1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Kingdom Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah right. Wars, pestilences, corruption, fornication, this is the kingdom, sure.

2. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus made it quite clear to the Pharisee's that they didn't really know the Scriptures, for example in Matt 19.

What you seem to not realize is that after Solomon's Temple was destroyed and the Jews scattered, they set up local assemblies (synagogue) to take the place of Temple worship. The teachings of the religion became mainly the teachings of the Rabbis. When the Jews returned to the land for the 2nd Temple period they continued with this even with the Temple worship restored. This was the teachings of the Pharisee's Jesus was referring to.

The Pharisees were experts in the law as proscribed in the traditions and teachings of the rabbinic leaders, not a literal reading and application of the Scriptures. Jesus was constantly referring to the Scriptures when confronted by the leaders of the Jews. They (the Jews) wanted a messiah that would restore the kingdom on their terms, not God's.

Judaism then, as it is now, was primarily a religion of works and ritual and not of belief in the Word of God. True there were some who trusted in God by faith and took the words of the Bible seriously but that was the exception not the rule. Had they taken the words of the Bible literally, the Jews would have accepted Jesus as Messiah by searching the Scriptures to see if Jesus met the requirements of messiah instead of going to the Scriptures with a pre-determined idea of what the messiah should be in their minds.

Another thing you don't seem to comprehend is that if Jehovah were to break his promise to the Jews regarding the land and restoration of the theocratic kingdom because of their unbelief and corruption, then why would Jehovah keep his promises of eternity in the Fathers house to the Christians? Do you think that Christians are immune from the same corruption and disbelief as the Jews? I would submit that late 20th and early 21st century followers of Christ are little better and perhaps worse. Why? Because we have the truth in the form of the Bible and yet we don't believe and trust the actual words in the book.

3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is King. He doesn't break his promise to Israel. The Church is Israel. The earth is for the Church.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus rules in the midst of His enemies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Acts 15:17
    That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

That right there is the actual purpose. That the residue of men might seek after the Lord and those ruling with him, during the millennium. Also they will not have the devil present to deceive them.

Joel 2:32 says the same thing.

6. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will not understand any more than the Pharisees themselves unless you digest Jesus' gospel of the kingdom, and acknowledge it is spiritual and the Pharisee's Millennium is physical. Jesus presents a Kingdom of faith, the Pharisees present a kingdom of sight in total rejection of Christ.

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no other kingdom. This one is eternal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you drop Millennialism completely, you won't read it into his words. BTW, the Council of Ephesus banned it as heresy in 431.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is reading into His words. I provided you with words directly from Jesus to which you never responded. Your claim that the kingdom is only spiritual is faulty--it cannot even account for all that Jesus Himself said.

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, wrong. That's a misconception of some, but it did not happen. If you think it did, please provide quotes from the council itself, and I'd be happy to correct what I teach in Survey of Church History.

Here's a scholarly article: https://francisgumerlock.com/wp-con... and the Early Church Councils. Gumerlock.pdf

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait, wait. I was talking about history. You can't change history. So how do you know what the Council of Ephesus said? I gave you a scholarly source about that. It doesn't matter what I think, it matters what the history says. So what you said sounds to me like "My Daddy can beat up your Daddy." :p

If you are right, tells us how you know. I will then change my view if I judge your information to be correct. That's how the study of history works.

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a teacher and do not know what the Ecumenical Creeds say?

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All nations of the earth shall come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, correct?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How are we "sacrificing" the Kingdom ?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theocratic Kingdom by peters might help some here!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God still has a dealing yet to come with Jewish people !

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has yet to be established in fullness upon the earth as OT Prophets foresaw of Messianic Age!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scripturfes support it, so take that over ANY Creed!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture does not speak of a millennium? Interesting. What translation do you use?

BTW, I'm not Catholic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.