1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Leaning Calvinist, Push me in, or Pull me back

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by prophecy70, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well just count how many Calvinist come in to convince this fella..........show's how much they actually believe in practice that "God does it all".

Cause what i heard supposedly, just read the gospel and one day SPONTANEOUSLY you will be elected and become a Calvinist.

I'm on the brink of becoming a Calvinist as anyone else or even the pope. No such thing as gradual. God has to hit his robot switch.

You Calvinist need to pray harder for God to hit my switch.

2. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do you mean convince? I don't need convincing of a "doctrine"... It was only a luring topic starter.

everyone matures in understanding of the Bible and what the texts say. Traditionally I was taught "Free will" so everything I read was on my basis of that. I am looking for exegesis of the passages used...

I will pray you actually explain something ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are your posts always incoherent?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture absolutely teaches that God chooses the elect before the foundation of the world.

John 6:37-39English Standard Version (ESV)

37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

John 6:44English Standard Version (ESV)

44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

John 6:65 English Standard Version (ESV)

65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

Romans 9:14-24English Standard Version (ESV)

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[a] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

Ephesians 1:3-11English Standard Version (ESV)

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us[a] for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known[b] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

Romans 8:28-30English Standard Version (ESV)

28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[a] for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Ephesians 2:8-10English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Acts 13:48English Standard Version (ESV)

48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Colossians 2:13English Standard Version (ESV)

13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

Titus 3:5English Standard Version (ESV)

5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

1 Peter 1:3English Standard Version (ESV)

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

2 Timothy 2:25English Standard Version (ESV)

25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,

Ezekiel 36:25-26English Standard Version (ESV)

25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. 26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

Deuteronomy 30:6English Standard Version (ESV)

6 And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Name calling and personal attack edited.] You can never come up with that nonsense with out the help of man. Somehow a man/men came up with a few doctrines and supposedly they are infallible to some? Comical! If you could never come up with it from just reading the Bible then it's not from God.

Keep an open mind and let me know ...

[Video of Banned former member deleted]

#25 ChrisTheSaved, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  6. utilyan

Site Supporter

I loved that sugar coated video. I am now elect.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't sound convinced... I'M SAVED... I"M SAVED... THANK THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY OF HEAVEN AND EARTH!... I"M SAVED!... Sorry brethren when I have good news like that, I get carried away... Brother Glen:Roflmao

Can I get an AMEN!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea the Pope and Catholic Church and the seven sacraments hit your switch....please.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!

Full Sovereign Grace... which does not leave any room at all for for human merit in salvation. A radically God centered theology provides the only solution for Christian life and work.

• Like Like x 4
  10. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your right. God does not have to look down the corridors of history, but sees history as a completed whole. But that does not make everything in history infallibly determined on our end. From God's perspective, everything is certain. From ours, we still make choices every day. This is even made clear by the simple fact that every time you or I sin as a believer, we could have chosen otherwise. This reveals that there are contingencies in time, BUT not in God's perfect foreknowledge. In other words, we are talking about a Divine, Eternal Perspctive versus a temporal human perspective, which are different, but non contradictory.

• Like Like x 1
  11. utilyan

Site Supporter

Cause I am a robot.

God hit the reprobate delete and downloaded the elect.

12. utilyan

Site Supporter

Well according to Calvinism. You need to hear the gospel.

That's the minimum requirement.

Once you have that, you have the possibility of obtaining the INITIAL REGENERATION.

So the means by which you hear the gospel is insignificant, radio, this church, that church, catholic or not, even a muslim browsing through gospels........ as long as they encounter the gospel. You then have room for that initial regeneration.

There is no such thing as "convincing" in Calvinism. The reprobate has absolute no capacity in understanding good, being good is totally alien concept. There cannot be oh what have i done nor remorse nor repentance.
    Even remorse the idea of being sorry about something would be new and alien having never experience something based on not being evil and selfish.

God has to do the repenting, he needs to click on your face and say ok this guy I elected time for him to start his regeneration.

Rock bottom drug addicts and drunks are more likely to buy into this after finally hitting bottom and self-hatred....... crying on their knees.....
    realizing oh they deserves hell because they hate what they are......
    and then hallelujah ...... overwhelmed with the sense of God's holiness......
    What a wretch and filthy rag I am......

