1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is your church dissatisfied with the pastor you have?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opps, title should be "Is your CHURCH dissatisfied with the pastor you have?"

The best advice I can give

If a church wants a better pastor,
    It only needs to pray for the one it has.

and pray he will be the ideal pastor

#1 Salty, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
  2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I aaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm the pastor, Salty!!!

I adapted the same philosphy as I heard the late, great Dr. Adrian Rogers say of himself

You can go out tomorrow morning and find a preacher that can preach the gospel better than I can----but you will never find a preacher that can preach a better gospel than I can!!

Then another one by Evangelist Bill Stafford

What you see------is what you get!!!!!

Blackbird
    :saint::saint:

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My church is quite satisfied with the pastor. It must be, he's been there for 10 years.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

We have a new pastor; he has been there for about six months. We are all thrilled with him.

5. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

The church I attended as a teenager through my young adult life, had a pastor that when he was called away, no one wished him (any of them) to go. (My "other" mother, even threatened to unpack their things as fast as they packed them.)

That was many years ago. We, (another former member) received an e-mail just last week. His son (Mike) is in serious physical distress. (Serious. "And", he is in a lot of pain.)

I learned a lot from Bro. Johnny. Our church ordained me into my own church more than thirty years ago. They mean a lot to me.

Please pray for Mike.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I expect it is much like the saying about neighbors:

If you are unhappy with the current pastor you will be unhappy with the future pastor.

I have liked all my pastors. Each had their strengths and weaknesses. No surprise there as they were/are human and I expect them to be human.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would say that from what I have seen the church I attend overall is satisfied with the current Pastor although they are slow to follow his leading. He is limited by the Deacons and certain members as to how fast things take place or what takes place. They do not always follow his advice.
    I can tell that he is gradually using a type of mind control to get them to come around to follow him.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Not that I know of! He's awesome. One cool thing to watch in him is that when he gets honestly fired up, he just goes off and talks fast and his speech is perfect and you know he's not really there anymore, just the preachin' and the Word. It's a neat thing to see.

Other than that he causes me trouble though. LOL Like the other night when he said said something about people going on tweeter. (he meant twitter) Every Sunday evening I can count on one mispronunciation somewhere between the start and 1/4 mark that I have to fight to not fall off my chair laughing over. I think half has to do with him having an Oklahoma accent that I still can't get used to so a mispronounced word becomes ten times funnier to me with the accent attached.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While our pastor is certainly not perfect, I do love him as do most everyone at our church. I've not heard any rumblings of things like "He needs to leave". :) He's been at our church since 1968 - a VERY long time - and he's raised up many pastors under his teaching, some of whom have moved on into other churches (sent with our blessing). I thank God for his teaching and mentoring of my own husband (hubby is one of the pastors he raised up and trained). :)

10. Osage Bluestem

I love our pastor. He's doing a great job. You can tell he really cares. God uses him in wonderful ways.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry guys, but MY pastor is the best!! :laugh:

He is an awesome preacher and a very Godly man. I trust him to lead and teach our church.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

I appreciate our pastor for the following reasons:
    • He is who he's supposed to be, all the time. Of course he isn't perfect--but he's consistent. His character doesn't get called into question.
    • Of all the pastors I've served under, he does the best job of balancing very fine line:
      • Most of the time, he lets his staff do the job as they are gifted and motivated to do.
      • When he feels it's absolutely necessary, he doesn't mind stepping in and saying, "Do this."
    • He actually has a sense of humor. A real one...not the fake preacher one.
    • He's a hard worker. But he's not a workaholic. He doesn't mind saying, "We need you to work harder;" or, "Go home...see the family."
    • Of what I consider the "Big Three" duties of a pastor (the three realms of responsibility in the average church)--Preaching, shepherding, administrative--he does all three fairly well.
    • He's a normal guy...he doesn't use bibliospeak; he doesn't cut his grass in his dress socks; normal people can have normal conversations with him.
    Like I said..not perfect...but fun to work alongside, and for.

Oh, and the most important thing...he has GREAT taste in youth ministers. He's hired one of the best in the world...and one of the most modest! :eek: :D :D

13. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Our church has a pastor who is not real experienced, makes a lot of mistakes, and stumbles his way through most situations. However, he loves the congregation like his own family.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

A good friend of mine paid a great compliment to a church one time:

He said, "(church name) will do their very best to not let you fail."

Wow, what an encouragement for one in ministry! Now...of course we all screw things up...but a church who approaches its pastor with that--I think God will bless them for that attitude.

15. Ternera

Ternera New Member

Our pastor is a wonderful man! He is so caring, and understanding, and kind. Is he perfect? No, and nobosy is perfect. But certainly he does a great job. God bless him and his awesome wife!!!

16. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church's pastor must be doing OK. He'll finish up his 8th year this coming Sunday, and he hasn't been run off yet. Of course, it might just be that it's easier to put up with the old pastor than to try and find a new one!

When I left my last church to come here, one of the deacons told me, "They're getting a far better pastor then we got when you came here." It took me a few minutes to realize that it was a complement. I pray that if God moves me from here that the folks here can say the same thing.

I heard about a church that ran their pastor off ever year. The brought in a new guy and after about 4 years, he asked why he hadn't been run off. One old deacon said, "Boy, we don't really want a pastor here, and you're about the closest thing to not having one we're ever had."