John MacArthur

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Jan 23, 2012.

1. thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not in full time ministry, just a laymen with a secular education. I have Leon Morris commentary on John from the NICNT, I also have J.M. Boyce 4 vol set on John. Of course Morris is more technical. Robert Thomas 2 vol on Revelation is good. While not a commentary per se on Romans, Barnhouse 4 vol set is great reading.

I have all of the NICNT except Matthew, also about 15 commentaries on Revelation, most are technical dispy works, plus I have everything free for e-sword which is a huge number of older commentaries. I have a few ICC in hard cover.

I have a few single vol works for the OT and would like more. Arnold Fractenbaum Genesis is a thought provoking work that I have read in the near past.

Right now I'm taking college Algebra at my local community college and I have a full time and part time job, plus I'm a volunteer firefighter, teach mens SS and member of the praise team and I'm remodeling our bedroom so my time in commentaries is limmited for the near future.

2. jaigner Active Member

Whoa....we actually agree on something. See, I'm not all bad.

Seriously, it's less his soteriology that bothers me (Calvinists will be Calvinists), but his self-appointed Holy Spirit understudy role.

3. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

For me it's not even that he's a calvinist, it's the fact he holds to Lordship Salvation which is just as wrong as the many doctrines he rips on air and in print.

4. nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

His extreme LS view borders on a works based gospel, which is not in my opinion scriptural.

5. DaChaser1 New Member

one way NOT to do this is what I did when first entered college!
    ordered the Greek expositors commentary set, and could barely use that, as was not yet intio reading biblical greek!

also, bought "A Greek Grammar of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature" by F.Blass and A.Debrunner, and definitely did NOT need that until much later on!

Learned by items that are appropiate for my needs at the time, what can actually use!

6. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do you mean...exactly? What specifically has he said that gives you that idea? Do you believe Jesus Christ is LORD?

7. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew Henry is better than most of these.
    you can access it online for free.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/

8. Amy.G New Member

I have it in Sword Searcher, along with Albert Barnes, Calvin, Gill, Jamison Fausset Brown, Lightfoot, John Wesley, some others I can't remember, and Spurgeon's devotionals.

9. Amy.G New Member

I know there are people on the bb that think MacArthur seems to preach a works gospel, but I haven't seen that in his writings. He is against easy believism.

10. OldRegular Well-Known Member

One thing is certain: If Jesus Christ is not LORD He is not Savior!

11. Amy.G New Member

Mine is 5.5. My son gave it to me 2 years ago. You can get 6.1 now. I really love it. I can look up verses really fast, copy and paste. It has the KJV plus the older versions like Geneva, Bishops, 1611, Tyndale, Wycliffe's bible. I wish I could get modern versions though, but it's ok. I use Bible Gateway for that.

Here is their website: http://www.swordsearcher.com/

12. preacher4truth Active Member

In comparison the library of e-sword is much more vast, and it's all free, and it grows each day.

13. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been pondering it for some time.

I have version 3.4 and really like it.

When I travel and don't get on line, it is a great resource.

I am assuming that Brandon Staggs is still the owner/developer of the software.

14. DaChaser1 New Member

he still is, and would say that IF you like the KJV, that you love that newest version of it!

15. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most everyone knows John Macarthur is an excellent bible teacher.
    He gets flak for being and holding to dispensational error.
    that affects his commentaries.
    On sanctification he is mainstream and biblical. Those who cry aloud against what they refer to as Lordship Salvation...clearly do not understand sanctification,holiness, and Jesus as Lord.
    Good works,and obeying God's Holy law is basic christianity,

16. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lofty view of what you know compared to others tonight I see? I would say anyone bartering for Salvation as an exchange doesn't understand justification or sanctification.

17. Amy.G New Member

Ah, but it's not error. ;)

18. gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I heard him preach in 1974 and he has grown a lot in that area. However I find him to be short when it comes to his scholarly approach in that too often he gives a general reference such as it is found in Talmud. Then when I do a search in the Talmud I am unable to find any of the wording. When I find that kind of reference it is to general to be any good and see where he is coming from other than to discount what he says as "stretching the story."

19. Alive in Christ New Member

I think John McArthur is a gifted teacher of the scriptures, and well worth listening to. Having said that, he is not perfect, just like all of us. He is wrong regarding Lordship salvation, in my opinion.

But in spite of that, he is one of my favorites on the radio, Along with Chuck Smith, Jack Hayford, J Vernon McGee, Derek Prince People to People ministries and a few others.

20. gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

1Cor 3:15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

What I have also found is that when talking to his former students they are unaware of other interpretations of scripture and find it difficult to deal with others who differ in their interpretation. Years ago one of his graduates would dialog with me about each of his sermons and how I would deal with some issues in scripture. I was able to point out how some others might deal with a particular passage. That aided him in dealing with those viewpoints. What I found rather interesting is that he has a doctorate and did not know what the Mishnah is. He told me that MacArthur's approach was to only teach what they believe and call that the truth. Fortunately I had professors who presented various viewpoints on scripture and so when I graduated and pastored I was able to recognize where people were coming from and to better understand books that I read.