Oh surprise God Loves. WOW.....WOW wow wow......God is not a jerk! NICE to me = nice guy.merciful. Evil to other = O'well tough cookie

And now since I am a rock bottom idiot I expect everyone to convert and find God in the same way. Because everyone else is 100% assured to be as evil as I was prior to my awakening rebirth.

Satan suckered folks with "mercy" at the expense of insulting God.

Oh its a miracle MOM did not slap me today. You think that is a compliment to God. The surface was based on a SELFISH salvation, me me me me, save me, my salvation, protect me me me.

True christian finds his relief on the salvation of his brothers and sisters who are his priority.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly, you have zero understanding of Christian doctrine... rather you parrot Catholic doctrinal talking points which are clearly biblical misinterpretations but that’s ok, I did it myself at one time. The point that these people are trying to make is that God is completely sovereign ... and you ain’t.... ya know, does the pot tell the potter! Now a Calvinist may have doctrine wrong at times but so may a Non Calvinist or a Catholic, but we all are challenged to do the best we can. This guy on the op should be asking himself two questions, first which church attendance, (if he/she attends at all) do you see the congregation touching the flesh of Christ, see John 20:27 because until we so called Christian people give evidence through loving one another, they are not going to believe in any doctrine, dogma or Big Sunday Church.

And the second, who does God save? Personally I choose to believe through my understanding of scripture that Gods in charge so He saves who he wants to and that’s his call. Me I’m just thrilled that I’m a part of that. Prior to that, as a Roman Catholic, that doctrine taught me that I had to go to the RC church every Sunday & Holy Day of obligation, pray my dead relatives outa purgatory and jump the 7 Sacraments (Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Euchreist, Pennance, Extremunction, Holy Orders... and I’m missing one, cause I could care less. It’s what Paul called the Law.

Listen, I work with Jews, I work with Franciscan brothers and sisters, the old, the young blah blah and they have all, somewhere somehow been converted to a God transcendent world... they are all radicals (ones that move beyond the doctrines and politics in order to go back to fundamental questioning... like what did Jesus present as essential and all embracing?)

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now cut that out and try being a higher level... what’s the term, scholarly! ;)

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    it is hard to consider his posts in a scholarly venue when they are, for the most part, incoherent.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know. Look he is a Roman Catholic. Quite naturally, his dialog is going to be... as you say, incoherent. But he is stepping up to defend his position.... I’m just waiting for the Lord to knock him off his high horse. I do recall that Paul had a similar experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. utilyan

Site Supporter

Love and Kindness is essential. If I didn't have any I would not respond. Please keep count how many times I call you names.

I will always bark and growl at a lack of mercy. Some pots tell the potters you should go back to playing guitar or painting and rethink your life.

Have you ever seen Bad Pottery? Some will call it art, its all in the eye of the beholder.

[​IMG]

"And the second, who does God save? Personally I choose to believe through my understanding of scripture that Gods in charge so He saves who he wants to and that’s his call."

That's pretty good. I agree.

So could you understand the issue when a Nazi interprets " He saves who he wants to and that’s his call." as that means White people and not Jews?

Maybe that guy is overstepping God's judgement. We both would agree he is wrong.

If you can understand that perspective above being wrong , I want to challenge your perspective on a more subtle level.

On the grounds that God would act evil towards any evil.

Wolves with Sheep's clothing of RIGHTEOUSNESS and JUSTICE in service of Vanity, SUFFERING and FEAR, Rather then in service of God.

A service to God, Suffering is not a currency to God. God doesn't feel BETTER after poking our eyeballs with needles.

18. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God was forced to save you? Wowzers!

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I once knew a foreign exchange student, who didn't know english well....when he tried to explain things, he knew what he was trying to say but it just came out unclear...... Thanks for the memories.

Again... why not exegesis some texts and prove all these "mean" Calvinists wrong?

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Pastor_Bob,
    We are not told to read hearts pb....however we are told indeed commanded to do this:
    10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
    PB...do you make your calling and ELECTION sure?
    Have you preached sermons instructing your congregation to do this...

It pressupposes biblical election.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.