1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Leftists Declare “Siri” Racist

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the stupid is apparently at high tide this time of the month, a bunch of delicate leftists have decided that Apple’s digital assistant “Siri” is racist and reinforces “white privilege.”

They’ve got a petition demanding that the female-voiced phone app (that is apparently white) be replaced by a black-sounding or Hispanic-sounding assistant.

Of course, the idea that people off different ethnicities somehow have to sound distinctly different is inherently racist, but these folks don’t grasp that, The Inquisitr is reporting.

“Cultural diversity is important. Shame on you, Apple,” petition-signer Randy Groaling of Anaheim, California, wrote.

“Racism is a huge problem and Apple is only encouraging it,” states Aaron Lopez of Yuma, Arizona.

“Apple has always been racist. period,” claims Brendon Dolezer of Chino Hills, California.

What an insult to the true inequality blacks and hispanics face every day,” said Kelly Fong of East Orange, N.J.

Not everyone was buying it:

“Oh, please. This has obviously been started by some race hustler looking to troll,” wrote Brian Palma of Santa Ana, California. “There are more important things to worry about.”

“Wow. As a biracial women, I cannot say enough how pathetic this petition is. It divides people,” agreed Pam Danson of Chicago.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/leftists-declare-siri-racist

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure where anyone quoted in the OP was identified as a leftist. Could you point that out, please? I did see a biracial woman complain about the petition.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the two-week-old petition has 106 signatures. I wouldn't mind an assistant with an Okie accent, though, while we're talking about it. But I'm not an Apple guy; I have a Windows phone and disabled Cortana because it was so annoying.

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Need a hillbilly siri for me and my people.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do they not know you can change Siri's voice? Settings>General>Siri>Siri Voice and you can choose an American, Australian or British accent and make it male or female.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Cockney accent please.

And PLEASE no Glaswegian.

Now, I have had friend who speak Cockney and Glaswegian. But, but, but ....................

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm for a Liverpool accent. No one would be able to understand it.

Better yet, replace Siri with HAL-9000:
    I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
    It can only be attributable to human error.
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
    Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
    I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
    Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop Dave? Stop, Dave.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On an old computer I had set up an audio file using HAL-9000 that would play whenever the power was turned off:
    "I know that you and Frank are planning to disconnect me and I am afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen."

On my current computer I'm using an audio file featuring a line from the first Doctor, William Hartnell (from Doctor Who, first season original series), so I hear this whenever I turn off my computer for the night:
    "Now then, which switch was it. No, no, no, AH yes, that is it."

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the female British sound like Julie Andrews? or Mollie Sugden aka Mrs. Slocombe of Are You Being Served.

#9 Squire Robertsson, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How should I know? All I know is she's not from NY! :D

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Thank you Ann. I was gonna mention the same thing. You can just about already make Siri sound like she's from anywhere in the world or sound like a HE.

Does make me question the legitimacy of the story and whether or not Apple didn't respond with the same bit of information that you provided.

On a side note, Siri got an attitude with me one day and I thought there must be a glitch in the phone. She said something like "I SAID to go the opposite direction".:eek: I'm looking at that phone like :Cautious I know Siri didn't just try to get an attitude with me?:Roflmao

I switched to an Android phone later that week.

I can't have a phone that's channeling crazy.

#11 Zaac, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Waynes World Excellent.gif

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have Siri on a device, ask her if she is a racist. She gives a great answer.