1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Leaning Calvinist, Push me in, or Pull me back

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by prophecy70, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Piece of cake.

1 Timothy 4

10For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

The exegesis is.....it means exactly what it says.

2. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

But unconditional election presupposes that if a person is non elect, there is nothing they can do to change that, and if a person is elect there is nothing they can do to change that either. So if election is unconditional, God alone makes our calling and election sure. SO what is this verse talking about? Assurance of salvation?

3. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard this line from Adrian Rogers often. I admired him for his zeal for the Lord. The thing is, most don't want to continue this statement to its inevitable conclusion. If we conclude that God acts solely on what he sees in the future, then why allow them to born to hellfire?

In the book, The Sovereign Grace of God by James White, he provides an explanation of the New Testament usage of foreknowledge. It starts on page 41.

God Bless

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You over simplified the whole process.
    You are ignoring the means God has ordained in time.
    My use of this verse was to show election as a presupposed biblical reality.

5. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What about the defense of Conditional Election? "The drama is predestined but the actors are not"

6. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you're only quoting a small part of what I said and changing it to fit your argument. I never said I had perfect obedience just like the OT saints. I said, "The same level of perfect obedience that was met by the Children of Israel when they applied the blood of the lamb to their doorposts." God said "do this," they obeyed perfectly and were saved. Today, God says, "do this'" I obeyed perfectly and am saved. It really is that simple.

So, God only keeps His word to saved people? It is possible for Him to lie to lost people? Is that what you're saying? Because that it the application that I used to support my point - God cannot lie. He said "if thou shalt...." and I did what He said; so, unless it is possible for Him to lie, He had to keep His word and save me.

I don't dodge bullets, Tom. I did answer the question, apparently just not the way you anticipated.

Not all humans will be saved but all humans can be saved. If that is what you're calling limited atonement then, yes, I believe that.

I actually agree with this. It was most certainly offered to God for us. We are the beneficiaries of the atonement.

I agree. You're answering an argument I did not make.

You are correct.

We're not the doorposts, Tom. We are the occupants of the house. We are the father who applied the blood to the doorpost. The application of the blood to the doorpost of each house typifies our faith in the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. The doorpost was never in danger. The doorpost was never the recipient of God's judgement. God could have given them any instruction for the blood; He told them to put it on the doorpost. That in no way pictures us, Tom.

The problem is, "offered to" and "available to" are not the same thing.

Every once in while one of my students will make me a big plate of oatmeal raisin cookies (which I believe was the manna that fell in the wilderness). They bring the cookies to me. They made the cookies for me. They present the cookies to me. Most of the time, I take the cookies around at lunch time and make them available to whoever would like one. They were "offered to" me but I made them "available to" anyone who wanted one.
    I hold you in the highest regard, Tom; but, the "in depth understanding" card need not be played here. It is quite simple to understand. That is why God gave us so many practical pictures in the OT to illustrate this very issue. Even a child can understand.

Take out "the door posts" and I can agree wholeheartedly. Would you also agree that anyone in Egypt that night could have killed a lamb and applied the blood to their doorposts?

This is the point on which we'll always disagree. "Universal" simply means "available to all," not "applied by all."

7. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kudos for the use of "wowzers!" Haven't heard that one in a while.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved

If I "confess with my mouth the Lord Jesus," and "believe in my heart that God raised Him from the dead," God said He would save me. It doesn't say "might be saved;" it says "shalt be saved."

So, unless you believe that it is possible for God to lie, then, yes, God has an obligation to save anyone who, by faith, submits to His plan of salvation.

8. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is salvation by works. “Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.” (Romans 4:4) (KJV 1900)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you seem to be saying that you earned your salvation by obedience. Is that really what you want to say? That your good works of obedience earned your salvation?

I didn't say that. This type of thing is so unlike you, Bob. What has happened?

Again, this is so unlike you.

You know it's not.

So, you are saying that God was obliged to save you because of the good works you did?

Of course we are. That is where the blood is applied.

But the blood was not applied to the people. It was applied to the door posts. And we are not God the Father, who applied the blood. We are the door posts, who through no merit of our own, had the blood applied to us.

Of course it does. The blood was applied to the door posts, not to the people.

Yeah, they are.

That is a nice offer you made, to share your cookies with the kids.

That seems not to be the case, or we would not being having this discussion.

Yes, children can understand it. The blood was applied to the door posts not to the people. It seems to be adults who try to introduce their own good works of obedience into the discussion.

