1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Law Requiring Ultrasounds for Abortions Struck Down

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Marcia, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Who decides that? In Christians circles especially, there's no reason whatsoever to get bent out of shape over something rather benign. In ordinary conversation, there's nothing wrong with referring to a fetus as a fetus.

On that topic, I once had some friends over, and I gave them some lilly bulbs. The wife said "Oh, thank you for the lillies, I mean, bulbs", to which I replied "It's okay, I'm pro-life; they're lillies". We had a good laugh over it.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have never heard a pregnant woman exclaim "oooooh, the fetus just moved". :laugh:

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't get bent out shape over it; I was just pointing out that most people do not say "fetus" when talking about unborn babies, especially their own. If it is a medical term, why use it? It does sound more impersonal.

I was pro-choice for most of my life so I know how it goes - you depersonalize the unborn child as much as possible and using a term like "fetus" helps in that direction.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm glad you don't, but many well-meaning Christians do.
    Interesting. I'll share somethign with you. I've always been pro-life. Years ago, wife got pregnant, and got so sick that she had to have the pregnancy terminated. It was one of the most agonizing things I as a father had to deal with, and I still feel the loss to this day, even though it was an absolutely necessary. The notion that someone would judge me to be impersonalizing a fetus is absolutely reprehibsible and unrighteous.

5. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Had you actually read my post rather than skimming it and replying you would have seen that I called the idea that the baby (fetus) is just a bunch of cells and not a real person a pile of garbage rather than the baby itself.

6. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Fetus is a term that sounds far more alien than baby or child. While it technically may mean an unborn child, it has been abused by the pro-abortion crowd to dehumanize the child. While I wouldn't have it out with a Christian using this term, I would try to point out the abuse of the term in love and hopefully we would all use the terms baby or child rather than fetus.

Allow me to also make one point here. The bible always refers to children in the womb as people, real people. It is a child, a son, etc. I think we should too. Again, this isn't a reason to have it out with a person, but it would be prudent to use language that clearly states that the baby in the womb is a baby.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm very sorry about this loss, JohnV.

I was pro-choice before I was a believer and pretty much the first year or so that I was a believer. It took that year and reading a book, as well as conviction from the Holy Spirit, for me to see abortion was wrong (except to save the mother's life). That's how much my former beliefs still had influence on me.

I almost had an abortion on my son (many years before being a believer), but God intervened in a miraculous way (though at the time I didn't think it was God as God to me was just a cosmic energy).

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Nice try but your attempt is empty. Fetus is used to dehumanize the human child thus justifying the slaughter of millions of innocent children every year. Shame on you for supporting that. That is the real tragedy. There is no good reason for holding on to the use of the word fetus. None and there is no good reason to defend it. You have exposed yourself on this issue. Christians have no business practicing the use of this word. And it brings any claim of being pro-life into question. And while I am sorry for your loss it has nothing to do with this topic. Using it as a means to simply win and argument is sad and disgusting.

#28 Revmitchell, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word 'fetus' entered the English language between 1350 and 1400. Nice try Rev, but you show your ignorance of the English language. As you can see the word has been used for at least 600 years.

Now perhaps there is another word you do not know, zygote.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

As is your attempt to denegrate Christians by falsely calling them "liberal". How sad that your argument is so empty.
    That's a completely ignorante statment. Again, it's nothing more than your attempt to cast unrighteous judgment on other Christians, based solely on whether they use the word "fetus" when referencing an unborn baby.
    The definition of "fetus" is simply an unborn baby, and there's nothing inappropriate about a Christian using it in that context.
    How dare you. You unrighteous unrepentent pharisee. How sad that you so easily accuse Christians falsely of sin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.