1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured King James Version

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by nailah783, Oct 22, 2015.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still seem to be laboring under the misconception that I have assessed your mental capacity. I haven't. I have never mentioned, commented, nor assessed in any way your mental capacity. I have never even considered it. To be totally honest I really don't care about your mental capacity or lack thereof.

What I did was opine that your post was dumb. That does not mean you are dumb. You are not your post. Just as the map is the not the territory. I.E., the understanding that an abstraction derived from something, or a reaction to it, is not the thing itself. (My apologies to Alfred Korzybski for that over simplification of his thesis.)

2. Butterflygirl2

Butterflygirl2 New Member

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always read the KJV... I know there are others who read a different version... That what you love and that is what you read and study... Same with my KJV that is what I love and that is what I study and if I quote scripture on here that's where it will come from... Most of the old theologian I quote from also used the KJV... I know there are version that is said may explain things better and that be so but not for me. I have been reading my KJV for over 50 years and I learn something new everyday as you should also as you read yours... To me the earmark of any version is "Does it exalt Jesus Christ?"... Brother Glen

4. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

I'm KJV only and nothing will change that. Things that are different, are not the same.

5. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Good question!

It would be a tough thing to not feel as spiritual due to the particular version one uses. Ones spirituality (I'm thinking confidence before God) should only be tied to a converted sinners fellowship with God and only according to the Word.

6. Internet Theologian

lol...I just read through this thread and noted the attack on each other started immediately, and the OP was hardly addressed at all. This must be the common reaction here as I've experienced the same thing. Why people do this is beyond me. Make a post, get a reply, or replies, that imply you're an idiot.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, wasn't the question "What are your thoughts on this?" I think that's what everyone is addressing. :)

8. Internet Theologian

My bad I didn't know the mental capacity thing meant 'thoughts'...I missed that subliminal message! :)

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the KJV of 1611 is not the same as the KJV of 1762 which is not the same as the KJV of 1769 which is not the same as the KJV of 1873?

So which one of those is the real KJV?

10. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to say not the 1611. I got my hands on a 1611....I can barely read it. The Kings English is awful. You have to think about many words, since the spelling makes them virtually unreadable.

Wifedome.....downe from heuen to eate......Iesus said vnto them.....father giueth mee.....he that beleeuth on me...it was at Heirusalem.....

The 1611 is a nightmare. I love having it and occasionally reading it. But to have it has my primary text. No way....give me the NASB, NKJV or ESV anyday.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. I wonder does anyone consider why the KJV isn't the primary bible used in seminaries today. Whistling

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, let me count the ways...

13. Internet Theologian

Oh, now you're confusing things with facts! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if you were to learn a foreign language - say German, what version would you use to lead a German-only speaker to salvation?

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think you are well served by either the KJV or the NIV. Try the NASB95 and the WEB. The NASB gives you what the modern scholars believe is the Alexandrian text (CT) and the WEB gives you what modern scholars believe is the Byzantine Text-form. Then compare these to the HCSB, LEB and the NET.

16. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you suggesting that the truth could not change your opinions? Where do the Scriptures teach that the word of God is bound to the textual criticism decisions and translation decisions of one exclusive group of Church of England scholars/critics/priests in 1611?

The 1611 KJV is different from the pre-1611 English Bibles of which it was a revision.

Varying KJV editions in the 1600's are different and not identically the same as KJV editions in the 1700's.

Varying KJV editions in the 1700's are different and not identically the same as KJV edition in the 1800's.

The thirty or so varying KJV editions in print today are not identical to the 1769 Oxford edition of the KJV.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, all three show great affinity with the NIV.

18. nailah783

nailah783 Member

Personally I feel like whatever can help you become closer to God should be the one that you use. I had no idea when I started this that it was going to cause so much controversy. People really do have very strong beliefs in this subject that I thought was comical when the lady at my church made this statement to me that she would only read the KJV as though the NIV was a sin to read. Well I guess to each their own when it comes to this subject for me.