1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for info: Partial Preterism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gorship, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi All,

So in the process of testing my "IFB" beliefs I have held to for a long time. Eventually I had to question my beliefs in Pre-Trib/Pre-Mill dispensationalism.

I have to admit that Partial-Preterism seems to answer a lot of things that didn't make sense to me.

I suppose my question is;

Is partial-preterism embraced/known among baptist circles? not saying it has to be the most popular but I am curious if there are others who see it as an option.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Among Baptists, P.P. is found mostly in the Calvinist or the Reformed/Particular Baptist camps. I hold to P.P. It is important to note that there is a huge gap between Partial-Preterism and full Preterism. As a P.P. I still believe the second coming is imminent.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It appears my theology divide is getting further...haha I truly find myself a osas arminian and am finding P.P extremely convincing

Appreciate the response sir.

Blessings,

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a study in contradictions! LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No joke baha

• Like Like x 1
  6. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PP is a straightforward statement of Gospel truth. Jesus lives & reigns! The "this generation" that rejected him perished in AD 70, according to Jesus' Olivet prophecy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was invited to join this forum by a fellow Englishman (David Kent) to assist him in a discussion on Gabriel's 70 weeks, which by any logical arithmetic ended with the declaration that those who rejected their Messiah were "uncircumcised" (Acts 7) & the opening of the Gospel without circumcision to the Gentiles (Acts 10) without a 2000 year (300 week) gap.

The main arguments for futurism are based on the supposed need for literal fulfilment of OT prophecy concerning national Israel. These prophecies get forced into a 7 year 70th week tribulation & an earthly millennium.

There is no support for this interpretation in the NC Scriptures. The Gospel church, comprising the thousands of Jews who formed the Pentecost church (Acts 2) together with further Jews & converted Gentiles, (the Apostles preached in the synagogues of the dispersion) inherits the promises to the Patriarchs that included all nations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Full Preterist I can also agree with these statements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an historicist I can also.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From my experience, all forms of preterism seem to be rejected by Baptists. I was practically thrown out of a "prophecy" class in my church a couple of years ago for even suggesting my partial preterist views. They accused me of subscribing to Replacement Theology, which is truly shows how little they understand this eschatological view in the first place. Maybe we can help this baby grow, but there is a lot of resistance.

I became increasingly unsure of the whole futurist view when I discovered Gary DeMar's articles and videos on American Vision.org. By now, I've read many of his books - "Last Days Madness", "The Early Church and the End of the World", "Myths, Lies, & Half-Truths", "10 Popular Prophecy Myths Exposed and Answered", and several others. I've also read Ken Genrtry's "Before Jerusalem Fell", where he makes a very strong case for the pre-AD 70 writing of Revelation. This was a real "eschatological game-changer". Boy, did I ever digress???? Instead of answering your question, I spent more time with book recommendations.:Geek

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Gorship, I thought I should give you a fair warning. You may have already discovered that there are some on this BB that are very strongly opposed to all forms of preterist views. Robycopy3 is like a bulldog, and he will just keep coming back with telling you why the futurist view is right and preterism is just nonsense. He will belittle your views by using all caps and using phrases like "MMRRRPPHHH!!! WRONG!", then go on to ask how you can believe such nonsense. John of Japan will try to use intellectual arguments to refute our views. If you get into discussions with these guys, don't let them frustrate you. Know when to walk away. That's my nickel's worth of free and unsolicited advice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi lodic!

I appreciate that a lot.

It's too bad we can't simply discuss it. I was mentored under ifb pretrib premill view and was drilled "literal historical grammatical hermenutic", so following that principle I always got stuck in places like Matthew 24.

Lately I've been pushing out my bubble in a lot of my theology and in terms of eschatology. The p.p view seems to fit quite easily with places I got stuck before. So that's why I started exploring it hah.

Not to say those who disagree are not attempting to do the same but that's where I've ended up.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it the truth, though? It's almost like a political discussion, where there is no room for an actual discussion. Based on your earlier posts, I am guessing that IFB is "Independent Freewill Baptist". I will confess that I know next to nothing about the IFB doctrines. Could you let me know a little about their / your views?
    I am more of a Baptist by marriage than by conviction. My wife was raised Roman Catholic until she was about 14, when she converted to Southern Baptist. We love our little church, even though I disagree with them on OSAS and eschatology. I became Christian at the age of 18, and the only church in town was Baptist. During my Christian walk, I've also been Assembly of God, and have been learning more of Reformed Theology over the past couple of years. My apologies for being long-winded. This is a nice break after a recent very long argument with Roby. (I didn't take my own advice, and let it go on too long.)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thrown off the IFB forum (Independent Fundamental Baptist) for my antifuturist views.

#14 Covenanter, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  15. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IFB = Independent fundemental baptist.

Very conservative, I didnt really fit in but went through faith bible institute, got taught a lot and grew into a deacon roll/did some fill in teaching when we searched for a pastor.

Recently for myself I have been questioning my staunch kjv preferred/only stance and have since changed positions to more of a byzantine text preferred but "dont really care what you read so long as you are reading" stance lol.

I am a OSAS Arminian, we do exist lol.

Long ago I was in a pentecostal circle prayin' and slayin' but then questioned my time there - moved into ifb, spent 5-7 years there, and now again I am testing things I call doctrine and seeing where things fall.

I guess I'm just never satisfied lol.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Really? That's rediculous but extremely unsurprising

17. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've reminded me of a song by Rhonda Robison (daughter of James and Betty Robison) from the 80s - "Let's Not Be Satisfied". (I still have this as an old LP.) Part of the lyrics are "Let's not be satisfied with where we are in the Lord, but let's go on...There's so much more of Jesus that we've not yet experienced...we must go on in the Lord". I was trying to find a "YouTube" link, but no luck. Still, I believe the Spirit is prompting you just as He prompts so many of us to stretch. That's certainly how I felt as I was dissatisfied with what I was being taught.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The IFB forum was KJV only - I posted using only KJV, but in practice as a church we used modern versions as our congregation included Asians with poor English, & needing translation. The KJV with its archaic language was difficult for them to understand.

We kept to simple English & used the NIV.

For discussion, I don't rely on any translation, but use the blueletterbible.org which provides many translations & Strongs numbering system.

OSAS is OK provided you insist on faithful Christian living, rather than the usual idea of "make your decision, then you're saved by Jesus, so it doesn't matter how you live because you can't be lost once saved even if you return to a sinful life."

Most who hold to Reformed (Calvinistic) doctrine started life & were saved as Arminians. As we grow in faith & knowledge of our LORD Jesus, our understanding of Scripture & doctrine develop.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As for my osas it's a little hard to explain over my phone.

But to take a crack at it.

I suppose I take adoption very seriously so I believe a wandering Christian will be chastened and if necessary called home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well now, that wasn't so hard to explain was it? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.