1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John MacArthur, please remove the plank from your eye

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dad2

dad2 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Not sure you are in a position to judge. How would we know what he does with his money? Perhaps he uses a lot of that for God's work?

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a truly self righteous piece of work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I live in England, and I know of friends who have had free books sent by John MacArthur, including free shipping.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Key word = "seems" maybe he doesn't "seem" to be joyful based on your standards.

Please do

• Like Like x 1
  5. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, when I watch Paul Washer preaching, he very hardly smiles! The Prophet Jeremiah is known as the "Weeping Prophet". People deal with things very differently, because we are different. Some openly mourn the loss of a loved one, while others show no emotion. HD's complaints are moot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dad2

dad2 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Right, and since the bible says to keep our giving quiet I am not sure how we are supposed to know how some Christian spends their money. For example, I heard that one Christian musician uses the proceeds of his concerts to support many many thousands of foster children every year. If all we did was look at the concert intake money, we might get the wrong idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's take a look at one of Dr. John MacArthur's doctrines claimed to be based on scripture:
    Does the statement highlighted in "Red" say "apart from divine IRRESISTIBLE GRACE?" Nope. But is that the hidden message? You bet. Thus the carefully crafted statement can be taken as absolutely true, God's grace being His "General and Special Revelation."

Do any of the cited verses actually say anything about "Irresistible Grace?" Nope Recall the words of scripture, false teachers secretly introduce destructive heresies.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's take a look at another of Dr. John MacArthur's doctrines claimed to be based on scripture:
    Here we find the false doctrine individuals were chosen by God before the foundation of the world. This is based on Ephesians 1:4 which clearly says God chose us in Him before the foundation of the world. The issue of course is whether this election was corporate, in choosing Christ as His Redeemer, God corporately choose all those His Redeemer would redeem, or was an individual election as taught by Calvinism and John MacArthur.

Why the individual election view is precluded by scripture should need little explanation. 1 Peter 2:9-10 says (NASB95)
    Since everyone individually chosen by God (our election for salvation) was once "not a people" chosen by God, and once "had not received mercy" we were chosen individually after we lived as "children of wrath."

9. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin did not burn anyone at the stake. You have been reading rag mags. I remember once about 15 years ago a staunch Arminian claimed that Calvin killed Arminius. I got a chuckle out of that one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do not insert your off topic posts into this thread.

11. dad2

dad2 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I find that I tend to agree with preachers I listen to something like (if they are good) 80-93%. There is always what I consider to be some error. It might be Calvinist doctrine, it might be an obsession with thinking that God's called out ones are basically limited to the church system. etc etc. I like JMs prophesy, and a lot of his sermons. If I find say, .09% wrong in what he said do I need to consider him a false prophet in your mind?
    That brings to mind who you listen to. I bet if you named 2 preachers whose sermons you like, I could find something about them that was wrong. Just like if we name any denomination, we could find something wrong in there. Seems to me that Peter was less than perfect and even spoke as a voice for Satan one time. Does this mean we toss out the book of Peter?

12. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or we spend all of our time judging our famous brethren and each other where they do not meet up with our ideas of truth?
    That is what we all do here on this board isn't it?
    We are doing it to keep ourselves on the straight path, right?

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not violate forum decorum with ioff topic personal attacks on me. John Mac Arthur is a false teacher. And that is the topic of this thread.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is a false teacher, not a false prophet. Why did you mis-characterize my view? I demonstrated irrefutably that his views are unbiblical. And the "everybody is wrong some of the time, so it is ok to be wrong" argument is hardly striving to be Christ-like.

15. dad2

dad2 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Name 2 preachers you like then! We will see who is perfect. I already said there are NO preachers I totally agree with. But John has pretty high marks.

16. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My perspective on the churches….

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the circumcision, Peter.
    Smyrna - *Gentile Persecuted Church - Beginning with the Apostle to the uncircumcision, Paul.
    Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
    Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
    Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
    Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
    Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

*Noting also “Ye Shall Have Tribulation Ten Days” Rev 2:10 (from the Foxes Book of Martyrs)…
    Time Persecutor Description
    67 AD Nero The Smyrna Church Age begins with Nero setting fire to Rome, and then blaming the Christians
    81 AD Domitian Declaration that no Christian should be exempt from punishment, Paul’s Timothy died in 97 AD.
    108 AD Trajan and Adrian Severe persecution against Christians from 108 to 138 AD during the time of the Bishop Ignatius
    162 AD Marcos Aurelius Marcos Aurelius, commendable in study of philosophy, sharp and fierce towards Christians.
    192 AD Severus This persecution was carried out by the will and prejudice of the people and extended into Africa.
    235 AD Maximus Numberless Christians were slain without trial and burned indiscriminately in heaps
    249 AD Decius Began because of the amazing increase in Christianity, and with the heathen temples forsaken.
    257 AD Valerian The martyrs that fell during this persecution were innumerable, their tortures and deaths painful.
    274 AD Aurelian A brief persecution that ended with the emperor’s assassination.
    303 AD Diocletian The last persecution ended with Constantine’s triumph against Rome in 313 AD

So, these churches are unique. The church did not walk off Noah’s Ark Baptist. I have read in Wikipedia that, “Historians trace the earliest "Baptist" church to 1609 in Amsterdam, Dutch Republic with English Separatist John Smyth as its pastor.” In which I would call Sardisean times.

I have enjoyed the teachings of John MacArthur and was surprised to have learned of his materialistic ways, indicating to me that he has inherited some of the ways of this Laodicean church age. I do not think John MacArthur as un-Christian or a heretic - just surprised to have learned of him so materialistic.

17. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where in the bible does it say the seven churches in Revelation represent seven ages?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the "everybody is wrong some of the time, so it is ok to be wrong" argument is hardly striving to be Christ-like.

19. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please note the word mystery…

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 3:20

Candlesticks - Seven church congregations
    Stars - Individuals within the congregations, all held in the right hand of Christ
    Seals - The seven seals sealed each congregation within the lambs book of life

And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

If this interpretation is not correct why all the ado?

[​IMG]

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's take a look at another of Dr. John MacArthur's doctrines claimed to be based on scripture:
    Here we find the false doctrine individuals were chosen by God before the foundation of the world. This is based on Ephesians 1:4 which clearly says God chose us in Him before the foundation of the world. The issue of course is whether this election was corporate, in choosing Christ as His Redeemer, God corporately choose all those His Redeemer would redeem, or was an individual election as taught by Calvinism and John MacArthur.

Why the individual election view is precluded by scripture should need little explanation. 1 Peter 2:9-10 says (NASB95)
    1Peter 2:9 - 10
    Since everyone individually chosen by God (our election for salvation) was once "not a people" chosen by God, and once "had not received mercy" we were chosen individually after we lived as "children of wrath." Ephesians 2:3

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.