1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberals pressure Fox News advertisers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Does that work both ways, 2 Timothy2:1-4?

Did you see what Bill O'Reilly did to JetBlue?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Bill O'Reilly *shudder*

must have been a REALLY awful night for TV choices BiR

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

Two organizations that Republican Christians went after were WalMart and Disney.

4. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I don't see this as an issue of toleration of others views. It's an issue of something being portrayed as "news" when it is nothing but slanted propaganda. Evangelicals and conservatives have been howling for years about the "liberal media" and you've got several organizations organizing boycotts of major networks all the time, though they don't appear to be very effective. Fox News Network does occasionally lead the cable news ratings, but in terms of viewing audience compared to those "liberal" major networks, is just a fraction of their audience. For conservatives to complain about a liberal boycott or pressure on advertisers is hypocrisy.

There's been a shift in the political perspective in the past few years, and conservatives seem to be having a real hard time dealing with the fact that they are losing control. That was inevitable, though supporting and electing an incompetent president helped hasten the day. There's nothing wrong with what the liberals are doing, since the conservatives endorsed the practice with their own methodology. Fox will have to take their chances, just like everyone else. The world isn't coming to an end as a result, and the "sky is falling" rhetoric that religious conservatives seem so fond of using to their own benefit is a dog that ain't huntin' no more. The pendulum has swung back the other way, and you are just going to have to live with it for a while.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The intent of the evangelical boycotts and the intent of the libs with regards to Fox are not the same.

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Two thoughts came to mind when I read this. Conservative Christian groups probably invented, or if not at least perfected, the act of groups boycotting advertisers in oder to make their voices heard. Second thought, Bill O'Reilly regularly calls for boycotts in order to push whatever pet cause he deems worthy. It is hypocritical for Christians or FOX news to complain about this.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure they are. If you don't understand this then you are not admitting reality.

8. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's admit reality, then - a boycott is an effective and legal means of protest.

Been REALLY gunning for Ford Motor Company, but the product...

Yeah, it's only THE top-rated news show. If you really want to boycott something and fail, try his competitor wannabee Keith Olbermann.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So credibility and truthfulness are determined by ratings? :laugh::laugh:

#49 Magnetic Poles, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

O'Reilly may well be the top rated show. He makes my skin crawl. If he's all that's on, then that's the best reason I can have for getting rid of all the TVs.

Personally, I watch a lot of the Fox shows. O'Reilly however isn't one of them. Now Shepherd Smith, I like him.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Used to watch a lot of Fox News, sis, till I discovered Lou Dobbs.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OK, bro, I'll bite, what makes Lou better than Neil?

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

and who in the world is Keith Olbermann?

If his show is fashioned after the O'Reilly kind of shows, I'm not going to watch. I don't like those kind of shows. They are commentary, not news. I don't mind commentary in the news, but I don't want a little news in the commentary. I don't want to watch two people yell at each other. OR even worse have a guest on and yell at them!

Give me some facts and let me make some decisions about it.

14. Magnetic Poles

Nothing at all like Bill "Loofah" O'Reilly. He is a commentator on MSNBC. You can see some of his commentary on MSNBC.com or YouTube. He is highly critical of the Bush administration.

I like him a lot.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Olberman's show is not fashioned after O'Reilly's. O'Reilly's is openly a commentary show. Olberman tries to masquerade as a News show while throwing in partisan political one-liners and an occasional far left commentary.

If O'Reilly makes your "skin crawl", have a barf bag handy when you watch Olberman.

I've seen them both in the past, but couldn't stomach either one. O'Reilly is mostly about O'Reilly . Olberman is mostly about lunacy.

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OK, well I just got my own personal Hannity and Colmes opinion there, didn't I :laugh: ( I don't like them either, but you two are as far apart as they are!)

MP to the Left of me, carpro to the Right of me. Here I am stuck in the middle . . . :)

17. Magnetic Poles

Ah, another Steely Dan fan! :thumbs:

18. Magnetic Poles

Not so...Countdown with Keith Olbermann is very openly commentary and editorial opinion, along with a lot of tongue in cheek (e.g. "Worst Person in the World"). Olbermann makes no bones about it being editiorial opinion.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been a long time since I watched him. Maybe his MO has changed. Makes sense. He's far more popular with the far left wackos than he used to be.

He used to like to throw paper in the air when he read a news item he didn't like. Makes some kind of point, I suppose. Does he still do that?

#59 carpro, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  20. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Same question goes for anyone else.....