1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Killing Jesus

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Oct 9, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Did I say He did not feel fear?

No.

What I said was that He didn't express it. Again, a man expressing fear would have begged for His life, not pleaded for the Father's will to be done, and that Man was only capable of so pleading because He was also God.

Period.

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Kind of backtracking there, friend. But I guess you had to.

I quote your post:

"Certainly He was fully human, but He was also fully God. Jesus couldnt have delivered us from the fear of death if he was himself afraid of it.

What Jesus felt was dread, Dread of separation from His Father. He'd never experienced that before. He was always one with him. When Jesus became sin, God could not behold His son anymore because He is too holy to look upon sin. And then on the cross Jesus cried out "Fathe, Father", why have thou forsaken me?"

We know from John`s gospel that Jesus sweat drops of blood in the Garden of Gethsemane before His death, and said: "Abba, Father, all things are possible to you. Please remove this cup from me. However, not what I desire, but what you desire." A man who felt fear would have begged the Father to spare Him. Jesus did not. He expressed dread of that task before Him, yet He stated clearly, "Your will, not Mine."

#22 Thomas Helwys, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
  3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

It amazes me at the opposition to this book here! This book supports the historicity of Jesus and refutes those who deny that historicity. So, although it is not written by a theologian, it does a great service to the Christian faith. Yet you people trash it because you feel it does not follow your theological views. Incredibly narrow-minded of you. The book will probably introduce more people to Jesus Christ than any of you ever will.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The book will introduce them to Jesus but not the Christ. Without the full Biblical perspective, we don't know Jesus Christ.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless the book introduces the lost to Christ the Messiah who paid the penatly for our sin on the cross then it is nothing more than a secular book with no value.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not fear as we know it though, as His great fear of taking the Cup was they he would be treated by the father for a time just as a sinner is, so would befacing seperaton/rejection while on the cross!

NOT fear of the death of the Cross, but of what would happen to him before he died while on that Cross!

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Some of you don't recognize an ally when you see one.

8. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

The enemy of my enemy is not always my friend.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Haven't read any of Bill O'Reilly's books and have no intention of doing so! When the book first appeared I opened it and my eyes fell on a sentence indicating the Jesus Christ was being deceptive or words to the effect. That was enough for me. Later I took a closer look at the book. The text seems to be essentially a series of statements, not polished writing at all. I was disappointed to see the pastor of First Baptist Dallas recommending the book on O'Reilly's show!

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it, it's a look at Christ's crucifixion and an examination of the political, legal, and historical events that led up to it, minus the doctrine and theology.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

11. OldRegular

I do not believe there was ever any separation between God the Father and God the Son. There is only ONE GOD and such could not happen.

12. OldRegular

Asked and answered!

13. OldRegular

I had an old preacher in my SS class years ago. He believed that Jesus Christ quoted the Psalm to identify with the One in that Messianic Psalm!

The Crucifixion was a victory over sin and death, but it was a victory only if followed by the Resurrection.

14. OldRegular

One might argue that in His humanity Jesus Christ could have exhibited fear. However, since He was without sin it is unlikely that He experienced fear. I believe what he exhibited in the Garden was the realization that He was to bear the sins of the world. As sinful people we could have no comprehension of that!

15. OldRegular

And what Jesus Christ does it introduce to people, one who practiced deception?

16. OldRegular

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!

17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Where are you getting that from?

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And not always your enemy, either.

19. OldRegular

The book! !!!!

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Then that's your interpretation, which I suggest is faulty.

But you have a right and an ability to be wrong, just as I do. :)