1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there ever a time to lie?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 18, 2008.

?
  1. no, it is never ok to lie in any circumstance

20.0%
  2. It is proper only when innocent life is in danger or other similar extreme case

48.9%
  3. There are many circumstances where it is ok to lie

17.8%
  4. I don't like the options in the poll (as usual) :-)

13.3%
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that many are missing the point. The fact that the scriptures show that someone was a liar does not mean that god ordains it or approves it. he is simply letting us know that they lied. He never rewards anyone in scripture for lying. In every case they could have simply trusted the lord and allowed Him to take care of the need instead if lying to do it themselves. All lies are sin.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exodus clearly states that God rewarded the midwives for disobeying AND lying.

3. standingfirminChrist

Exodus 1:17-21 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive. And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men children alive? And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are lively, and are delivered ere the midwives come in unto them. Therefore God dealt well with the midwives: and the people multiplied, and waxed very mighty. And it came to pass, because the midwives feared God, that he made them houses.

God did not reward the midwives for lying. He rewarded them for not doing the evil that Pharaoh wanted them to do.

The only reward for lying one can expect from God is punishment.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the Scripture doesn't say that they disobeyed Pharaoh and God rewarded them but tells what they told the Pharaoh and it says "Therefore...". I see that clearly as being tied into what they said. To have made it clearly tied to their action, it would have read that they saved the children and God rewarded them.

God dealt well with the midwives when they spoke to the Pharaoh and because they feared God, He gave them houses. I see two different actions and two different rewards.

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I agree with SFIC. The midwives were rewarded for saving the children, not for lying. If you read the verse this way:

It makes this much clearer to see.

love,

Sopranette

6. standingfirminChrist

But the midwives FEARED GOD and DID NOT what the king commanded...

There is why God rewarded them. Not because of their lying.

Lying is sin. Sin displeases God. One does not receive positive rewards for sin, only negative rewards.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Having just now run across this thread, I just voted in this poll, which is very unusual for me.

For a change, there is one 'option' available, that I really like in this poll. So I took it.

Namely, "I don't like the options in the poll (as usual...)." :thumbs:

Ed