1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ken Ham banned from convention

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Bob Alkire, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hey RB. Lets talk about Titus. :)

vs 10: 10For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

Has BioLogos been unruly? Do they seek to puff themselves up at the expense of others? Are they trying to draw men away from Christ, or merely find a way to reconcile science and scripture? (the fact that they may indeed draw men away from Christ, doesn't make this their intention)

Here's the kicker: Is BioLogos "of the circumcision??? It certainly seems as if Titus is battling the same old problem of Jews trying to mix OT law in with NT Christianity. But lets go on, cause I found some more interesting stuff.

vs 11: "for filthy lucre's sake." Oh my, these subvert whole houses for what? Money! Which organization in this discussion isn't making money off their products? Perhaps the pot shouldn't call the kettle black!

A little more:

vs 12 "the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies." Why that's hate speech at it finest. And Titus thinks this is bad. Umm, remind me again, which organization is using derrogatory language to further its monetary goal of selling more science cirric? (yeah, that was sarcasm)

vs 13 Titus gives the goal before he finishes the explanation: that the false teachers become solid in their faith.

vs 14: "Not giving credence to Jewish fables" <gasp> "commandments of men" that turn from the truth. Well, the truth that we aren't to turn from is Christ. That's clear enough. But what do you suppose Titus means by "Jewish fables"?

Now, again, I don't like the conclusions that BioLogos draws. I think they are twisting scripture somewhat in order to make scripture fit with the science (much the same way that Ham tries to twist the science to fit with his interpretation of scripture). That is bad, but considering it is Ham who fits most of Titus' description I think people are doing BioLogos a disservice to dismiss them as mere atheists who are subverting our children. If you don't like what they teach, don't go to their seminars (marketing speils) and don't buy their products.

The point is, pointing out that BioLogos is wrong, doesn't make Ken Ham right! He needs to step up and admit he could have handled his differences with the company in a better manner. (and the conference leaders need to allow Ham's products to be sold on the show floor)

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Most of your points are moot. The point of the texts that I pointed out is that, biblically, false teachers were rebuked and called out by name.

I wasn't making the point of saying, "BioLogos" is doing exactly the same thing as these instances in Scripture. What I am saying is that it is biblical to call out false teaching and false teachers.

We live in a different world where a teacher or ministry can affect many churches rather rapidly. I don't think Ham did anything unbiblical by exposing what BioLogos teaches.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

>"the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies."

When was this prophecy retracted? Every single person born and living on the island of Crete is a lazy liar? Or does the Bible lie?

Maybe the point for Baptists should be that the Bible contains hyperbole.

Definitions of hyperbole on the Web:

extravagant exaggeration
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Hyperbole (, from ancient Greek 'exaggeration') is a rhetorical device in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
    Extreme exaggeration or overstatement; especially as a literary or rhetorical device; Deliberate exaggeration; An instance or example of this technique; A hyperbola

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hyperbole
    A bold, deliberate overstatement, eg, "I'd give my right arm for a piece of pizza." Not intended to be taken literally, it is used as a means of emphasizing the truth of a statement. ...
    www.poeticbyway.com/gl-h.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.