1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there really a Calvinistic resurgence?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually this is how Calvinist got there foot in the door with SBC in the first place. They lied about there true beliefs. Promise keepers is one of the reasons how so many Calvinist are flocking back to Catholicism by the very same methods. One turn about deserves another.
    MB

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you think it good to deceive them about your own unorthodox beliefs. Simply tell them you believe as they do. [snip - personal attack and inflammatory]
    MB

#22 MB, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wow. Totally uncalled for.

glfrederick has a solid grip on the Faith once delivered to the Saints.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

What is interesting is that he just might have forgotten MORE theological stuff than you have read so far in your walk with Christ...

Might disagree with all of his beliefs, but do NOT doubt his salvation!

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'd encourage you to read up on your history. Many, if not most, of the founders of the SBC were unapologetically "reformed" or "Calvinistic" in their views. They didn't "slip" in as you seem to think. They have been around from the beginning and this issue has been a point of contention throughout the SBC's history.

6. JesusFan

Christian is free to believe in either cal/Arm/Other but truth is Armianism is what 'slippedin through the cracks!"

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

That is just as erroneous as MB's statement. There have been Calvinists, Arminians, and many somewhere in between from the beginning of the SBC. No one group "slipped in."

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I liken it to a "Blended" Whiskey:smilewinkgrin:

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then by your own admission there are other views of this besides yours Which means I'm not alone in what I believe about the SBC. There are other members here of the SBC who are not reformed. It has never been completely reformed except in a calvinist day dream.
    Some have said the same about fundamental Baptist although for someone who believes in the fundamentals of scripture certainly cannot entertain calvinism because it is not fundamental. It is extrabiblical.
    MB

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please place your proof after this post?
    MB

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check your messages

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Nobody can label these methods as subterfuge. Looks pretty wide open to me.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Wrong. Winman says that he has no need of ANY teachers at all because he has the Holy Ghost. Quantum supports Winman's assertion with as many thumbs up as baptistboard will allow in a single post.

And scholarship is unarguably essential before one speaks out on such grave matters as those which could honor or undermine the person of Almighty God and influence for good or evil the eternal souls of men.

The character of God is what we are discussing and before you (anyone) go haphazardly saying things about it that you do not understand you'd better humble yourself and receive some teaching by God gifted teachers on these matters along WITH your own personal study.

The haphazard handling of the most sacred thing in the universe, the character and name of God, is unspeakable blasphemy.

#33 Luke2427, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If you knew the FIRST THING about SBC history you'd know that the MAJORITY of SBC's in her origins were Calvinists.

We did not sneak in- We were the majority FIRST.

Our first SBC president was a Calvinist. In fact, the first SEVERAL SBC presidents were Calvinists.

Our first and largest SBC seminary was a Calvinist institution.

Most of our associations, if I recall from my study, which had confessions or statements of faith were Calvinistic.

If anybody "snuck" in, it was you guys who have no systematic theology.

#34 Luke2427, Jul 8, 2011
  15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Then easy-believism starting creeping in. From which theological viewpoint did this easy-believism stem?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Finney perhaps? Thats an interesting question though. If most of the Appalachian people in the South from (Scots, Irish, Welsh & English linage) were originally all Calvinists, how did this transformation to Free Will take place?

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Backwoodsy tent revivals which were heavy on emotionalism and light on theological depth contributed.

This spun off from Finney's revival.

I do not think it is a coincidence that Pentecostalism rose in this culture just as Calvinism went on the decline in SBC life.

There was a near full scale abandonment of thoughtful and scholastic conservative theology in this culture during this time.

It was also about this time that teetotalism grew to prominence- which is another evidence, imo, of the lack of scholarship among Christians in our country. The church had NEVER on a broad scale condemned the moderate consumption of alcohol before. This came with the rise of ignorance, imo.

KJV onlyism was not far behind.

Also about this time or a little thereafter Gospel music rose to prominence and replaced the dominance of the great, deep theological and rich hymns that we tended to use in worship.

Southern Gospel spawned from that and MOST of it, imo, is so shallow it is hardly worth nodding at, much less singing in worship services. NOT ALL OF IT MIND YOU!!! But let's face it- Gaither music cannot hold a candle to Isaac Watts and Charles Wesley. NOT THAT ALL GAITHER MUSIC IS SHALLOW!!!

We seemed to embrace ignorance and hold in disdain scholarship about the turn of the 20th century. Calvinism and scholarship tend to rise and fall together.

18. JesusFan

Just was doing a "play on words" here!
    trying to show how it sounds to Cals when Arms make "goofy" statements like what I made!

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...oh, so true and so sad. I actually should read the Old School Hymnal more than I do, it is so full of deep, spiritual, theological truths from centuries past.

#39 kyredneck, Jul 8, 2011
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, how many cant move away from the Piano! :smilewinkgrin: I like A Capella singing !!!!

What did our ancestors do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.