1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Mar 17, 2022.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated (Romans 9:13)

Probably the most used verse by the Reformed/Calvinist, to “prove”, that God loves the “elect”, and hates those who are the “non-elect”. It is clear when left in the context, that it says no such thing!

“For being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him who calls, it was said to her, “The elder will serve the younger.” Even as it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? May it never be! For he said to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who has mercy” (verses 11-16)

I would like any who believe this, to show that this passage teaches “Divine election to salvation”? It is very clear to those who don't read this, indeed the entire chapters 9-11, from the Reformed/Calvinist, perspective, that Paul is here discussing God's CHOOSING of Jacob over Easu, even though Jacob is the younger brother. This is the “ἐκλογή (election)”, which basically means, “the act of picking out, choosing” (Thayer), which Paul here means. Further, Paul even tells us what this “Choice” of God is, “The elder will serve the younger”, something that is not usually done in Jewish families. See what Paul actually says, “the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him who calls, it was said to her, “The elder will serve the younger.”. Clear contest speaks of SERVING, and nothing to do with any “Divine election to salvation”, which is forced into this passage! Even the words that follow, ““I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who has mercy”, are about this CHOICE of God in PREFERRING Jacob over Esau, in SERVING, which is exactly what happened in the Account in Genesis. There is nothing in Genesis that says anything about God “electing Jacob to salvation”, because He loved him, and hated Esau!

What about the Bible saying, that God hates Esau? Can this be used to say that God actually “hates” those who will never be saved?

The Greek verb used here, is “μισέω”, where the original meaning is “to dislike”, and not “to detest”. It is also used in “preference”, where one person is “preferred” to another. This use of the word is very clear in the passage in Genesis 29, where we read: “When the LORD saw that Leah was hated (μισέω), he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren” (verse 31). Verse 30 tells actually defines this Greek word perfectly, “So Jacob went in to Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served Laban for another seven years”. Clearly, Jacob did not “hate or detest” Leah, but that he “preferred” Rachel to her! Jesus says in the Gospels, “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate (μισέω) his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple” (Luke 14:26). Jesus is not saying that we are to “detest”, our own families, but, rather, to love Him MORE than anyone, or anything else!. We can see this is John 21, where Jesus says to Peter, “"Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these others do?" "Yes, Master," was his answer; "you know that you are dear to me” (verse 15). Not, do you “hate and detest” the others!

The Second of the Greatest Commandment that Jesus give us, is: “The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these”. If God Incarnate tells us to “love” our neighbour, which is basically our fellow-human, then how can He literally “hate” Esau, or the “non-elect”? In Matthew 5:43-44, again Jesus says, ““You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you”. Would Jesus tell us to love our enemies, and yet He Himself does not? In Mark 10:17, we read of the man who asked Jesus, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”. There is not indication in any of the Gospel Accounts, that this man was ever saved, nor that he is “elect”. Yet, in verse 21, Mark says, “Jesus looking at him LOVED him, and said to him, “One thing you lack. Go, sell whatever you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me, taking up the cross.” The same Greek word, “ἀγαπάω”, that is used in John 3:16!

“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life” (NLT)

There are some, who, for theological reasons, argue that God's love here is limited to His “elect”, and take “τὸν κόσμονn (the world)”, to mean this. Let us say, for the sake of argument, that here “τὸν κόσμον”, does mean only the “elect”. To paraphrase this, “for God greatly loves the elect, that He gave His Unique Son, that anyone from this elect believes in Him, shall not be lost, but have eternal life”. This says, that there will be some, who are part of this “elect world”, who will actually be lost! This is clear from verse 18, that says “they who believe is not condemned, but they who don’t believe are already condemned”. Can this really all be true for the “elect”? It is absurd to think this is what the passage is saying! It would have been much easier, and clearer, if John wrote, “For God so loves the ἐκλεκτός…”; or, “For God so loves the ἐκλεκτός κόσμος…”. There can be no doubt, that contextually, “τὸν κόσμον”, can only mean, “the entire human race”. Or, as John Calvin says, “EVERYONE WITHOUT EXCEPTION”. Note, that he does not use the Calvinistic term, “EVERYONE WITHOUT DISTINCTION”.

