1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kavanaugh's defends himself: letter to the Senate

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Calminian, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

source

September 24, 2018

The Honorable Charles Grassley Chairman
    Committee on the Judiciary United States Senate

135 Hart Senate Office Building Washington, D.C. 20510

The Honorable Dianne Feinstein Ranking Member
    Committee on the Judiciary United States Senate

331 Hart Senate Office Building Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Chairman Grassley and Ranking Member Feinstein:

When I testified in front of the Senate three weeks ago, I explained my belief that fair process is foundational to justice and to our democracy.

At that time, I sat before the Senate Judiciary Committee for more than 31 hours and answered questions under oath. I then answered more questions at a confidential session. The following week, I responded to more than 1,200 written questions, more than have been submitted to all previous Supreme Court nominees combined.

Only after that exhaustive process was complete did I learn, through the news media, about a 36- year-old allegation from high school that had been asserted months earlier and withheld from me throughout the hearing process. First it was an anonymous allegation that I categorically and unequivocally denied. Soon after the accuser was identified, I repeated my denial on the record and made clear that I wished to appear before the Committee. I then repeated my denial to Committee investigators—under criminal penalties for false statements. All of the witnesses identified by Dr. Ford as being present at the party she describes are on the record to the Committee saying they have no recollection of any such party happening. I asked to testify before the Committee again under oath as soon as possible, so that both Dr. Ford and I could both be heard. I thank Chairman Grassley for scheduling that hearing for Thursday.

Last night, another false and uncorroborated accusation from 35 years ago was published. Once again, those alleged to have been witnesses to the event deny it ever happened. There is now a frenzy to come up with something—anything—that will block this process and a vote on my confirmation from occurring.

These are smears, pure and simple. And they debase our public discourse. But they are also a threat to any man or woman who wishes to serve our country. Such grotesque and obvious character assassination—if allowed to succeed—will dissuade competent and good people of all political persuasions from service.

As I told the Committee during my hearing, a federal judge must be independent, not swayed by public or political pressure. That is the kind of judge I will always be. I will not be intimidated into withdrawing from this process. The coordinated effort to destroy my good name will not
    drive me out. The vile threats of violence against my family will not drive me out. The last- minute character assassination will not succeed.

I have devoted my career to serving the public and the cause of justice, and particularly to promoting the equality and dignity of women. Women from every phase of my life have come forward to attest to my character. I am grateful to them. I owe it to them, and to my family, to defend my integrity and my name. I look forward to answering questions from the Senate on Thursday.

Sincerely,

Brett M. Kavanaugh​

Way to go Judge! Liked him before, love him now.

• Like Like x 4
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw the Martha MacCallum interview with Judge Kavanaugh and wife on Fox News.

He was compelling but with too much restraint IMO.

After the Ramirez allegation of exposure (she wasn't quite sure it was him) I am pretty much at the place of innocence beyond a reasonable doubt.

But there is the possibility (and probably the probability) that more "allegations" will be coming forth from anonymous individuals with probable evidence.

We'll see.

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I thought he gave a good interview: perhaps TMI but that is the nature of the allegations and I think he had no choice but to give the detail he did

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    His restraint has been truly remarkable, supremely judicial. He should not have to express it more strongly. That should come from all who have any sense of decency, and then echoed by all of those with a voice in the senate on Thursday. It’s high time they really call out the hypocrites trying to derail his confirmation. We need some eloquently expressed moral outrage in his favor for the record.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why I have disassociated myself from the Republican Party (long time ago) , the RINOs, neo-Republicans #nevertrumpers have taken control of the RNC and will not come to the aid of Judge Kavanaugh with an "up or down" vote.

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An interesting letter:
    Women Who Know Kavanaugh From High School
    And another:
    84 Women From The Bush White House To Grassley, Feinstein

• Like Like x 1
  8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Let's hope and pray.

Republican confidence grows on Kavanaugh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saw this on Yahoo News.

The click bait on Yahoo is: "4 people to corroborate Kavanaugh accusations."

Once your click on it, the title of the article is: "Kavanaugh's accuser offers statements to back accusation."
    When you actually read the article the "4 people to corroborate Kavanaugh accusations" are actually Christine Blasey Ford's husband and three friends, none of whom have any knowledge of the alleged incident, and therefore can only confirm what Ford told them in later (probably much later). Sad.

But how many will only read the click and believe there are actually four people (at the time of the alleged incident) who can corroborate the accusations? Contemporary news reporting has no conscience.

Sad, sad.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there so far have been NO witnesses that would be worth their time in a real court of law, would be thrown out by any Judge/Jury... Doesn't suprise me though, how mnay credible women testified that Bill Clinton sexually mistreated them, and yet the Dems were deeaf dumb and blind to that?