1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there evidence for a young earth? (An experiment)

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by PlainSense Bible believer, Feb 22, 2005.

1. PlainSense Bible believer

Yes, post them please. I'll send them off to AiG for comment. After all, that is the whole point of this topic - to see what, if any, response comes back from AiG. As I said in my second post here, I am very encouraged with the response to this topic. It is not a case of either of us proving the other wrong - the whole point is to see and gauge Aig's response to critiscisms levied against them.

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I need to spend some time with my grandson, so you will have to be patient, but, God willing, I shall begin to post them soon. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PlainSense Bible believer

That's OK, no problem. I also need some time to get back to looking at 'Salty Seas' and then the earth's magnetic field (it is so easy to get side-tracked). Thanks for all your input.

PlainSense

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.parentcompany.com/creation_explanation/cx8e.htm

A Survey of Some Short-term Chronologies

For those who like to see evidence in favor of God's Word.

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As much as I appreciate UTEOTW's need to use old outdated studies to base his beliefs upon - when confronted with the latest science findings ---

Here is an interesting point on Helium.

In Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When someone writes that the account of the earth destroyed by Water and man surviving in the ark as God tells us -- is not really true, it reminds me of 2Peter 3 and 1 Peter 3.

How about you?

In Christ,

Bob

7. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Thus uranium content can be the basis for an estimate of the age..."

DID your "source" BOTHER to "tell" you THAT the UNCERTAINTY in the VALUE of the "efflux" is greater than THE "difference" between the EFFLUX and THE "equilibrium" AMOUNT? In "ENGLISH" this MEANS that "it" is "impossible" to DRAW "any" CONCLUSIONS "about" whether the SYSTEM is ACTUALLY "in" equilibrium OR NOT.

Did "your source" bother to GIVE you THIS "reference?"

"Some Preliminary Results on the Behaviour of Uranium Isotopes in the Gironde Estuary (France)," K. Smith, C. Organo, L. León Vintró and P.I. Mitchell

http://homepage.eircom.net/~radphys/biartz.pdf
    or this?

"238U removal and accumulation in Concepción bay sediments, Chile," Farías et al, Revista geológica de Chile v.27 n.2 Santiago dic. 2000.

http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0716-02082000000200005&lng=es&nrm=i

It "TURNS OUT" that much of the Uranium "is" REMOVED as the RIVERS "enter" the OCEAN when the "fresh" and "salt" water MIXES producing a RANGE of "salinities" some OF WHICH are "ideal" for "flocculation" of the uranium SALTS.

8. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Other short-term chronologies for the oceans are based upon the oceanic content of various chemical elements and compounds relative to the annual inflow of these substances from all known sources."

Did your source bother to tell you that if you go back to the original source that most of these are known to be in equilibrium and therefore cannot be used for dating? Those that are not known to be in equilibrium are not quantified accurately enough to know if they are in equilibrium or not.

Did they tell you that if you use aluminum off the chart that the earth can only be 100 years old! Do you believe in a 100 year old earth? Are you going to say that we should accept you source that would date the earth at 100 years? Except of course they will throw that one out. They'll ignore the flaws in their logic that this points out and cherry pick the ones that gives their predetermined date.

Such is the intellectual honesty of those attempting to prop up YE.

9. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Dr. Larry Vardiman's technical monograph, The Age of the Earth's Atmosphere, published in 1990, is the most recent survey of the helium problem.9 The atmosphere now contains..."

Yes and if you had checked th thread you would have seen that this has already been covered.

Banks, P. M. and T. E. Holzer. 1969. "High-latitude plasma transport; the polar wind" Geophysical Research Journal 74: 6317-6332

This was written 26 years before Vardiman wrote the article to which you linked. So there is no excuse for not knowing. Especially since Vardiman mentions polar wind near the end of the article.

According to Banks, the polar wind can account for 2 to 4 x 10^6 ions/cm2-sec of He-4. The estimated flux of helium by Vardiman to be 2 x 10^6 atoms/cm2-sec and by Banks to be 2.5 x 10^6 atoms/cm2-sec. So the rate of escape from the atmosphere is as much as or greater than the production rate. It seems that helium is in equilibrium and cannot be used to build a case for a young earth.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/3087/4.html#000049

"Another helium clock is provided by radiogenic gas trapped in very hot rocks deep in the earth's crust."

