1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Lesser of Two Evils" fallacy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Sep 2, 2019.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This does clarify some, but you are still not answering my points, especially those from Scripture.

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Only God knows and can judge when a deception is a sin, be it a verbal or a nonverbal deception.

The scripture is covered in the Rahab account. Rahab is listed in the hall of faith for saving the spies. The corresponding action to that faith was deception. Verbal deception and non verbal deception were both used by her to save them.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what I said.

No, Rahab is in Heb. 11 for faith. It was her faith that saved the spies, not her lies.

Deal with the Scriptures:

Prov. 6--"16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

Oh, by the way, both references to lying in this passage are verbal. Just sayin'.

#83 John of Japan, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does God hate a lying tongue? It's a manifestation of a heart condition. Those lies were for self advancement or self service.
    God hates the actions and deceptive words of Corrie Ten Boom?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't ask me, God inspired the Scripture.

I've never read Ten Boom's book, so I can't answer, really. I do remember hearing one story when the Nazis came and there were Jews in the basement. The Ten Booms sat around their kitchen table, with the way to the basement right below the table, and the Nazis never tumbled to it. As I recall, they didn't have to lie on that occasion.

You see, God doesn't need lies to protect His servants. I once traveled to a Muslim country to minister. To get my visa I had to present documents, and I gave them a document that stated clearly that my finances were missionary support. They gave me the visa. I didn't lie or falsify anything. Then in the big airport down in Tokyo, I lost my passport. I prayed, and then a policeman walked up and said, "Is this yours?" God is perfectly able to take care of his servants in every way, and miracles have never ceased.

Brother Andrew's book, God's Smuggler, is very instructive. Quite often God simply closed the minds of the border officials so that they didn't even see the Bibles. You don't have to lie to accomplish God's purposes.

Rom. 3:8--"And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just."

#85 John of Japan, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019