1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Lesser of Two Evils" fallacy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Sep 2, 2019.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. :Coffee

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you call misdirection is nothing but lies. The intent is to deceive. Lies of omission are as much lies as any other lie.

#62 Reynolds, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the sun rise?

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there intent to deceive when one uses that popular term?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I strenuously disagree and strongly challenge you to prove your point instead of just stating it as Gospel truth.

1. Can you give Scripture for the view you have given in this post?
    2. Can you give a dictionary definition (or Hebrew or Greek lexicon) that agrees with your view?
    3. I have given a clear dictionary definition of lying that contradicts your definition. Why are you right and the dictionary wrong?
    4. Again and again I have challenged you on the Lord God's battle plan for the 2nd battle of Ai. You refuse to tell me why God is not a liar or complicit in lying, if your meaning is right. I dare you to deal with the passage. I've dealt with yours.

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God c
    God can command what he chooses. Deceit and lying are the same. You are playing word games and missing the the entire concept of honesty.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question - you tell me. If I didn't know the facts and I saw the sunrise as many on earth still do am I/they seeing reality or not?

Is it truth that what my eyes see - that the sun rises and sets upon the earth - is truth?

If it is not truth what name would you give it?

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody would vote if the lesser of 2 evils were not a valid consideration.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean "lesser of two evils" as a figure of speech or literally (that we need to literally support evil to prevent a greater evil)?

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every thing we say or do in this world has a measure of evil in it, so what other choice have we got? Anyway, it is subjective, if one looks at the big picture as a glass half full or half empty and are they putting forth some good or just avoiding the greater evil? It's all about judgment and everyone falls short except God in such matters.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We could "walk in the Light". When faced with the temptation to sin God always provides another way.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a nasty charge, that I am "missing the entire concept of honesty." You don't know me well enough to comment on my honesty. As for "playing word games," I'm a linguist. That's what I do for a living. It's not a game, it's reality.

Words have specific meanings. You can't mix up the meanings and be accurate. The evangelical term for the inspiration of Scripture is "verbal-plenary," meaning that every single word of Scripture is inspired. If you mix up the meanings (as you are doing), you can't be accurate in your exegesis of Scripture.

"Deceit" and "lying" are two different words. You can't conflate their meaning and be accurate. How are you supposed to carry on an intelligent conversation if you don't know the meanings of the words you are using?

And once again, you refuse to deal with the fact that if you are right (you are not), God is complicit in lying (though misdirection is clearly not lying).

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deceit and lying are the same morally. I never said they were the same word. They are the same thing morally. If you deceive with your actions, you are morally doing the same thing as if you deceive verbally. Yes, you are playing word games. You miss the concept of honesty by insisting that a man can only tell a lie verbally. The deceit is the issue. The mechanism of deceiving is irrelevant.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deceit and lying are the same morally. I never said they were the same word. They are the same thing morally. If you deceive with your actions, you are morally doing the same thing as if you deceive verbally. Yes, you are playing word games. You miss the concept of honesty by insisting that a man can only tell a lie verbally. The deceit is the issue. The mechanism of deceiving is irrelevant.

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

16. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you view Judges 7, considering Gideon followed God's command.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please prove this from Scripture. You can't. Furthermore, my point is that the viewer of an action deceives himself. Judging what is going on by simply looking at an action can lead to false witness.

Jesus even said this: "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24). He said this because the Pharisees looked at Him healing a person on the Sabbath, and concluded that He was lawless.

By insisting that an action can constitute a lie, you are headed down a slippery slope. Example: A person with a gun could see two people struggling, one in a police uniform and the other not, draw the wrong conclusion, and shoot and kill a plainclothes policeman struggling with an impostor.
    You are misquoting me and confusing yourself. I quoted a dictionary definition of lying which said that a lie involves actual words. If you can find a dictionary definition that includes an action as constituting a lie, by all means do so. But don't question my honesty simply because I quoted a dictionary.

So, if quoting a dictionary is "word games," well, guilty. :rolleyes:

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I view that deception is not always wrong, regardless of it being verbal or non verbal.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intent to deceive is what you are missing. Words, just as actions, can be interpreted different ways. My position is that deception is the issue. Intent of the deception either justifies or fails to justify it.
    If someone asks you where the fleeing bank robber went and you say in the closet, or if you simply point at the closet; both were equal deception considering the bank robber was hiding in the bathroom. The spoken word was not the wrong. The deception with evil intent was the wrong. The spoken word, just as the pointing, were simply mechanisms of deceit.

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, let me be clear in what I am saying. I am not saying your deception we have discussed is sin. I am actually saying it's not. Deception for the right reason, whether verbal or non verbal, seems to be condoned by scripture. The moral object was saving the lives of the just men. The exact combination of words she chose to do that was irrelevant.

21. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This does not answer my points. I assume you know Scripture. Please use it, or at least note and answer the Scriptures I have used.

Concerning intent, only God and the individual acting knows intent. Therefore, we can never judge someone else's intent.