Oh, your talking about where the RATE guys take the most inconsistent part of a dataset because they can extrpolate it to something that fits their needs and ignore that most reproducable part of the dataset becuase it contradicts them. Someone else analyzed it much better than I could. I have the text but not the link. Sorry. Try Google if you need to track down the source.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, and neither were the penguins and the polar bears. :rolleyes:

If we had such an account, I would not deny it. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]We do have such an account. Jesus referred to a literal Noah as does Peter in 2 Peter 3 when he talkers about scoffers coming in the last days and denying the supernatural judgments of God in the past.

I won't rehash here but I have contended with UT before that common descent did occur... Animals speciated from a smaller beginning group using the genetic variability God gave them.

I don't think it would be necessary to include two of every "species" but rather representatives of each "kind" from which speciation could begin anew.

OTOH, Jesus feed 5000 with a few loaves and fish. Time and space don't seem to be tremendous limitations on what God has purposed to do.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in the Bible does it say that penguins can fly and that polar bears have wings or that God shipped them to the ark by Federal Express?

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, and BTW, we don't know how the land mass was configured before the flood. It was probably much different than now. There could have been land bridges between all major land masses- making the migration of distant animals to the ark while Noah was building no matter of concern.

12. Craigbythesea

"Speciation" is a synonym for "macroevolution." The only difference between Scott’s theory of evolution and the theory of evolution taught by scientists is that Scott’s theory of evolution has been proven in the laboratory to be IMPOSSIBLE but the scientists’ theory of evolution has NOT been proven impossible but rather demonstrated to be probable.

The fact of the matter is that at the time of the flood, if we accept Scott’s interpretation of Genesis, there were more that 2,000,000 genetically discrete populations of animals that we still have with us today. In addition, there were thousands of other genetically discrete populations of animals alive at the time of the flood that are known for a fact to have been with us since the flood but which have since perished. What this means, in a nutshell, is that it would have been ABOLUTELY AND POSSITIVELY necessary for a pair of EVERY ONE OF THESE 2,000,000+ genetically discrete populations of animals to be aboard the ark.

Scott and every other Christian fundamentalist on this message board should know by now what a genetically discrete population is even if they didn’t get passed the 2nd grade because this term has been defined over and over again on this message board. I suppose, however, that they are choosing to ignore this term and what it means because it PROOVES that the story of Noah’s Ark in Genesis CAN NOT be a literal account of an historic event. However, for those who may be new to this discussion, here is the definition of a genetically discrete population:

A genetically discrete population of animals is a group of animals that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring, but when any of them interbreed with an animal from a different group they produce non-fertile offspring.

Example: All horses belong to the same genetically discrete population and when interbred they produce fertile offspring. The same is true for donkeys. However, when a horse is interbred with a donkey, the progeny are non-fertile mules. Therefore, there MUST have been BOTH a pair of horses and a pair on donkeys on board the ark, and a pair from EVERY other genetically discrete population of animals. All 2,000,000+ of them. This is a fact that can not be denied!

Scott and his buddies like to point out that evolution depends upon chance mutations and that chance mutations result in the destruction of populations rather than the evolution of populations, but they change their story by 180 degrees when faced with 2,000,000+ genetically discrete populations of animals that necessarily would have been aboard the ark for these same genetically discrete populations of animals to be alive on the earth after the flood, and they say that these genetically discrete populations of animals “speciated” which is in reality macroevolution as the consequence of natural selection for favorable mutations. And it is an established fact that the amount of evolution required to produce from one pair of bears the many genetically discrete populations of bears that we have today would take tens of thousands of years. The same is also true of the other of animals that Scott would have us to believe evolved after the flood.

Scott is telling us that evolution is a lie popularized by atheists when writing of the time BEFORE the flood, but when he writes about the time AFTER the flood, he not only admits the truth of evolution, he strenuously argues that it actually occurred in million of cases! At least he admits that in order for Genesis to be a literal account of historic events, the theory of evolution must be true.

[​IMG]

13. Craigbythesea

We do, however, know for a fact how the land mass was configured for the past 20,000 years! We also know that penguins can't walk 10,000 miles and that polar bears would have died of heat stroke! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

14. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am familiar with this theory, but without much attention to whether those holding it were Baptists, Methodists, or whatever denomination. I don't doubt there are many Baptists who take this position, but to save the rest of us a lot of time researching who they are, would you post the names of some of those to whom you refer, along with any data that supports their percentage within the totality of Baptist Old Testament scholarship?

Also would you demostrate how you reconcile these seemingly contradictory statements?
    Both of these quotes are from your first post on page three, and the next from your second post on that page.
    Perhaps some of these statements are intended to have a limited meaning only, but I think you can see how they could cause confusion. Also, since you say your interpretation of Genesis is based exclusively on the text of Genesis itself, could you explain how, if at all, the New Testament should inform us on these "Genesis issues" (e.g. Creation, Noah's ark)? Thanks.

