1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Life given to Jesus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JamesL, Sep 7, 2017.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I am confused.

Are ya'll saying in reality, the Father isn't really, "giving," to the Son but that because of the equality of the two, because the Father has life in himself so also does the Son?

Is the context of the dialog of Jesus, as the prophet of God speaking? As in, "Thus says the LORD"?

Is not the Son, In the context of, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God," of which Jesus stated that was revealed to Peter by the Father himself, the Son, in the context of, But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born [fn] of a woman, born under the law, going to die relative to the death of Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him ?

Is that Son dependent upon Romans 8:11? But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
    Is that Son dependent upon John 5:21? For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth

Did what God told Adam in Genesis 2:17 have to be paid for? Did the wages have to be paid? Who was going to be paid the wages? For whom, was the promise of God, made before time ages, The sinner Adam or the sinless One who would give his life for Adam? Born of woman.

Kenosis!

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think most people would believe that the Son has always had life within Himself, and had no need to be granted life by the Father.

I think that's why this statement from Jesus is interpreted to be speaking about the Incarnation. But I don't get that.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See post #18

Trying to understand the details of the Hypostatic Union and the Kenosis is probably outside the scope our present understanding.

But go ahead and try percho, I have for years and all I get is a headache after about an hour or so.

:)

HankD

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And the Paraclete.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So what is John 5:26,27 saying?

I ask again. Is what is said by Jesus in that passage,in the context of, the prophet like unto Moses saying, Thus says the LORD?For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

LORD in the context of: The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand. Until I make thy foes thy footstool. Acts 2:34,35

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Tim 4:1
    Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;
    1 Peter 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Did the Father actually give the Son, glory?

When?

6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Incarnation is the relevant issue in regards to the Son of God having, or being granted certain things. "The Son" here, in other words, is within a temporal context, and should not be construed to be a general statement that reflects on the Eternal Nature of the Son of God.

God bless.