1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured KJV's Textual Error

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Jun 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it also here we go again with unrighteous accusations against believers who soundly disagree with human, non-scriptural KJV-only reasoning/teaching?

You have not proven that disagreeing with human, non-scriptural KJV-only reasoning/teaching is being "anti-KJV." I have read the KJV over 50 years, and I apply to scriptural truths as they are translated into English in the KJV.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Call it whatever you wish, even if incorrect, but the makers at first called it the AV.(A uthorized V ersion) Many KJVOs use "KJB" as if the KJV was the ONLY "official" English Bible version, which it certainly is NOT.

3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church of England makers of the KJV did not call it "the AV." It was not called the authorized version until much later. The word "authorized" is not on the title page of the 1611.

4. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could say the same to you. I have demonstrated why “I” believe that but just because you don’t doesn’t make it inaccurate or that it wasn’t demonstrated (which is what you initially said I didn’t do.)

5. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calling the Bible the Bible is incorrect. Got it.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is any valid translation!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? That’s not even what we’re talking about. We’re talking about if it the Bible can be called “Bible.”
    Let me ask you, regardless of translation do you call what you accept as a Bible, “Bible?” (Literally). Or do you just say this is my “Version.”

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its the Bible to me in English!

9. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before I post, I want to say this: If you admire & love the KJV, so be it....BUT if you don't think the KJV is a "Perfect English Translation," then you too need to "Go for your more modern translation(s)"! IMHO, ALL Translations in ANY Language is only an attempt by (Hopefully) Holy-Spirit-Led humans to put into whatever modern language(s) in which they are attempting to translate. As has already been pointed out, errors will invariably tend to creep in in even the finest modern language Bible. These errors may creep in due to various reasons: (1) The original meaning in Greek or Hebrew may mean something entirely different in a modern language. EXAMPLE: In James Chapter Two our English word for "fashionable" in the Fifteenth & Sixteenth Centuries most likely simply meant "Fashionable." Thus the original 15th & 16th Century used the word "Gay" where the originals used "Fashionable." OTOH, that English word "Gay' in our 21st Century means something considerably different. (2) In Acts 12:3 the KJV erroneously translated the Greek word pash as "Easter" rather than the Jewish Feast "Passover." There have been various reasons indicating why this mistranslation occurred, but the point remains that it appeared in most 15th & 16th Century English Bible translations. There may be other examples cited, but the point remains that these mistranslations ARE THERE in most 15th & 16th century English Bible translations.

10. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only "Authorizing" that the 1611 KJV ever really had was when King James VI of Scotland became King James I of England (1601), and he only "Authorized" it simply because he wanted an English language Bible that only had marginal notes explaining what the particular passage meant. King James hated the only readily available English language Bible at that time was the Puritan's Geneva Bible (c 1555) which had plenty of marginal notes about how badly the OT kings of Israel and Judah were. For himself, King James cared very little of the "purity" of translation (Most of the English-language NT translations of that time were ultimately derivived from the worldly s Dutch humanist Erasmus, who in many cases took a great deal of liberty as he hurriedly translated what Greek-language manuscripts that were available to him at that time.

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The title page of the 1611 translation contains the following information, which can be viewed HERE.

The Holy Bible, Conteyning the Old Testament and the New: Newly Translated out of the Originall tongues: & with the former Translations diligently compared and revised, by the Majesties special Comandement. Appointed to the read in Churches.

Imprinted at London by Robert Barker, Printer to the Kings most Excellent Majestie.

Anno Dom. 1611.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Appointed to be read in Churches".

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning

This thread will be closed no sooner than 130 pm (EDT) / 1030 am PDT

14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Appointed to be read in Churches", is weaker than "Authorized". Didn't it say "Authorized" in the Bishops Bible?

15. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know about that. Apparently not on the title page, which the British Museum shows a copy of the 1569 HERE. Perhaps elsewhere in the book, like the prologue?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “The Bishop’s Bible became the second authorized English version of the Bible, only to be succeeded by the King James Bible in 1611.”

The Great Bible in 1539 was the first AV to be used in worship at the time according to another source.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

This thread is closed

Feel free to start a new thread -
    and if you choose - to link this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.