1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jeremiah 18: Romans 9 De-Calvinized

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is the Son of God, the word made flesh.
    A "Jew" in the sense of being directly descended, in the flesh, from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

A member of the tribe of Judah and of the house of David. :)
    The same as this:

" Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." ( Jeremiah 1:5 ).

God "foreknew" a person in the same sense as Psalms 139 tells us...
    It's the complete opposite of " I never knew you..." in Matthew 7:23;
    "I never loved you".

God's love is a love in action, and that action was,
    He sent a Saviour in the Person of His Son, who saved His people from their sins ( Matthew 1:21 ).

#21 Dave G, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I admire you for your honesty.
    Still, when I did the same as you and simply sat down and read it for myself, I gradually began to see the opposite.

The more that I completely ignored systematic theologies and blocked out other influences,
    the more the words on the pages began to sink into my mind, and the more I began to see the truth of what is commonly called "Calvinism"...

At least in the "Five Points" now known as " T.U.L.I.P.".
    Notwithstanding that the objector in Jeremiah 18 is the rebellious sinner described in Jeremiah 18:12, I don't see them doing that at all.

Rather, I see them taking the side of God ( for the most part ), and agreeing with Him when He point-blank tells His people that were it not for Him and His irresistible grace that is bestowed upon men ( through no conscious effort of their own ),
    they would have never willingly chosen to obey Him...

Even if it meant their eternal damnation, torment and suffering in the Lake of Fire that burns forever and ever.:Sick

The above stated, I wish you well, @Humble Disciple ...
    May God bless you with His wisdom and knowledge, and with many blessings as you live the days that the Lord has allotted to you in this life.

#22 Dave G, Aug 1, 2021
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And now you must be destroyed. Calvinists cannot let that stand.

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your first sentence is entirely false. It seems you have a week grasp of the doctrines of grace and are vacillating with no clear compass. That's fine, but stop imagining you are a spokesman for Reformed doctrine.

Election is before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1) and is solely by God's mysterious will, good and perfect in every way.

There is no need to "go to bat" for anyone here. We stand or fall on God's word.

5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free will = enslaved to Satan unless enslaved to God.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fourth paragraph of the OP:

It's common for anti-Sovereignty ilk to try make Ro 9 all about Israel's rejection of Christ. I merely pointed out to you the context is about individual vessels, 'not of the Jews only but also of the Gentiles', and NOTabout Israel, a vessel.

I 'foreknow' what's going to come up in my garden every year because I planted the seed.

7. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still regard John Piper as perhaps the greatest living preacher, and I'm not going to stop listening and stop respecting the same Calvinist preachers and theologians that I respected and listened to before.

The main point of contention between me and them would simply be whether or not God's decision in election is contingent upon foreseen faith, as Romans 8:29-30 and 1 Peter 1:1-2 would suggest, especially in light of Jeremiah 18:12.

Another main disagreement that Arminians and Molinists have with Calvinism is whether or not God's grace is irresistible. While Calvinists insist that God's enabling grace is given only to the elect, without the possibility of rejecting it, Molinists and Arminians believe that God's enabling grace to believe the Gospel is given to all people equally, with the possibility of rejecting it. (John 12:32, John 15:26, John 16:8-11)

Molinists and Arminians, contrary to whatever John MacArthur might tell you, cannot be described as Palagean, because they agree with Calvinists that God's enabling (prevenient) grace is necessary to repent and believe the Gospel.

George Whitefield and John Wesley were able to accomplish great things together, as fellow Methodists, precisely because they were able to agree to disagree on predestination.

Winning souls for Christ should matter more than doctrinal differences that have nothing to do with the essentials of salvation. While the Bible itself is infallible, our particular interpretations are not, which is why it's good to hear from a variety of perspectives.

"IN ESSENTIALS UNITY, IN NON-ESSENTIALS LIBERTY, IN ALL THINGS CHARITY."

I accomplished everything I intended to accomplish in removing the blinders of anti-Calvinists, and now I'm doing the same for the other side, to the glory of God alone. Are we not all brothers and sisters in Christ?

#27 Humble Disciple, Aug 1, 2021
  8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contingent upon...
    You just made faith a work that God merits to the one who believes. It's the same error Van falls into. None of the verses you reference imply such a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of calvinism IS false, especially the parts about everyone being born predestinated. And mhere's why:

Jesus said in Matt. 10:32,“Therefore WHOEVER confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven."

He said in John 12:46,"I have come as a light into the world, that WHOEVER believes in Me should not abide in darkness."

Luke wrote in Acts 2:21,"And it shall come to pass That WHOEVER calls on the name of the Lord Shall be saved.’

He also wrote, in Acts 10:43, "
    To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, WHOEVER believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

And Paul wrote, in Romans 10:13,"For WHOEVER calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Not one "whoever if already elect" !

And PLEASE, don't anyone say they were preaching or writing to those already elect! Those verses simply don't say that!

And don't forget Jesus words in John 3:16-"WHOEVER believes..."

#29 robycop3, Aug 1, 2021
  10. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arguments against Calvinism that aren't based on scripture alone don't work for me whatsoever.

Just saying that Calvinism calls into question God's character is not an argument, since none of us are born deserving of God's grace, and God can do whatever He pleases.

It was not until after reading Jeremiah 18 for myself, which is undoubtedly what Paul had in mind when he wrote Romans 9, that I was able to reject the doctrine of unconditional election.

The most natural reading of Romans 8:29-30 and 1 Peter 1:1-2, especially in light of Jeremiah 18:12, is that God's decision of election is based on His foreknowledge of who would accept God's free offer of grace and who wouldn't, and is thus conditional, not unconditional.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You do not understand biblical foreknowledge....it is whom He did foreknow...not what He did foreknow.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This posts refutes nothing. It shows your understanding to be false, but you keep posting it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy 2:20-21 provides another potter/clay analogy which directly cuts against the Calvinist interpretation of Romans 9:

2 Timothy 2:20-21
    In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.

As one can see, in order to be a vessel for special purposes, you must cleanse yourself by accepting God's free offer of grace. It's not, according to 2 Timothy 2:20-21, due to unconditional election.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another drive by anti cal post...no mention of his dishonest posting, yeah another day, the same M.O.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your man-centered theology is coming through now...must have been hard for you to try and lay low for a couple of days, but you did not really get by....we spotted it early on.lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    I posted this to the forum several weeks ago:
    If you are a Calvinist who believes in irresistible grace, then you must accept that God led me, through the reading of scripture, to ultimately reject the Calvinist understanding of unconditional election.

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly, like Romans 1, he has given you over to the schemes of men.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah being dishonest and deceitful are not really fruits of the Spirit.
    Austin, have you ever made pretend you were someone else theologically to communicate what you believe?

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand exactly what WHOEVER means; evidently, YOU don't, or wish to be deliberately obtuse while trying to support a false doctrine.

20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I share scripture and clearly state what I believe. I don't attempt a wishy washy view that I don't believe in order to deceive. From the moment I came here I shared scripture as I believe it teaches. I rarely appeal to the thoughts of others, and instead appeal to scripture.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.