1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a college

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by jstrickland1989, Dec 16, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely. You will never regret it. Some colleges and universities are getting harder and harder to get into. Plus the better prepared you are, the greater the chance of a scholarship. The better prepared you are, the easier it will be for you in college to do well.

Learn English very well. Know things such as how a sentence functions. Take a speed reading course.

At the university I see students who are well prepared and those who struggle because they do not have adequate preparation and must get additional help. A few months ago a student wrote a paper for a class and it was clear he needed help. He asked the professor for help. Professors do not have time to help every student with work they should already know how to do from earlier classes or even high school.

One thing I failed to mention was to take some classes in speech and if you can, get involved in debate. Go out for sports or get involved in some extracurricular activities.

Universities are looking more and more at leadership qualities. They do not always take the person with the highest grades. They want people who when they leave will ge a good representation of the university in their leadership.

In each class I teach I require a paper to be written using APA format. In some classes I also require a presentation to be made in class using powerpoint or some other media.

Leaders will give presentations and write papers in their work. Missionaries will be called on to give presentations of the work they are doing and maybe sermons in churches.

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I go to Romania nearly every year. Where in Romania did you go?

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    gb93433,

Just a short side, I too teach college. Where do you teach?

sdg!

rd

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JS1989,

You are getting advice and years of wisdom from two who are IN higher education, and ministry, and have multiple advanced degrees from accredited schools; that has to be worth something!!!

sdg!

rd

5. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

Well, we actually didn't go to Romania, but we were thinking about it. We went to Chisinau (sp?) Moldova. I learned a lot, and thats where God gave me a heart for missions.

James

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am a doctoral student at the University of Northern Iowa in Industrial Technology and teach there as a graduate asssistant in construction management.

7. Brother Ian

Well, we actually didn't go to Romania, but we were thinking about it. We went to Chisinau (sp?) Moldova. I learned a lot, and thats where God gave me a heart for missions.

James
    </font>[/QUOTE]James,

I know Chisinau. I have been invited twice to teach at the Moldova Bible Seminary there, but have been unable to do that. The seminary has people come into the seminary to teach accelerated two week classes.

My mission work is in Southeast Romania in several villages surrounding Giurgiu. We enjoy our work there tremendously and look forward to going back.

8. jstrickland1989

James
    </font>[/QUOTE]James,

I know Chisinau. I have been invited twice to teach at the Moldova Bible Seminary there, but have been unable to do that. The seminary has people come into the seminary to teach accelerated two week classes.

My mission work is in Southeast Romania in several villages surrounding Giurgiu. We enjoy our work there tremendously and look forward to going back.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, about 4 months ago we took a trip to Moldova, and we were about to go to Bucharest Romania, but the trip fell through. It was a little discouraging, but we went to Moldova and the Lord used us there.

We have a soup kitchen/rescue mission going up in Razzinah (sp?) Moldova. We worked on that while we were there and then we have a Vacation Bible School for the kids. It was great!

James

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just remember as a missionary,</font>
    • your job is to work yourself out of a job.

and</font>
    • you can't teach what you haven't learned. If you are going to teach pastors and workers, you need to be taught what they will need to know. That's why I took Ethics and Logic instead of Missions Methods and Materials.</font>
    After seven years minstering to the EC-B brethren in Metro-Sacramento, I can say the following without hesitation. Your two most important classes will be Hermenutics and Homiletics. If Herm is not taught on the undergrad level, get a good grasp of it any way you can. But I'd work for a M.Div anyway.

10. jstrickland1989

Okay, I see. So you don't think I should even think about being a missionary/pastor without hermenutics and homiletics?

james

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but your students in Moldova will need a teacher who has a grasp of the subjects w/o him staying one chapter ahead of them.

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    js1989,

Squire has also told you the truth in a deep and profound way.

IMHO, you need both a broad general studies background BA/BS and then the MDiv also. The advanced professional degree will have the Biblical Languages, Homiletics (how to put together and delivery sermons), Hermeneutics (Biblical Interpretation dealing w/languages, history, culture, etc., et al), and many other things that will equip you to do ANY KIND OF MINISTRY--primarily pastoral ministry and any/all kinds of missions.

If you are proficient in the Biblical languages in seminary (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), it will be a real blessing when/if you do language study for the mission field.

Points to ponder.

sdg!

rd

13. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

As for the original language study, I have found over the last fifteen years men in and from the former USSR (Moldova counts as a former part of the Empire) have no back ground in the original languages. They are strictly monolingual. They have at best (thanks to the folks at OnLine Bible, Bob Jones University and Licht im Osten) the Russian version of Strongs Concordance (and that wasn't published until 1998 or so). However to the best of my knowledge they don't have anything approaching Vine's Expository Dictionary.

Off to Sat. Eve. Men's Prayer Meeting, see you when I get back

14. Brother Ian

Squire,

Our friend who lives in Romania who is our host when we are in Romania has family in Sacremento. Form what I understand, there is a huge Romanian population in Sacremento.

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

There are 2 groups of colleges......[snipped]

[ December 18, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    James - I would recommend Maranatha BBC without question. It is close to home and that is a real + for students. It is culturally akin (can still remember some culture shock visiting BoJo or Tennessee Temple; they are Suthran) to you.

I would train for pastoral studies - more Bible and solid training for missions. They are fully accredited, with a great total program, strong rules/dress code but not loony-tune and NOT kjvonly sect but use the kjv in all classes. Good balance.

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

[snipped]

[ December 18, 2005, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo - not cutting you one bit of slack. You bring the KJVonly into this and YOU will be on the outside, looking in.

Already snipping a previous post. Most Baptists don't want anything to do with this.

19. jstrickland1989

Yeah it really is a plus for me. Well, lol, I'm orignally from NC, so it wouldn't be that much of a shock for me, but I now call Wisconsin home, and would love to go to college here.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with dress codes and stuff like that. However, I don't want to go to a college that is so indulged in this "KJV only" stuff. I don't mind people using mainly the KJV, but I tend to disagree on how people refer to the KJV as the only "real" Bible.

James

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Let me second that. Translational discussions are not welcome here as they are not germane. Keep on topic. Baptist Board rules are clear. Any further violations will warrant actions from BB leadership that can include temporary or permanent suspension.