1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lessons from the Golden Calf Incident versus the Baal-Peor Incident

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Scripture More Accurately, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By divine design, Exodus 32 and Numbers 25 provide to us the two earliest recorded accounts of ungodly corporate worship by God's people.

Thoroughly comparing and contrasting all that Scripture reveals about the Golden Calf Incident (GCI; Ex. 32) versus the Baal-Peor Incident (BPI; Num. 25) is vital for our learning all the lessons that God intends for us to learn from them.

What lessons does God want us to learn from these two incidents?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, let us consider the phrase "God's people." Here we see that many of the people traveling with or as the descendants of Abraham, Jacob, and Isaac are in view. Not anyone who had "gained approval" through faith. Only those with a faith like Abraham were actually God's people.

The next lesson seems to be continuing opportunity to obtain God's mercy.

Thirdly, we must do our best to destroy the mechanisms that lead us astray from worshiping God alone into the mire of idols and lusts.

3. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible strongly emphasizes that God treated and regarded all the people who came out of Egypt in the same sense in at least the following respects.

1 Cor. 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.

8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am assuming that this post is for the purpose of saying all the blood line descendants of Abraham were "God's people?"

If so, this in contradicted by Paul:
    Galatians 3:7
    Therefore, recognize that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham.​

Basically, our fathers, blood line ancestry, were not all pleasing to God, verse 5, and therefore were not "God's people"

#4 Van, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  5. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my post was not for that purpose. I was pointing out how the Spirit has related how He wants us to regard all the people that came out of Egypt, etc.

I am not saying that they were all God's people in the fullest sense, but they were all His people in the ways that the Spirit talks about in 1 Cor. 10:1-4.

Furthermore, and in support of that understanding of 1 Cor. 10:1-4, the Bible is very plain and repeatedly explicit that God regarded all the children of Israel who were in bondage in Egypt and whom He brought out from Egypt as His people. At least 16 verses explicitly show that was the case:

1. Exod. 3:7 And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;
    2. Exod. 3:10 Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.
    3. Exod. 5:1 And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness.
    4. Exod. 7:4 But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.
    5. Exod. 7:16 And thou shalt say unto him, The LORD God of the Hebrews hath sent me unto thee, saying, Let my people go, that they may serve me in the wilderness: and, behold, hitherto thou wouldest not hear.
    6. Exod. 8:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, Go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me.
    7. Exod. 8:20 And the LORD said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh; lo, he cometh forth to the water; and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me.
    8. Exod. 8:21 Else, if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thy houses: and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of swarms of flies, and also the ground whereon they are.
    9. Exod. 8:22 And I will sever in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there; to the end thou mayest know that I am the LORD in the midst of the earth.
    10. Exod. 8:23 And I will put a division between my people and thy people: to morrow shall this sign be.
    11. Exod. 9:1 Then the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh, and tell him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me.
    12. Exod. 9:13 And the LORD said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me.
    13. Exod. 9:17 As yet exaltest thou thyself against my people, that thou wilt not let them go?
    14. Exod. 10:3 And Moses and Aaron came in unto Pharaoh, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, How long wilt thou refuse to humble thyself before me? let my people go, that they may serve me.
    15. Exod. 10:4 Else, if thou refuse to let my people go, behold, to morrow will I bring the locusts into thy coast:
    16. Acts 7:34 I have seen, I have seen the affliction of my people which is in Egypt, and I have heard their groaning, and am come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send thee into Egypt.

#5 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying the fathers were all God's people. Obviously, we disagree.

7. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have shown from 16 explicit biblical statements that God Himself regarded all the fathers as His people. If you reject those inspired statements, your disagreement is not with me, but with God.

There is no basis to say that "my people" in all those statements only referred to the true believers in Yahweh who were among the children of Israel who were in Egypt and whom He brought out from Egypt.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, we disagree. No need to shout I am right and you are wrong.

None, repeat none, of your 16 verses supports your mistaken claim.

See Galatians 3:7. my people were the believers within the people brought out of Egypt.

Rom 9:25
    as He also says in Hosea:
    “I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, ‘MY PEOPLE,'
    AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, ‘BELOVED.'”

2Co 6:16
    Or what agreement does [fn]the temple of God have with idols? For we are [fn]the temple of the living God; just as God said,
    “I WILL DWELL AMONG THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM;
    AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

Heb 8:10
    “FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT WHICH I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL
    AFTER THOSE DAYS, DECLARES THE LORD:
    [fn]I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS,
    AND WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS.
    AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,
    AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

And here again is the basic statement of truth from scripture:

First, let us consider the phrase "God's people." Here we see that many of the people traveling with or as the descendants of Abraham, Jacob, and Isaac are in view. Not anyone who had "gained approval" through faith. Only those with a faith like Abraham were actually God's people.

Ever wonder why blood line is not enough? Recall Christ's words, "You must be born anew?"

In summary, God's people are believers, not blood line descendants of Abraham.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were until they weren’t.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting view. I am guessing your idea is you are by blood God's people until you reach the age of accountability, then if you have not the faith of Abraham, you are excommunicated?

However, since we must be born anew, I do not think we are God's people until individually chosen based on God crediting our faith as righteousness. Once chosen, then we are God's [chosen] people. See 1 Peter 2:9-10

12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    A close examination of Exodus 32:7-14 in the GCI account in Exodus 32 proves that God regarded the people who engaged in the GCI as His people.

First, and interestingly, God speaks of the people who participated in the GCI as Moses' people whom he (Moses) brought out of Egypt:

Exod. 32:7 And the Lord said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves:

8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

9 And the Lord said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:

10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.
    God said that He was going to consume the people that Moses brought out of Egypt and make of Moses a great nation.

Moses then responded to God by saying to God that the people against whom God's wrath had waxed hot because of the GCI were God's people that He [God] had brought of Egypt:

11 And Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?

12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.

13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.​

Under inspiration of the Spirit, Moses then as the writer of the book of Exodus said that God repented of the evil that He had thought to do to His people because they had participated in the GCI:

14 And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.​

Exodus 32:14 is inspired divine revelation that speaks of the people whom God was ready to destroy but then relented as being His (God's) people.

It proves that the ones who engaged in the GCI were regarded by God as His people, just as Moses had spoken of them as being God's people in Exodus 32:11 and 32:12.

#12 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even after all the wickedness Israel had done in the wilderness after leaving Egypt (unbelief, disobedience, murmuring, idolatry, fornication, rebellion, etc.), and even with Balaam wanting so badly to curse Israel, God made Balaam to declare:

He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob; Neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel: Jehovah his God is with him, And the shout of a king is among them. Nu 23:21
    (Blessed is the man to whom, the Lord will not reckon sin. Ro 4:8)

AND, throughout all their wandering/chastening in the Wilderness He still yet gave them shade by day and light by night, He fed them manna, gave them water, their clothes never wore out, their feet didn't blister, etc., He was with them always even though He granted them no repentance to enter into His Rest. They wandered in the Wilderness for the rest of their lives when they could have spent it in the Land of Milk & Honey had they only believed and obeyed the gospel that it was their's for the taking.

3 For what if some were without faith? shall their want of faith make of none effect the faithfulness of God? Ro 3