Take out where the blood is applied? Why would we want to change what the bible says? Unless the bible does not fit your doctrine?

Universal means "everybody without exception."

The Atonement of Christ is sufficient for all, efficient only for believers. Not everybody. Not Universal. Limited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. utilyan

Site Supporter

If someone submits to his plan they already saved. Sorta presenting a doctor for the righteous scenario.

When Paul gave a reason why he was saved:

Because he was Elect? NOPE.
    Because of works? Nope.
    Because of his faith? Nope.

1 Timothy 1

13even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor. Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief;

He was absolutely disqualified in every manner to be saved. Yet he was shown mercy for being a IGNORANT UNBELIEVER.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can any Christian defend Conditional Election. They would have to believe they met the condition of absolute holiness, or that God was unaware of who would be saved until he looked down the ages of time and learned who those people would be. And if God is not immutably Omniscient He is not God! (He can never have lacked knowledge, and His knowledge can never have changed.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. utilyan

Site Supporter

The greatest sin unbeliever/reprobate commits is say "Christ did not die for me".

Are they telling the truth or a lie?

13. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't bother to answer the sincere and not rhetorical question I asked you, but...

In Calvinism, (as I understand it, correct me where I am wrong),the means God has ordained in time only bring the Elect to salvation. And they are saved unconditionally, which means that the means infallibly succeed. They cannot fail

And in unconditional election, it is God who makes our election sure in the sense of being made true and immutable

So iF I was a Calvinist, I would interpret this to be referring to ASCERTAINING (making sure of) our calling and election, and that would be consistent with TULIP. If you disagree, let me know how you understand it. Telling a person they are wrong without explaining doesn't profit them or others who are reading

I am trying to better understand Calvinism. Help me out here...

#53 glad4mercy, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they would only have to believe that CHRIST met the condition of perfect holiness, and that righteousness is imputed to them through faith. (Romans 4). And that faith is the means of receiving the gift of salvation as defined by Calvin in a sermon on Ephesians 2:8-10

And God doesn't have to look down corridors of time, having perfect, IMMUTABLE omniscience. If He had to look down the corridors of time, He would be neither Omniscient nor Immutable. But verily He is BOTH

#54 glad4mercy, Apr 23, 2018
  15. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continued from above...So basically I agree with you on God's immutable foreknowledge, but the argument that conditional election somehow negates this does not follow, as far as I can see.

16. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not. It was faith that spared the first-born that night. Their faith was demonstrated by applying the blood to the doorpost. They weren't saved by works, but they would not have been saved without meeting God's condition. Phrase that anyway you want, but that is not salvation by works - it is salvation by faith.
    I'm just that kind of a guy....

I'm not going to argue with you anymore, Tom. You are masterful at twisting words. Like you said above, that is unlike me...I do not enjoy debating with those tactics. When we get to heaven, we'll have all of eternity to laugh about these petty semantics. Feel free to drop in any time.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what was that condition of perfection that merited heaven?

Yes, who OFFERED the cookies to the kids. :)

The cookies were not just sitting on your desk, available to the kids to steal one, but were sitting on your desk and offered to the kids to have one. An offer. Not just available, but an offer.

That is probably a good decision. You just keep getting deeper and deeper into the hole.

Shame on you. I haven't twisted anything.

That was why I was so surprised you resorted to such falsehood. That is very unlike you.

I don't think a right understanding of redemption is either petty or semantics. I think it is important for us to understand that salvation is of the Lord and is all about Him and not about us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree with Pastor Bob. If someone convinces you, and another comes along with better arguments you can be changed again.

Whereas, if you come to your own conclusions by a preponderance of the Biblical evidence, your tradition, your reason, and your experience then it will be "your own theology" when you decide.

Think about it.

sdg!

r

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Bob,

May I offer one caveat on what you said about the "5 tenets of Calvinism?"

I do not think anyone on the BB would baptize infants. I do not think anyone on the BB would want a state-church. I do not think anyone on the BB would want a Presbyterian-Elder Led style of church government.

So I propose, and have emphasized in my little circle of influence, that we call what we are discussing Particular Redemption or Soteriologic Doctrines of Grace. RC Sproul said that theology is done on a "razor's edge."

Just saying.

sdg!

rd

• Like Like x 1
  20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pastor_Bob,,

God obligates Himself to save everyone He purposes to save.

I would be interested in your response here PB.

#60 Iconoclast, Apr 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.