Interestingly, we don’t see Psalm 106:40-43 quoted by the Reformed/Calvinist, in the discussion about God “hating”. This verse says, “Therefore Yahweh burned with anger against His people. He abhorred (תּעב, to detest) His inheritance. He gave them into the hand of the nations. Those who hated them ruled over them. Their enemies also oppressed them. They were brought into subjection under their hand. He rescued them many times, but they were rebellious in their counsel, and were brought low in their iniquity”. This is God’s own People, His Inheritance, His Elect Nation, the Children of Israel!

When we allow the Bible to speak for Itself, without forcing our theology into what it means, it is clear that GOD LOVES THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE WITH A SAVING LOVE!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not. I don't even need to read the rest of your post.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...it's just the same ol' rambling of CDS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see as usual you can't respond to the OP from the Bible :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roman 9 is a pretty powerful case for the sovereignty of God. But you are right about the use of "hate" in the Bible. In fact your OP above is very well argued if you ask me. As humans, we need to be careful about questioning why God does something and also about speaking for God and his motives when we have no right to comment. I think just the book of Job will make you a Calvinist. Just read how everyone is rebuked for their commenting on why this or that happened, and how God claims complete rights to do as he wishes. Take Job along with the answers Jesus gives when asked about why a man was born blind, or his discussion about people who the tower of Siloam fell on or the people attacked by Pilate while worshipping. It seems to me that one thing that will offend God is for us to say "Why in the world have you done this!" I also think that speaking of Esau, I'm glad the scripture in Romans 9 uses Jacob and Esau because we have a lot of info about them from other scriptures. They are perfect examples supporting Calvinism. Esau was completely profane and cared nothing for the things of God. He earned everything anyone said about him. Jacob though chosen for blessing was a dishonest scheming individual with nothing to recommend him by way of personal virtue either.

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    only when a Calvinist reads it! :D

I have read this Book many times over the years, and I am not a Calvinist!

The Book of Jonah is against Calvinism, and teaches that God also loves those who are the non-elect, as Israel were in the OT, and yet He chooses to save a wicked people, in the city of Nineveh!

Jonah the Calvinist:

"But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. He prayed to Yahweh, and said, “Please, Yahweh, wasn’t this what I said when I was still in my own country? Therefore I hurried to flee to Tarshish, for I knew that you are a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness, and you relent of doing harm. Therefore now, Yahweh, take, I beg you, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.” Yahweh said, “Is it right for you to be angry? (Chapter 4-1-4)

God Who Loves Universally:

"Shouldn’t I be concerned for Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred twenty thousand persons who can’t discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much livestock?” (4:11)

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not even close.

I only appeal to that when some novice asserts, "God loves you!"

That's probably why you've heard it so much. LOL!

Show me Edom's stone on the breastplate of the high priest, and I will concede to everything you've said.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    same lame non responses!

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. The elect, according to the flesh, descended through Jacob. That was the choice of God as Jacob and Esau were absolutely equal. There was nothing to commend Jacob above Esau. Though Esau esteemed his appetite above his birthright, Jacob was a liar, and who is the father of lies?

So far from being a non-response, it is the most perferct reproof supplied by the Lawgiver Himself. Who was represented by the high priest on the Day of Atonement? Edom, the children of Esau? Or Israel, that is, Jacob?

• Like Like x 1
  10. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say let the scripture speak for itself. We do know that God had mercy on Nineveh. We know that a very unlikely people actually sat in sackcloth and ashes from the king on down. That is amazing. Some say it wasn't really salvation but I don't buy that. You almost never see that kind of repentance on that scale. I have read, and I don't know how accurate it is, that the Ninevites would be unbelievably cruel when they attacked their neighbors and their wickedness was well known. There is no evidence God found any innate virtue in them. We aren't told why he allowed them to get a special warning instead of just destroying them. I see Calvinism in Jonah but you're right, you also see men interacting with God in a real way in real time and their decision mattered. I personally don't think Calvinism teaches otherwise though.

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    not to the human mind, but according to God's Plans and Pusposes!

12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you mean reformed/calvinists? they would! Jesus disagrees

Matthew 12:41
    The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas [is] here.

13. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the next time some bright eyed college kid from Cru walks up and says "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life". You can say "Actually, he probably hates you and you are toast." That's a new approach! (I'm just joking.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    everyone (I use this in the Calvinitic sense :Wink) who believes that Jesus Christ Died only for the "elect", should be honest when preaching and witnessing, and tell those present, I have really GREAT NEWS for all of you, Jesus Christ Died only for the "elect", that is, a very small minority of you, and only these can really be saved, the rest will end up in hell, as you can do nothing about this! Not to preach what you believe, is not being honest!

15. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, that wouldn't be a bad lead in for a sermon if you followed it by explaining how you know you are elect. You could tell them that if you feel conviction and feel that God is calling you to repentance and have now started feeling that what we say about Jesus being a savior to those who come to him is true - you can come. He is inviting you. And if you do that I have direct scriptural authority to tell you you are of the elect. But I would have to give credit to John Owen because that is from a sermon of his in the 1600's.

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you definitely a "Calvinist", or just appearing to be one?

17. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9 is a continuation of thought from Romans 8.
    Romans 8:29-30
    For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory.

Paul then tells us how this election and choosing is from God in Romans 9.

Romans 9:4-5,7-8,10-13
    They are the people of Israel, chosen to be God’s adopted children. God revealed his glory to them. He made covenants with them and gave them his law. He gave them the privilege of worshiping him and receiving his wonderful promises. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are their ancestors, and Christ himself was an Israelite as far as his human nature is concerned. And he is God, the one who rules over everything and is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

Being descendants of Abraham doesn’t make them truly Abraham’s children. For the Scriptures say, “Isaac is the son through whom your descendants will be counted,” though Abraham had other children, too.

This means that Abraham’s physical descendants are not necessarily children of God. Only the children of the promise are considered to be Abraham’s children. This son was our ancestor Isaac. When he married Rebekah, she gave birth to twins. But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. (This message shows that God chooses people according to his own purposes; he calls people, but not according to their good or bad works.) She was told, “Your older son will serve your younger son.” In the words of the Scriptures, “I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau.”

So we see the progression of how God justifiably chooses Gentiles and Jews to graciously be saved. We go on to see that there is a point where we can see that God confirms his rejection of Esau.
    Hebrews 12:16-17
    Make sure that no one is immoral or godless like Esau, who traded his birthright as the firstborn son for a single meal. You know that afterward, when he wanted his father’s blessing, he was rejected. It was too late for repentance, even though he begged with bitter tears.

So, the OP seems to misunderstand the context of Paul's argument and misses the whole because of his narrow minded dislike of God's Sovereignty over salvation. The OP wants to be the driver of the car and just wants God to be a navigator. Unfortunately for him, God will have nothing to do with such a status.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was John Owen a Calvinist? I admit that if all I heard about Calvinism came from the writings of the Young, Restless and Reformed or internet sites post 2000 I would run from it as fast as I could. But I started reading Bunyan, Watson then Edwards and Owen, and later guys like Bonar and Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones. I can tell that I have a different perspective than some of the others on here but there is a wide range of Calvinists from Hard Shell and Primitive Baptists, hyperCalvinists, to Spurgeon loving Baptist moderate Calvinists. The first sermon I ever read from Spurgeon was from Sword of the Lord and yes, I had my own subscription. I don't mind people going at it here, on a debate forum but I don't consider guys like you to be idiots or heretics. I learn from the discussions. When I first got on here some of the Calvinist's were let's just say not charitable to me. Another thing to keep in mind, you hear me always quoting Puritan's - not all Calvinists like them either, although I have never seen anyone attack Owen.

19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you said in #15

You could tell them that if you feel conviction and feel that God is calling you to repentance and have now started feeling that what we say about Jesus being a savior to those who come to him is true - you can come. He is inviting you.

this is not the language that a Reformed/Calvinist would use! You talk about God INVITING, and FEELING of conviction. Sounds like the opposite camp!

20. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read a lot of the Puritans and John Owen in one of his question and answer formats (they used that a lot, like a catechism), went over that. Someone asks "I'm afraid that I might not be one of the elect". And that was his answer.

Remember you have two things going on here. One is a doctrinal or theological framework which tries to explain the order of salvation and tries to emphasize God's sovereignty, which I think is correct. But there is a point where an individual hears the word, feels conviction, and starts thinking all this stuff might be true. At that point their only duty is to flee to Christ. They can rest assured that Christ will have them. You don't have to believe me but I can tell you that that does not go against Calvinistic teaching. Is it hard to reconcile? Yes, if you are a human being with an IQ of 85-130, and that covers most of us, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.