1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured JC pennys Now 'officially" A gay friendly Company!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Jul 13, 2012.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like my cheerleader. I'm boycotting this thread.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, well, I suspect the truth is that many have bought into the dogma that anyone who would boycott must be a hater, especially if it is a controversial issue involving morality and responsibility. So be aware.

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While this is true....a boycott is not really a "Great Commission" issue, it is a socio-political one...It is a cultural issue. No doubt the Great Commission says nil about boycotts, but it also says nothing about voting for pro-life candidates. It says basically nothing about making any attempt to alter the culture around you. No one, who was focused solely upon accomplishing the Great Commission would have fought for the equal civil rights of blacks in America. No one solely obsessed with the Great Commission would have fought for abolition, they would have given the gospel to slave-owners, and then sat on their laurels and done nothing.

An utterly depraved culture is a culture where the Great Commission is harder to accomplish. A good General (if Sun Tzu is to believed) wins a battle...then he fights it.

No, it isn't directly a Great Commission thing, neither was defeating Hitler in WWII. Can Orthodox Jews or even morally sane non-Christians engage in some socio-cultural activism? Sure they can. They should be encouraged to. There is nothing wrong with moral people attempting to have a positive effect upon their world and culture.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody dies at JC Penny. Nobody is enslaved there either. You wrote, "No one solely obsessed with the Great Commission would have fought for abolition, they would have given the gospel to slave-owners, and then sat on their laurels and done nothing." Isn't God powerful enough to see the proclamation of His Gospel through to the end? The GC doesn't say that we preach until we get the results we want. It just says Go and Preach.

So shall My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
    Isaiah 55:11 NAS77

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I do not understand the strange, unnatural fixation so many Baptists have with gay people.

You don't want to shop at Penney's, then don't. Who cares?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen Brother!

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a fixation with gay people, it's about opposition to certain gay rights. It's about opposition to codifying sin into law and changing the definition of marriage.

8. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand the strange reasoning being used here to support and attempt to protect the homosexual agenda; you’d think the decision to stand up against those who are blatantly out to promote those types of values in our society would be an easy one and people would care… Christian people anyway.

It is obvious, as was previously mentioned here, that the shamefacedness of the issue is under attack by JC Penny. Most intelligent people can see what they are doing by pushing this line, yet some here would go as far as to say “who cares” and other cheer for them.

9. Magnetic Poles

Why oppose human rights for anyone? If your not gay, you're good to go. It doesn't infringe on your rights to have other people have the same.

Seriously, I don't get the issue. My marriage is not one iota diminished if civil unions or gay marriage are allowed. If people care about protecting marriage, work toward lowering the divorce rate, which does impact kids and devastate families.

#109 Magnetic Poles, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again solid point. Do not operate by fear....rather live by Christian example & teach your kids the truth about honoring God with right & obedient behavior. Thats the way to be proactive my bretheren.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you haven't thought it through. Do you have children? Allowing gay marriage will inevitably lead to your children being asked if they aspire to marry a boy or a girl. Or how about the degradation of the need for both man and a woman in child rearing. Or adoption agencies no longer being able to put priority on a husband and wife couple vs. a single parent or gay married people. Gay marriage will lead to an erosion in gender distinction. Do you want your child to grow up and have the option to be either prom queen or prom king?

Please name me a religious system throughout history that has advocated same-sex marriage. Same sex marriage has traditionally been opposed by Jews, Christians, and Muslims. Does it make sense to throw out thousands of years of religious traditions just so same sex people can say, "I'm married", rather than saying "I have a partner"?

When it comes down to it, gays want to be able to say "I'm married". They are not satisfied with having the exact same civil rights as hetero married people, they want that and the title.

How is your marriage affected if same-sex marriage is legalized? Every time you tell someone you are married they will have to allow for the idea that you are gay. You want people to think that?

12. Magnetic Poles

Who would ask such a question? And that would not make them gay to be asked anyway.

Many single parents don't have this today, yet they do a great job with their kids.

Gay couples adopt today. It doesn't make their kids gay. They are who they are.

Any evidence to back up erosion of gender distinction? And the prom queen question is nonsensical.

We are not talking religious systems. We are talking civil government.

It is more than that. They want to be able to be with their partner when hospitalized. To make decisions for one another if they are incapacitated. Things they are denied today.

What people think is of no matter to me. It doesn't change who I am, nor my marriage. I am secure in myself and my marriage. Nothing will change if the law changes.

The problem is the word marriage means two things...one is a civil contract, the other is a religious pact. You can change the first and leave the second alone. Churches would not be required to solemnize gay couples' relationships, but the state and employers could no longer discriminate.

I still fail to see the problem.

#112 Magnetic Poles, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ole “homophobic” card play now. I wondered how long it would take or if someone would have the gall to allude to and would resort to that argument. It is a shame that so many have bought into the dogmas of the worldly which are designed to conform others to their values and would speak according to such ignorance.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
    (Rom 12:2)

“Why oppose human rights for anyone”?!? Really!? :rolleyes: The abortionists think it is their human right to do what they please with their body so that they can live the way they want to live. That should tell you something about valuing human rights over moral principles in a society in which one lives.

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
    (Luk 6:45-49)

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duh.............

15. Magnetic Poles

Intelligent rebuttal. :rolleyes:

Look, a person can believe gay marriage is wrong, an abomination, or whatever. However, you cannot legislate your personal morality, religion, or belief onto others. As the maxim goes, my right to swing my fists ends where your nose begins.

If the Bible were the law of the land, then you'd probably be right. However, we live under a secular government, based on the Constitution of the United States. You should not mix the two.

16. mandym

mandym New Member

All laws are based on someone's morality.

17. Magnetic Poles

True, but it is the morality of the society, not any religious group. The opposition to this seems based on Biblical mandates, while our society is moving toward accepting these relationships.

18. Magnetic Poles

Bottom line is I look at it this way, guys. Tomorrow it could be MY rights up for a vote. Or YOURS. I don't believe we should be voting on which rights we allow any segment of society to exercise. Unless all are free, none of us are.

To again quote Thomas Jefferson, "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their peers.

Sure, but it's not the ideal situation.

Sure, but it's not the ideal situation.

The "T" in GLBT. The move is on towards unisex bathrooms on campuses.

Governments made up of people of religious beliefs and traditions.

I am saying that even if they had full equal legal rights as married people that is not good enough for them. They want to be able to say "I'm married" which makes it equal in their minds (and cheapens my marriage.)

Sure it will. People will ask, "Are you married?" Answer: "Yes." What will be unclear is whether or not that person will know for sure if you are hetero or not. If you say you are OK and secure with someone thinking you're gay, I don't believe you.

We are overturning centuries of tradition for a small, loud minority who are hung up on semantics.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allow gays to enter into civil unions and have the same full legal rights as married people. Hospital visits, inheritance, and whatever other inequities could be fixed. But don't call it marriage.

I just don't understand it. If someone is gay and wants to proclaim it the term "civil union" pretty much describes the situation to every one involved. But no, they want to say they're married.