1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is theology SUPPOSED to be simple?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Dec 23, 2010.

?
  1. EVERYTHING in the Bible is simple enough for a child to understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The deep things of God are unsearchable and we should never try

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some of the deep things of God, he has revealed to us and we should dig for them like treasure

84.2%
  4. Other- I will explain

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

No. I know so. No one is as theologically precise as said persons think. None. To claim that Scripture is so simplistic is to suggest that since it is, then one who believes this can exposit any passage at any given time. In real time. That is foolishness. Thus it is safe to conclude that if on the spot, these same would find explaining Scriptures rather difficult, as I will prove with your own words later in this reply. :wavey:

"As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." 2 Peter 3:16

Some things, says the Bible, are hard to understand. God says some are hard to understand, but some on here say it's not, it's simple. Wow. Wonder who is correct? It's not all so simple. The whole idea from these is that they who say Scripture is so simple need no one to teach them. This passage would support study and learning, and begs the question, "from whom and how?"

Thus:

But what does God say? He has placed within the body as a gift, teachers. To hold the above attitude is to discredit and belittle whom God has called, and belittle His order in the church, and lacks honoring this gift, and those who have it. Ephesians 4:11

Your bickering included?

For instance? This (your) illustration has no logical flow from the context of this part of the thread. It's a perfect example of a straw man.

Yes I saw you go after Luke and use your age and experience as a proof that you are correct and he is wrong. Let's use Scriptures to prove our points, not experience, as in how I have used the Scriptures? This ought to be the protocol of those of us who have so much "experience."

Where does the Scripture say "b*sta*rd not entering the gates of heaven?"

You prove right there the Scriptures are not simplistic to explain and understand, although I await proof of this exact wording in Scriptures. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this should go explain this to the fellow as other atttempts have failed, say, someone more learned?

#102 preacher4truth, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he's calling you a bickering old lady MK... :laugh:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No sir. Some of theology most certainly is complex. That theology is not simple nor is it supposed to be nor should it be treated as such.

This has nothing to do with the fact that much of the Bible is very simple to understand.

So yes, your statement about someone saying that the Bible cannot be understood by common man is a straw man.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Notice I haven't argued the point? :laugh:

6. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Funny stuff:laugh::laugh:

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who thinks the study of God is "easy" is truly from another planet.:tonofbricks:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.