1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a retitle suggestion for Calvinism and Arminianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a very good post, Van.

Thank you!

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made no assertion other than to point out a strawman about Arminians. They are basically saying there is much to be considered before they can teach or answer all questions about assurance with full confidence of mind. I would say they were obviously expressing and/or addressing that they were against those who were force fitting the determinist doctrines to impose eternal security. But, glad you got it all figured out! Keep the faith.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Nope... Dead already. God just let them know. :thumbsup:

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.' 4 "For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' " 6 And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?

And glfredrick concludes that must mean, "There is no action of man that can move the hand of God."

Hmmmm. :confused::confused:

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Take your Hmmmm, and put it away. By now, you must know that I hold a more serious and thought out position than what I just jotted down here.

But the gist of my position is that God causes us to agree with Him not that we change the mind of God.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saw this... :wavey:back at cha:
    My view is also that salvation DEPENDS solely on God’s grace, not only that but that He genuinely offers His grace to every man that comes into the world to whosoever WILL believe; therefore my doctrine of God ‘s grace is BIGGER than yours. How do you like dem apples?!? ha

And…sounds to me like you Determinists are the ones that have a bone to pick with God because you all claim you can’t even find it in your hearts to respond to the influences of His love and freely accept His gift of grace but rather feel the need to claim the effect of your belief was caused against your free will. How messed up of a view of loving grace is that?!? Yeah buddy! You Determinists got a lot of gall wanting to call your doctrine “THE” Doctrine of Grace” as far as I’m concerned! :rolleyes:

#46 Benjamin, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Mankind doesn't have the ability to gain salvation, neither the power to lose/forfeit it.

8. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So, according to your view, Jesus' analogy would have been more accurate to suggest that the Judge was secretly causing the women (through effectual means) to continue to beg and bother him?

Interesting... Hmmmm.

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Notice how a thread that was supposed to be a discussion of terms, titles and suggestions, has turned into the ever, endless debate.

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

how about the "cals" believe in Election by grace and will of God, while "Arms" would believe in Election by Free will act of man?

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen a good answer.

Although, I have enjoyed much of the interaction.

If I missed the answer, please let me know.

12. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Calvin was NOT a heretic, neither was Luthor though!

You can disagree with their conclusions on their biblical theologies, but goes both ways, as we would see those who would not see DoG as being heretics, IF we take your way to categorize Christians!

I would however have no problems calling those like a hagin/Copeland/paulk eyc, just about ALl charasmatic teachers of today as being heretics!

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

We MUST be predestined by God to have this eternal debate until the Lord returns and informs us that "both of your groups were wrong!"

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The fact is, the great dispute between Calvinists and Arminians has arisen very much through not understanding one another, and from one brother saying, “What I hold is the truth”—and the other saying, “What I hold is truth, and nothing else.” The men need somebody to knock both their heads together, and fuse their beliefs into one. They need one capacious brain to hold both the truths which their two little heads contain; for God’s word is neither all on one side nor altogether on the other: it overlaps all systems, and defies all formularies." —Charles Spurgeon, "North and South"

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Doctrine of Deterministic Pre-selected Grace"

:laugh:

16. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Vrs:

God can save me once I allow Him that honor!

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How about the "Doctrine of My Free Choice Trumps the Sovereignty of God"

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL :laugh::laugh::laugh: Toooooo Much!!!

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ow! Ow! My ears, my ears. Too loud, too loud.

20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say the title you offer me is not a true statement, the tiltle I offer you is. IOW's you suggested my doctrine equals something it does not, what does the title I offered you suggest that is not true according to you?

:cool:

#60 Benjamin, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.