1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the SBC getting liberal?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should the SBC push against "alt right" hate crimes? The SBC should push against ALL hate, except the hate of sin its self. Why are we choosing types of hate to push against? Why is certain hate getting special treatment. Why not push against left liberal hate? The house majority whip was shot last week. If we were going to choose a hate to hate, liberal hate would have been the more timely one. Choosing either to target was extreme poor judgment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberalism is always used in multiple spheres. Not sure how that is confusing when I made clear the use of liberalism with the term "socially". This is how I use it, it is how many if not most people use it, and that is how I am going to continue to use it.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In area of theology, more like the persons who reject eternal truths of holy scriptures!

4. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No clue your point.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals are even more closed minded than conservatives, just try to question any of their held sacred cows!

6. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    LOL ~ okay, gotcha. :)

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Dr. Bob. The revisionists have re-defined "liberal" to mean "anything I don't like." They completely ignore the actual meaning of the word when used in a theological context. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't like Calvinism but I do not call it liberal. I will say that I use liberal in any situation where standards are being dropped, lessened, made inferior to what was previously held to. It is possible to be wrong (i.e. calvinism) without being liberal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not Southern Baptist, but interact with friends, churches, etc., who are. My comments are based on my personal experiences and observations -- which means they are also limited by and to my personal experiences and observations.
    I don't see much of this, though there are some churches that are influenced by Charismatics. Yet, in some cases this is not a matter of liberal interpretation of the Bible, but a different interpretation of the Bible. Differences are not necessarily a reflection of liberalism -- even when they are wrong. It is more about how they are arrived at.
    American Christians and churches are severely infected with this disease, but it is not any more peculiar to Southern Baptist than others, as far as I can tell.
    These are areas that can be influenced by a liberal approach to scripture, but on the other hand these issues, existing first, can lead to a liberal approach to interpreting Scripture. Again, I don't see this as a peculiar-to-Southern-Baptists problem.
    This probably varies by location, but I don't see any move toward placing women in leadership roles such as pastors by Southern Baptists in this area. I would think the general trend is against it.
    I see some of this among some Southern Baptists, and a move in the other direction among others.

10. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your honest and astute treatment rivaughn.

My fears are probably based on a few things:

1. I live in formerly conservative, but increasingly liberal Orlando, Florida.
    2. My fears are probably based more on the general direction of the American church, which seems to be towards a kind of conservative mainline faith that looks nothing like historical (Ana)Baptist theology [i.e. biblical theology].
    3. My fears about my own generation of Christians, which includes the drop outs and deconverters

11. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I myself did do that a bit. I am interpreting liberal as to the left of me, and I am sorry that I did. Seeing for instance I believe women should hold no church offices, that puts me to the right of many people even in the southern baptist denomination.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt we each evaluate these kinds of things from our own perspective, sort of like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think the primary problem with the SBC is Theological Liberalism (Modernism).

I think the greater problem is a breakdown in ecclesiastical separation that refuses to condemn and separate from Theological Liberalism.

It was that breakdown that caused the Convention to slowly slip into Liberalism from the 1940s through the 1990s. Praise the Lord that trend was reversed.

However, the cause of that trend is once again rearing its ugly head and a spirit of cooperation, regardless of the cost, is once again getting popular among many in Convention leadership.

We must never sacrifice doctrinal purity on the altar of social expediency. Never!

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal also means to give freely - ie we should be very liberal with our giving to God.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "devil in the details" though is that the Lord has a much broader camp than some think!
    As some think that we musty separate over things such as Versions, worship styles, whether calvinistic or not, Baptist or not!

16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing about the SBC that has annoyed me for quite some time is that we get on tangents. We pick A SIN we are going take a stand against. The latest example of this trend is the alt-right hate, non-sense resolution that was passed. I see the SBC as being extremely hypocritical on many of the sins we take a stand against. We pick and choose them. Homosexuality comes to mind. I 100% oppose homosexuality in all ways. It is sin. It is not excusable. etc. etc. For some reason, it is now some type special sin that gets its own pedestal. We as Christians should oppose all sexual sin. Adultery, fornication, and homosexuality. Why dont we give adultery and fornication the same degree of importance we give homosexuality?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe not as many members engaged in homosexual sin as are fornicating and committing adultery??

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point exactly. We draw the line and take the stand just past where we think we could ever go. Hey I might slip up and cheat on my wife one day, but I know I will never lie with a man, so I am going to take a stand against the latter.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, I do. :)

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I commend you for that. The convention does not seem to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.