1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lester Roloff error

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robycop3, Jul 21, 2021.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lester Roloff(1914-1982) was a well-known preacher throughout the land. laying aside the probs with his Rebekah girls' home, let's look at a doctrinal error I heard on one of his sermons recently.

He said God gave His law in 3 categories: morality & general behavior, ritual & sacrificial, and dietary. Roloff said, correctly, that Jesus' sacrifice of Himself fulfilled & abrogated the ritualistic/sacrificial portions of the law, but the moral AND DIETARY portions still stood, blaming the worldwide illnesses on not following God's dietary law. (Shades of Ellen White, anyone?)

However, at no time did Jesus or the apostles tell anyone to switch to the diet observed by the Jews. In fact, Paul wrote that all foods were clean. The main issue was over meat that had been offered to idols, but paul wrote that was a matter of conscience, & either choice was right.

While I don't think too highly of Roloff anyway due to the school scandals & his KJVO stance, he did have a few good points & I'll continue to listen to the "Family Altar" radio show.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never had heard of him, what church was he based with?

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Independent Baptist, longtime pastor of People’s Baptist Church in Corpus Christi, Texas. He was educated at Baylor and Southwestern. Left the SBC in the 1950s.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="rlvaughn, post: 2718351, member: o like another WA Criswell type?

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was a Baptist evangelist, was killed in a plane crash in 1982, & founded a radio show that's still going that plays his recorded sermons, Family Altar Radio, thru Roloff Evangelistic Enterprises. He founded several schools for wayward youths, including Rebekah Home for Girls in Corpus Christi,Texas, which was the site of much inappropriate behavior, including fornication between students & staff, & enslavement & beatings of several students.(Just Google its name!)

While Roloff himself wasn't implicated in the crimes, he did nothing to curb it eventually the place was closed in 2001, 19 myears after Roloff's death.

Roloff also recorded several albums of hymns.

7. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree with the idea that the dietary laws still hold. Peter's vision is clear.

However, I do agree that 99% of the illnesses we have today is because we are eating food that is not produced, and grown in God's way. So I'd say Bro. Lester ain't far off the trail.

We produce our food man's way instead of God's and then are surprised when the environment is wrecked, dead zones in the oceans show up, and our soil gets depleted.

We put hogs that God made to root and clear land into concrete slabs and feed them food whose genes have been modified unnaturally. We fed cows (herbivores) meat in the form of other ground up cows and then have the gall to act surprised when Mad Cow disease breaks out. When man violates God's Natural Laws, you get health issues. That's what drove me to farm in a God honoring way. You figure if God made a chicken to scratch and a hog to root, there's probably a reason for that.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Based on memories of listening to Brother Roloff on the radio probably 40 years ago, I think I recall he had some good ideas on diet and health. However, to consider New Testament Christians under dietary law misses the mark.

• Like Like x 2
  9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The nain cause of problems from pork is trichinosis, a parasite infection caught from undercooked pork. Remember, God told Noah that He had given him all animals for meat, long before he gave dietary laws to the Israelis. I believe these laws were given more as a test of obedience than for reasons of health. Besides, the Israelis are mostly manna til they came into Canaan.

And once again, there are NO examples of any gentiles being told to adapt the Jewish diet in the New Testament. I believe God ended the dietary laws with the New Covenant.

As for Roloff-While he seemed to have been a genuine man of God's, I don't understand why he didn't ACT AT ONCE when the probs at Rebekah Girls' Home surfaced.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like he held to seventh day in this area!

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Likely. While he was supposedly a Baptist, he had his faults, same as we all do. But, despite his false diet doctrine & false KJVO myth, as well as his failed oversight of his girls' home, he led many to Jesus.

12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for the record, Roloff was a friend of the family, so take the following with that understanding.

We all have certain quirkiness and even eccentricities, and my friend was certainly one who was openly maligned, publicly persecuted and imprisoned and yet remained untarnished by the world scrutinizing. Not a single account of factual misconduct of the man was ever found. Few believers have or could undergo such scrutiny and remained remarkably innocent.

Just as John Rice, Roloff had vast contributions, and many ministries in which he had to delegate responsibilities.

Not everyone agrees with everything giants of the faith may write or speak, however their character is without blame even by the world, yet the world would still ridicule.

Do not we all pick upon even the teaching of The Christ, Mosses, David, and the profits and Apostles?

Paul admonished folks to sift everything taught through the scriptures and hold fast to what was right, trashing the rest.

Those who have never spent time with a glass of carrot juice might find it delightfully delicious healthy alternative.