1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Liberty - not worth supporting

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by agedman, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the Falwells. They, like most prominent Christian figures, do things that are not necessarily wrong but would be better left not done.

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This I agree with. But what rises to the level of evil?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of no evil.

• Like Like x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad you are unaware.

The evidence you seek from me has already been shown. You don’t apparently like the source (as some others don’t) and would rather remain ignorant rather than (as I suppose an alumnus has the right and authority) investigate.

The 1st church of Jerusalem sent Barnabas to investigate the goings on concerning reports from Antioch. After a short investigation, Barnabas sought the help of Paul.

If such effort was spent to discern, is it that unworthy for you to spend time discerning from whence you matriculated, and graduated?

Do your own legwork.

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, all that has been shown is an accusation. There was never any evidence. The accusation was made by someone who has reason to get at Falwell and is a known self-serving liar. That is not evidence.

You don't think I looked into this when the allegations came out? There was never any evidence just an allegation. Again, from a known self-serving liar.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is smoke in the distance and then the closer one gets the revealing of the fire.

When the once powerful 100% Hyles folks were blustering about liars trying to do damage, was it true? Certainly the rot has been revealed, well most of it, still no repentance.

Most refused the truth then and to this day some continue to refuse the sordid truth.

The pattern I saw then is similar seen. The players have changed, and some roles modified, but the core is rotting. It will all crumble.

Coverups, distractions, and power ate away at the very earliest beginnings and as termites do continue without notice.

Now, it is good that you are aware and have investigated. Do not neglect the warning that when confronting evil be careful it does become your own evil.

As an alumni, upon graduation, do the graduates given a charge by the leadership that should the school(s) stray from the veracity of the Scriptures, the graduates have authority to raise up and close the doors of the institution?

Just wondering.

7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry I believe in innocent until proven guilty. I also don't believe rumors without evidence.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same song and dance from the 100% Hyles folks.

Would there be rumors if there was no appearance base for the rumors?

If I am photographed at participating at party of ungodliness would I have the right to claim innocence?

Certainly you have read the first psalm?

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this climate? YES!

So you have seen photographs of this? I haven't.

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again heard the exact same reasoning - word for word - concerning both Jack and Dave in the 80’s.

Would you believe there were photographs, and some still refused?

Will you?

upload_2019-10-11_15-59-22.jpeg

upload_2019-10-11_15-59-57.jpeg

Did you actually read the article from the OP?

If not, you just might need to add something to your investigation.

11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do those pictures actually prove? And no, Politico is blocked for us which is why I asked several times for details. But seriously, what is wrong with the pics you posted?

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wanted pictures.

I didn't know you couldn't read the article posted in the OP. No wonder you seem to be lacking understanding of the OP.

Ok, under the first picture is this caption:
    In this July 19, 2014, photo from Miami Beach's WALL nightclub, Jerry Falwell Jr. (circled here in red) can be seen among the clubgoers. | Seth Browarnik/WorldRedEye.com

Under the second left and right picture is this caption:
    Left: A zoomed-in close-up of Jerry Falwell Jr. in the crowd at WALL nightclub in Miami Beach, taken from the photo at the start of this section. Right: Also at the club that night were Trey Falwell and his wife, Sarah. | Seth Browarnik/WorldRedEye.com

If you have access to a system that is not blocked, then go back to the OP and look at the article. It really isn't just lies and propaganda by enemies of the Falwells.

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @davidtaylorjr
    Because you are blocked from the article, let me present the facts as published by the photographer concerning the three pictures taken from: (
    New Photos Emerge of Falwell at Miami Nightclub)

I use these excerpts without permission with the understanding that doing so for educational purposes of another poster is the only goal. There is no financial gain, nor is the use so as extensive as to infringe upon copy write. All highlighting is my own.
    One day after POLITICO published a piece in which Jerry Falwell Jr. denied visiting a Miami Beach nightclub in July 2014 and alleged that any images showing such were “photo-shopped,” a new trove of photos showing Falwell at the club has been released.

Seth Browarnik, the owner of World Red Eye, a photography company that documents Miami’s bustling nightlife scene, says he was unaware how many photos he had of Falwell until Falwell alleged that his site’s images were manipulated—prompting Browarnik to explore his photo archive to prove otherwise.

In the article, Jerry Falwell Jr. repeatedly claimed that the photos—which POLITICO obtained from World Red Eye, which World Red Eye has had on their website for five years, and which show Falwell partying at Wall on July 19, 2014—were manipulated. “If the person in the picture is me, it was likely photo-shopped,” Falwell said.

Browarnik said he felt insulted. “My integrity is everything in this business,” he said.

Jerry Falwell Jr. did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

For the past 21 years, Browarnik has photographed Miami nightlife. Because of his trusted reputation as a photographer, he thought it was important to quickly quash Falwell’s accusation.

That’s why I have an archive of five million photos,” Browarnik told me. “That’s why we catalog everything.”

While reviewing images from the night in question, Browarnik discovered several previously unpublished photos from that evening in which Jerry Falwell Jr. and other members of the Falwell family can be seen—including Jerry’s wife, Becki, sons Trey and Wesley, and Trey’s wife, Sarah. In the images, the Falwells can be seen in the middle of the club’s dance floor while lasers and other light effects reflect around them. In at least two photos, Falwell family members can be seen holding alcohol. (Liberty University is notoriously strict about alcohol consumption, and students can receive demerits for co-ed dancing and be expelled for drinking.)

14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, and is there anything inherently evil/sinful about going to a nightclub?

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not realizing that some may not be able to review the article, perhaps it can be found by doing a search on the web.

Here is the headlines and author of the article:
    ‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the (snip) Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence

More than two dozen current and former Liberty University officials describe a culture of fear and self-dealing at the largest Christian college in the world.

By BRANDON AMBROSINO
    September 09, 2019​

16. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe, to explain why he was there, Falwell should have just said he thought The WALL was just a modern church?

17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again is there anything inherently wrong/evil/sinful about going to a nightclub?

18. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drinking is prohibited for all students at Liberty, including those over 21 who live off campus. So, for Falwell, it is inherently wrong for him to be at a nightclub. And, it looks like he lied about being there, and lying is inherently wrong.

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Students and staff are not the same thing you realize this right? Did he lie about being there?

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    99.9% of the time, YES!