1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Islam converts, opportunists or victims of missionaries

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Wesley Briggman, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christianity grows in Syrian town once besieged by Islamic State - Reuters

"“They seemed happy and all talked about love. That’s when I decided to follow Jesus’s teachings,” Maxim Ahmed, 22, said, adding that several friends and family were now interested in coming to the new church."

"Some in Kobani reject the growing Christian presence. They say Western Christian aid groups and missionaries have exploited the chaos and trauma of war to convert people and that local newcomers to the religion see an opportunity for personal gain."

No mention of or credit given to the convicting work of the Holy Spirit.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you are not going to get solid theological reporting from Reuters. Second, we just do not know whether these are genuine converts or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as it has always been, there will always be some who are sincerely coming to God and some who really seek worldly opportunity, including some who inwardly are wolves. Every pastor and every flock should be aware of this and get prepared, and remain so.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really cannot say one way or the other as only God knows the true nature of the situation... I will leave it in his hands... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have friends who have worked with the refugees in Syria as missionaries. There is no need to be skeptical of their sincerity, any more than one needs to be skeptical of converts in the United States. In fact, converting to Christianity is much more dangerous for them in the event that ISIS or another terrorist group comes to power.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has been said, I don't think one should expect very much in the way of theology from Reuters. Here's something from a Christian source: 'The World Behind Me, The Cross Before Me'—New Christians in Syria Risk It All to Follow Jesus
    There does seem to be something remarkable happening in several Middle eastern countries, including Iran. Don't forget to pray, and maybe to give.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1