discerning whether God's gift of tongues has ceased in entirety. God's word does not say that tongues have ceased today. God's word says tongues will cease when the perfect comes. Perfect is not the canon.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess the scripture is in err? Paul said, when we can't put into words our thoughts and needs, the Holy Ghost does that for us!???

6. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not disagree with you.
    The same God used tongues to reach unreached peoples. He, by His Sovereign will can use tongues today. It is His will that decides where, when and upon whom He will give His gifts.

7. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not in the same sense as the apostles. If that were so, why aren't the prophecies of Phillips daughters provided to us? Or those who prophesied to Timothy?
    Prophecy does not have to be canonical.

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ICON, since I ignore you, I forgot that you are still around. I already know your opinions and views, but I am asking how you are, and that special need I have been praying for you for? It's been a while, so, hopefully the need was met! Are you still driving? Be safe, there are idiots on the road, but you know that better then me! God bless!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you guess the scripture in err?

I asked if you understood what was prayed. I asked if so, then what is the benefit of using another language. I asked if not, then what is the benefit of the prayer.Judging from your response the answer is "no", you don't understand what is being prayed. So my follow up question is what, in your view, is the benefit of the prayer?

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even I don't agree with these wide open practices of inviting people to come up in mass and be baptized in the Spirit and receive gifts. I have been in one of those invites, and I saw through what they were doing. Usually, a person who receives the prayer language gift, receives it privately, most often while praying, without the assistance of another person.

THERE IS NOT NOW, OR NEVER HAS BEEN A NEED FOR A SECOND BLESSING!

Good points made, brother, but, it doesn't mean all of us who pray in tongues, buy into the teaching you have presented. God bless!

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the word says the Spirit takes our prayers to God for us, then I would assume, you may not, but I do, that God understands what is coming from my heart and lips! All my needs have ALWAYS been met, and quite abundantly at that! If you have to ask these questions, you will never understand until you experience the gift.

I used to be a skeptic like you. Like Paul, I spoke out considerably and went around crucifying tongue talkers. I still don't accept tongues, but prayer language I can't deny! God speed to you bro!

Oh, no I don't interpret my own prayer language. I TRUST and have FAITH in the scripture, that the Spirit does that interpreting for me on MY behalf! hope that answers your question!

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you keep changing what I say from "revelation" to "canon." That is dishonest. The word "canon" does not appear in the bible. The word "revelation" does.

So, try real hard to be honest. When the complete revelation comes the partial revelation will pass away.

That is God's word. In context. I accept it. You reject it. So be it. End of discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not expect anyone to buy into anything I share. But when it comes to modern day tongues the onus is on the Continualist to prove that the gift still exists and that it is a private prayer language.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask John of Japan. He learned Japanese then translated the bible into Japanese. No Crazymatic shortcuts. But rather obedient to God's command, "Study to show yourself approved unto God."

• Like Like x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have said, I've never experienced speaking in tongues but I have experienced the gift you describe of the interceding work of the Spirit.

I've never said I was a skeptic. I said that I never spoke in tongues. There is a difference. Why, earlier in your life, did you feel the need to be hostile to those who "spoke in tongues"?

Thank you for your answers. I suppose in a way you have answered my question. I am left with the notion that the benefit you derive from praying in tongues is the same benefit I derive without the tongues part.

17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The complete revelation is Jesus, not the Bible. The Bible is God's word for the present, but Jesus is God, the Word, himself. As wonderful as the Bible is, we worship the Word, Jesus.

18. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your last words have nothing to do with whether the gift of tongues is given by God today.

19. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Testimony from missionaries says God still uses tongues on the front lines.
    I will not defend tongues as a prayer language.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you do.

Yes, groaning which CANNOT be uttered. Not jibber jabber where you don't have a clue what you are saying. You could be praying that all your loved ones get cancer for all you know! If you can understand it you don't need it, if you can't understand it does not edify you. Take Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 14:19 I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I might instruct others also, than ten thousand words in another language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me "Jesus" in the context. And now you deny revelation. This just keeps getting worse and worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.