1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's suppose Calvinism is true...then why don't all Christians believe it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

OR, what should I be worried about?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like OR is questioning the salvation of all non cal's to me.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I have also seen the measuring line in the hands of others—Doctrinalists. Yes. And their line has five marks which were originally made by John Calvin. And if your opinions do not square exactly to the standard, you are cut off from all part and lot in the blessings of vital godliness. Zion is certainly built according to the arrangement of the five points and therefore if any Brother or Sister does not comprehend and receive them all, he is not a weak Believer, but according to the measuring line of our rigid friends, he is not a Believer at all!" —Charles Spurgeon, The Man With the Measuring Line

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ouch. Put that in your tulip and smoke it. :laugh:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here CHS sounds like AW Tozer. And I don't mean that in a complimentary way.

The five propositions addressing the five made by the Remonstrants were not "originally made" by John Calvin.

OldRegular is not saying that all non-cals are destined for the flames of the Lake of Fire. I do agree that those who reject those five so-called Calvinistic (i.e. biblical) propositions are in that sense weak believers. They may be strong in other areas.

6. olegig

olegig New Member

Perhaps OldRegular would like to clarify his own statement.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It shall remain one of those mysteries that dispensationalism is so fond of!

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Dispensationalism has nothing to do with your post telling me that I have something worry about because God didn't reveal the truth of Calvinism/Doctrines of grace to me.

I would like for you to clarify your statement since it was written to me.

Here it is again.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He won't come out and say it, even though he might believe it. He would quickly be a member of the banned.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And I can think of no greater insult than to question my salvation. :tear:

11. olegig

olegig New Member

OldRegular, if you find the time, perhaps you could blow the dust off your Bible where you will see the mysteries are a thing of God, revealed to man at the appointed time, by the Lord Jesus Christ through the apostle Paul.

Since you have made question of others salvation on the basis of their beliefs, and since you have now equated your silence to one of God's mysteries; one wonders if perhaps you are equating yourself with God Himself.

Below is a link for you to an online Bible just in case you don't have one at home. When it comes up just click on the "Keyword search" option and enter "mystery".
    It should prove quiet informative for you.

http://www.biblegateway.com/

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Bump.

OR, what should I be worried about?

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"I have also seen the measuring line in the hands of others—Doctrinalists. Yes. And their line has five marks which were originally made by John Calvin. And if your opinions do not square exactly to the standard, you are cut off from all part and lot in the blessings of vital godliness. Zion is certainly built according to the arrangement of the five points and therefore if any Brother or Sister does not comprehend and receive them all, he is not a weak Believer, but according to the measuring line of our rigid friends, he is not a Believer at all!" —Charles Spurgeon, The Man With the Measuring Line

I guess James doesn't have the guts to speak for himself so he always lets S. speak for him. Am I reading this right? Is this saying that if I do not hold to the five points that I am lost? Is this not bringing into question the salvation of many who do not agree with TULIP? I can find no quote in the Bible that says such a thing. And, the last time I checked Mr. Spurgeon was not God nor are his words to be God's words. I don't know about the rest of you, but I believed on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, not Calvin or Spurgeon.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exceeded Post Limit

If anyone has a particular thought yet unconsidered, start a new thread on just that subject. BTW, CHS is the strongest Baptist supporter of sovereign grace, hence the reason he is oft quoted here.

I think they are just woefully confused.

Otherwise, we are outta here.

#214 Dr. Bob, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.