1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured JC pennys Now 'officially" A gay friendly Company!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what Would jesus Do?

To me, would like like IF family bookstore went from having Bibles that gay or stright can equally buy to read, to actually coming out and supporting the Niv gay bible, highlighting verses 'supporting" that lifestyle!

2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

See, this is what I was saying.....what do you do when it inconveniences you? There's a lot of companies on those lists....some we can't avoid doing business with if we want to continue with our normal lifestyle. Is it worth giving up wearing jeans all together? Are you willing to give up using a computer? Never use Google again? How about your medications? If you discovered the company that produces your blood pressure meds, insulin, or other life saving medications also produces abortifacants...will you stop using them? Where do you draw the line in the sand?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently a lot of folks have boycotted JC Penney. And the detractors said the boycott would be toothless.

http://action.afa.net/email/online....urce=smAFA&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1903

(Thanks to Mandym for the link.)

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Merely a coincidence, IMO. The price tanked due to reinventing doing business the way they had for over 100 years by going to an "every day price" and discontinuing all coupons and sales. The new business model is to blame for the junk status rating...not the gay friendly marketing.

5. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

In the temporary, I believe that a boycott can work (this is evidence of it). HOWEVER, it's what's in the long run that counts. They'll stop openly advertising two gay guys with their child on the commercials, but continue to support behind the scenes. AFA will be happy because the commercials aren't broadcast anymore....BUT, unless these companies stop supporting completely did the boycott REALLY work???

6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

btw, just as a side note...I support AFA and the work they do. Our family and church participate in these boycotts....but I still wonder if they affect long-lasting and permanent results. (my poor husband may have to start wearing his robe lol...JCP is the only place I've been able to find dress slacks that fit him and I have stopped shopping there.)

#46 DiamondLady, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are correct in that the new marketing strategy must shoulder most of the blame. But there must be a failure component to the gay strategy as well. I presume that Penney's had pockets of the country where they didn't run the gay ads, and has data on same store sales increase/decrease on all of this.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

FWIW, the marketing guy has been fired. Whether we continue to see the gay friendly junk remains to be seen...it may have gone with him. I sure hope so.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there ever "concidences' though with a Sovereign God?

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering people are using the comparison of ant hills to mountains and would use such an excuse to justify staying neutral or passive on all issues when it comes to any opposition to the promotion of the homosexual agenda by marketers makes this conversation rather silly.

Gay C. Penny’s CEO efforts to portray “alternative lifestyles” as a wholesome part of American consumer culture may just backfire on them yet, if it hasn’t already. My prayer is that it does and my efforts, for one, will be directed toward not supporting them.

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God responsible for Gay C. Penny's new agenda through sovereign determination? How about the color of the socks you chose to wear today? :rolleyes:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it has anything to do with staying neutral or passive. Some of us just don't view the boycott as anything of substance. With 1100 stores and hundreds of thousands of employees, why is hurting the livelihood of innocent people effective in getting back at a handful of suits making the marketing decisions? If anything any backlash needs to start internally.

As has already been stated, unless you grow your own food and make your own clothes you are supporting many things you do not want to. Selectively choosing a handful of companies doesn't make sense to me.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not directly causing it, as that would be promoting sin, but did allow it to happen, maybe in a way to wake up his church and get on the right side of things!

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has already been stated in depends where one draws the line. All I have to add to that is I am glad not everyone uses such reasoning to avoid acting according to their values as there would be no deterrent for companies to take the lead in the charge to reform the public to accept their worldly values and push the line unoposed ever further at all.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that makes logical sense, not. Not "directly"causing, because, but in some way determined it through "allowing it" for a reason, eh?...:sleep: See my signature.

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

HEY, a lot of gay guys will also be wearing those jeans now. :laugh:

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    no, God allowing it to happen! ALL things would HAVE to either determined/caused by Him, or he would have to permit it to pass, correct?

19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to make up your mind whether God is responsible for the actions for men which cause evil or not. Seems you want it both ways. But both ways can't be true, bud...
    That's why I told you to read my signature.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who is avoiding acting according to their values? This is merely begging the question...assuming your boycott is somehow upholding superior values to one who finds it of little value and somewhat hypocritical if only certain companies are targeted. We have the same anti gay values as believers.

#60 webdog, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012