15. PlainSense Bible believer

If man's wisdom contradicts the Bible, then man's wisdom is wrong, however improbable we may think that to be.

"...with God nothing shall be impossible." (Luke 1:37)

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Speciation" is a synonym for "macroevolution."

No it isn't. In fact, no speciation has ever been proven by means of "macroevolution". We are not seeing the rise of species from simpler ancestors. We see, and the fossil record supports, variations within kinds of animals. Even evolutionists note that the animals of the Cambrian era arose quickly without clear lines to any simpler ancestor. The animals we have now are no more complex than those that arose suddenly at some point in the past.

You say billions of years ago. I say a few thousand years ago. You require many years because the genome was simple and had to be built up by (an unobserved) process of accummulating genetic complexity. I require a rich genome at creation because the Bible indicates a short period of time since life was created. You say that all animals ascended by a process that is not directly observed in nature. I say that all animals descended from original types that had greater genetic variability and that the species are a result of adaptation, isolation, and reinforcement. You say that the simple built up by a speculative process of acquired complexity. I say that the complex has tended toward the more simple by a process of deletion/trait reinforcement that does have proofs in nature.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I acknowledge that descendents of a breeding pair can lose genetic information due to environmental constraints. Last time I checked, evolution teaches that a gain takes place by some magic that cannot be directly observed nor recreated in a lab simulation of natural processes.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite honestly Craig, I don't believe the God of the Bible would have trouble fitting 4 trillion "genetically discrete species" on the Ark if He so chose.

The question of whether I will trust a pompous, condescending higher critic's account of what God did or trust what Moses wrote and Jesus and Peter affirmed is pretty easy to answer.

BTW, I had no trouble passing the 2nd grade... of course you could still assume that I am a liar or just plain stupid since you seem intent on categorizing anyone who differs with you on evolution as ignorant, deceptive, or stupid. OTOH, I could share my IQ scores with you and leave you with no other option than to call me a liar.

19. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"We see, and the fossil record supports, variations within kinds of animals."

Yes, if by "kind" you mean "life." The fossil record is completely incompatible with most YEers concepts of "kinds" however. The fossil record is actually most detailed in transitions among higher taxomic classifications which is just the opposite of what YEers allow under the "kinds" concept. The rise of the amphibians from the lobe finned fish. The evolution of the reptiles from the amphibians. The evolution of the mammals from the reptiles. YEers must arbitrarily and capriciously throw these out for no other reason than they canno accept them.

"Even evolutionists note that the animals of the Cambrian era arose quickly without clear lines to any simpler ancestor."

I do believe you have been misled. Not surprising as it is a common tactic by the leaders of the YE movement. You might want to read up of some of the actual data about the Cambrian. THis paper is available online.

Knoll, A. H. and Carroll, S. B. (1999). "Early Animal Evolution: Emerging Views from Comparative Biology and Geology." Science, 284(5423): 2129 - 2137.

http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Ecology/early_animal_evolution.htm

If that is not enough for you, then walk down to your local library and read the following book.

Conway Morris, S. (1998). The Crucible of Creation: The Burgess Shale and the Rise of Animals. New York, Oxford University Press.

Maybe you prefer to read online. A fellow Christian wrote this.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/evolution/PSCF12-97Miller.html

Spoiler alert! I am going to quote his concluding paragraph.

"The animals we have now are no more complex than those that arose suddenly at some point in the past."

I think the paragraph above covers this statement quite well.

20. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"You require many years because the genome was simple and had to be built up by (an unobserved) process of accummulating genetic complexity."

Billions of years because that is what the geology says. Let's not confuse the different areas here.

The process of gaining new genes is also observed. There are many cases of new genes and new functions and new pathways that heve been observed to evolve. Just because you continue to assert that it is unobserved and to hand wave away everything shown to you that is contrary does not make it go away.

"I require a rich genome at creation..."

There is no evidence for a rich genome. Or maybe you can point to some evidence of a rich genome that can accomplish what you claim.

"You say that all animals ascended by a process that is not directly observed in nature."

It is not just one process, it is many. And many are observed. Mutation...observed. Selection...observed. Migration...observed. ANd so on.

" Last time I checked, evolution teaches that a gain takes place by some magic that cannot be directly observed nor recreated in a lab simulation of natural processes.

No magic needed. Duplication and mutation, for example, is a powerful way of giving new genetic material.