1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justification by Christ's Imputed Righteousness

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Jun 22, 2022.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and just a mere two chapters back Paul has informed us that God will render to every man according to their works and that the doers of the law shall be justified.

2. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K.

No mention of hell in Ro 10. You're reading it into the context.

[add]

NOT ok. Our faith did not make us spiritually alive; we have faith only because we've been made alive. Dead men believe nothing.

3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You teach Roman Catholic doctrine of justification and when I pointed this out, you put me on ignore. Yet, everyone else can see your Roman Catholic theology on display.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those in Christ have His righteousness in keeping the law perfectly on their behalf imputed to them. The reprobates will be judged by their failure to keep God's law perfectly.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

The elect are perfect in Christ. The reprobates have no perfection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bald-faced lie and you know it. I quote scripture.

You have a juvenile imagination.

Back on ignore you go, slanderer.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is part of Biblical teaching.

Psalm 86:12-13 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart:
    And I will glorify thy name for evermore.
    For great is thy mercy toward me:
    And thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. (emphasis mine)

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No where in Romans 2 is that brought out. It's our actual works that we're judged according to.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked what are we "saved" from. I answered in the context of what we are saved from, which is what you asked, "from what?"

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the elect. The elect have already been judged in Christ.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. But that's not the context OR intent of Romans 2. The whole 'theme' of redemption is 'multifaceted'. This is not the facet of Romans 2.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    9 because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved: Ro 10

You said 'saved' means 'saved from spiritual death'. How can one who is dead believe something in order to become alive?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They can't.

Ephesians 1:1-10 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; ) and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: that in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (emphasis mine)

13. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 3:21-28

But now God has shown us a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. This sacrifice shows that God was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in times past, for he was looking ahead and including them in what he would do in this present time. God did this to demonstrate his righteousness, for he himself is fair and just, and he declares sinners to be right in his sight when they believe in Jesus. Can we boast, then, that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No, because our acquittal is not based on obeying the law. It is based on faith. So we are made right with God through faith and not by obeying the law.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 2 is part of Paul's proving: "for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin" (Romans 3:9)

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K. You're preaching to the choir.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K.

The “he is a Jew who is one inwardly” motif that Paul has constructed in chapter 2 leads into the question of Ro 3:1 and concludes in Ro 9:

If , because God is no respecter of persons, Jew and non-Jew alike are to be judged by their works with or without the law; – vv 5-13

And if non-Jews that don’t have the law can do by nature the things of the law because the law has been written in their hearts (synonymous with the circumcision of heart in v 29); vv 14-15

And if Jews that have the law and glory in it have through their transgression of it caused the name of God to be blasphemed among the non-Jews; vv 17-24

And if the Jews’ circumcision becomes uncircumcision if they transgress the law; v 25

And if non-Jews fulfill the law their uncircumcision becomes circumcision and they will judge the Jews; vv 26-27

And if Jews outwardly, circumcised in the flesh by the letter are not the real Jews; v 28

And if real Jews are those inwardly circumcised in heart in the spirit, not the letter; v 29

Then:

1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what is the profit of circumcision? Ro 3

Paul begins his answer here:

2 Much every way: first of all, that they were intrusted with the oracles of God. Ro 3

And comes back to it here:

3 For I could wish that I myself were anathema from Christ for my brethren`s sake, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
    4 who are Israelites; whose is the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
    5 whose are the fathers, and of whom is Christ as concerning the flesh, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. Ro 9

But:

6 But it is not as though the word of God hath come to nought. For they are not all Israel, that are of Israel:
    7 neither, because they are Abraham`s seed, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
    8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh that are children of God; but the children of the promise are reckoned for a seed. Ro 9

Reiterating the “he is a Jew who is one inwardly” motif of chapter 2.

#36 kyredneck, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I don't understand what point you are making.

Anyway, I will say this:

God's elect are the circumcision, whether they be Jews or Gentiles.

Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So as to eliminate any confusion, I asked that the title be changed to remove the word "only" and it has now been changed.

#38 KenH, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point of post #36 is that there's a whoooole lot more to Romans 2 than what you mentioned in post #34.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall claiming that I was making a thorough commentary about it. [​IMG]