1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Kim Davis not exactly the poster girl for Godly marriage...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Scarlett O., Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And that's the crux of this.

And if what people say about her past is true, I would think she would be a bit more open to showing others the same type of grace God showed her when He forgave her.

Such a display could go a long way in leading some folks to or back to Christ.

#41 Zaac, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1856 you probably would have had the same message about being a good Christian and obeying the law of men.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

God spoke to slavery. He didn't speak to a clerk issuing marriage certificates. She should do her job or resign.

And considering again, if what folks say is true, that if God was graceful enough to allow her to find her way to Him, perhaps she should extend that same grace to others.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is following the law. Kentucky state law does not recognize the homosexual redefinition of marriage.

I agree. However, under our system of government, the authorities over us are only valid inasmuch as they adhere to the Constitution. If they're not, then they're acting illegally and we have no obligation to obey them.

Not according to the Constitution.

Last time I checked, this was still America. Americans do not have rulers, Comrade.

Or unless they're violating the law or telling us to violate the law.

She is.

It has? Could you please show us where the 10th Amendment was repealed?

That's a lie. SCOTUS cannot make laws, legislate from the bench, or impose laws on states.

May posterity forget that you were our countryman, comrade. Honestly, when I read the bovine skubulon in your post, all I can hear is Merle Haggard singing, "...and I wonder just how long the rest of us can count on being free..."

5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is doing her job. Her job is to act according to Kentucky state laws, which do not recognize the homosexual redefinition of marriage.

Not according to the Constitution.

The Constitution says that any power not granted to the federal government by the Constitution is reserved to the states.

The Constitution does not give the federal government the power to define or regulate marriage.

Therefore, it is reserved to the states.

She is doing her job: upholding Kentucky state laws.

#45 JohnDeereFan, Sep 3, 2015
  6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Federal law trumps state law. She should do her job or resign. She knew part of her job was to issue marriage licenses when she accepted the position. Now she needs to either do the job she was hired for or resign.

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typical leftist logic. Slavery and race are the only exceptions. All other causes such as abortion and sodomy are under the law of men.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Typical righty logic. If it doesn't look the way WE think it should look, then everybody else is wrong.

Probably why so many on the right display so little of the love of Christ.

9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what you are saying. No one has the right to challenge the law in a perfectly legal manner although Abraham Lincoln challenged Dred Scott instead of obeying as the majority thought at the time.

In the case of the lady in Kentucky, she is standing taller than Gov. Kasich of Ohio even though she lost her case and the Supreme Court ruling that s0d0my is natural remains.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What i was saying is what I said. I don't need your help.:thumbsup:

She is looking like the antithesis of what a Christian is supposed to be. If the government wants to issue marriage licenses to ss couples and has a legally binding reason for doing so, then let the government have what belongs to the government.

She needs to do her job or resign.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Her job is to administrate the laws of Kentucky and Rowan County, neither of which recognize homosexual "marriage".

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Her job subservients her to the laws of the country. If she can't abide, then she needs to resign.

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does not. She's a county clerk, not a federal clerk.

So, she should lose her job because you don't understand basic civics?

#53 JohnDeereFan, Sep 3, 2015
  14. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

There is an old saying, If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. She will know doubt pay the price for her convictions but this is only the beginning I believe of what is to come. When it comes your turn to stand for what is right, will you fold and make excuses or stand and be persecuted. It was against the law for John Bunyan to preach but he submitted himself to a higher law and preached anyway.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Zaac and others here, people had no right to defy Dred Scott, since they believe the SCOTUS made it the "law of the land".

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but SCOTUS has determined that since other states have enacted laws recognizing SSM that as part of the federal union Kentucky must recognize these people as being married when they are in Kentucky and thus under the supremacy clause of the US Constitution Kentucky must recognize SSM as the law of the land.

You must show that the state of Kentucky does not recognize SSM. It seems that they do recognize SSM.

Kentucky Gov.Beshear said Tuesday that the legislature can address the issue, if it chooses, when it convenes next year. "I see no need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money calling a special session of the General Assembly when 117 of 120 county clerks are doing their jobs."

Two other county clerks, like Davis, are also declining to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

So first show that Kentucky does not recognize SSM. Can you do that?

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about fortune tellers [witchcraft!] according to Kentucky Statute 231:

19. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Won't make much difference, but in reading what has been written, I think I was wrong previously concerning her need to do it or resign. I think she has to stand by her convictions and make them force her.

We would applaud a doctor who refuses to perform abortions regardless of the law. SSM is just as wrong as abortions. Her stand is courageous.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the same apply to firearm licenses / permits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.