1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Loving the Return Of Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

JesusFan if you would spend half the time actually reading and trying to understand what others write as you do starting endless new topics, you would see how your question is foolish.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Not at all and you know that is not what Steve is saying!

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. It is clear that as disembodied spirits we are in some way with the Lord from the moment of death until our Lord's return (eg. Rev 6:9). I cannot imagine what it will be like to be a spirit without a body. But that is not our destiny (Job 19:26; 1Cor 15:20ff). At Christ's return, we, united with our glorified bodies, shall rise to meet our Saviour (1 Thes 4:16-17). As I said, the mechanics of this I leave to God, but the Scriptures are clear enough for us to see what will happen.

Steve

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

IF there is NO physical resurrection of the body and reuniting with our souls/spirits that are in heaven waiting for time of second Coming...

We would NOT have the full completed salvation promised of the lord...

We NEED to have glorified our physical bodies to receive the full inheritance God promised us in Christ!

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is confusing grasshopper, that is what we are wanting you to tell us.

The full preterist believes that "all has been fulfilled".

What about :

1 Thessalonians 4
    15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
    16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.​

The implication of this passage is that it is a one-time occurrence at His coming after which we go off somewhere with Him to be with Him forever.

What then of all those who have died after the supposed AD70 fulfillment of this passage.

What other scripture or what hermeneutic of this scripture of the full preterist view offers us any hope?

I believe this is the Achilles Heel of full preterism.

After AD70 the scripture becomes a closed book because it cannot be proved otherwise. "all has been fulfilled", all the hope promises, the resurrection, the old heaven and earth has been burned up in a great noise, the new heavens and new earth have been esablished, the New Jerusalem has come down from heaven and been populated, etc, etc, ...

Show us scripture(s) otherwise... but you can't because "all has been fulfilled".

If in the 21st century (and all centuries after AD70) the New Jerusalem is still being populated then "all has not been fulfilled".

Even at the end of the Book of Revelation He had not come yet.

Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.​

HankD

#25 HankD, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  6. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

7. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do spirits have eyes, legs, arms? As I said, I have no idea what it would be like to be a disembodied spirit. Do you know? On what basis then?

The most detailed account concerning this matter comes in 2 Cor 5:1-8:-

'For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. 6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.'
    2 Cor 5:1-8 (NKJV)

I hope we can agree that the 'tent' that Paul speaks of in verse 1 is our mortal bodies. In verse 4, he tells us that he does not desire to 'be unclothed, but further clothed.' What he is looking forward to is not being a disembodied spirit, but to have a brand new resurrection body that does not age or wear out. However, knowing that he has the Spirit as a guarantee that this will come about, he is aware that so long as he is in his present body he is away from his Lord (v6). So he will be quite ready to leave this old body behind and go to be with Christ (v7), but that does not contradict what he has said before- that what he is really looking forward to is that new resurrection body.

I have no intention of spending money on what I believe to be a totally aberrant theology. If you want to persuade me of this view, you're going to have to do it yourself.

I am delighted to hear it. I do not fall out with anyone, premil or postmil, who believes that Christ is yet to come. However, I do believe that Hyper-preterism (quite apart from its ridiculous anti-Biblical stance) is outside of the doctrine of Christ as it has been established for 2,000 years. I also believe that it goes directly against our Lord's command for Christians to 'watch' and 'be ready.' Why should be watch for the Lord's return if He has already come and is not coming again? So we will fall into the condemnation of Matt 24:48-51.

An Amillennialist sees the parable as being both present and future.

Steve

8. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

9. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#29 asterisktom, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same way we explain Isaiah 7:14.

11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are entirely wrong. I never said that. I said I don't know. Nor do you.
    It is not I who said that. It is the Apostle Paul (Titus 2:13). Perhaps it would be good if you directed your attention to this verse and the other texts I provided in the link on my OP.
    Obviously not, since the Bible says otherwise.
    Whether or not disembodied Christians can see without eyes, Paul and others are very clear that their 'Blessed Hope' is not death, which is always regarded as an enemy (Isaiah 25:7-8; 1 Cor 15:6 etc.), but the return of Christ when death will be defeated for ever.
    God is God; you and I aren't. God made Man to have a body and it is clear that we are incomplete without it, otherwise He wouldn't have given us one. Also, we were made to live upon the earth, not float about as spirits; and that is our destiny as the following verses show:-

'Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth' (Matt 5:5). Have the meek been doing that since AD 70? I don't think so.

'For the promise that he would be the heir of the world was not to Abraham or to his seed through the law, butb through the righteousness of faith' (Rom 4:13). Did Abraham's seed inherit the world in AD 70?

[You] have made us kings and priests to our God; and we shall reign upon the earth' (Rev 5:10). How are Christians reigning upon the earth in North Korea or Saudi Arabia just now?

We often think of Christians going to heaven, but again, that is not our final destiny. Heaven comes to us! 'Then I, John, saw the holy City, New Jerusalem, coming down from heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them.....' (Rev 21:2-3).

How would a First Century Christian living in Corinth or Philippi watch for the invisible return of Christ to Jerusalem? What would it have meant to them? They wouldn't have heard about it for some weeks or months, and in any case their lives would scarcely have changed as a result.

12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of verses in 1 Thessalonians occurred to me this evening.

2:19-20. 'For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? For you are our glory and joy.'

Paul would be rejoicing at the Return of Christ, but the crown or pinnacle of his rejoicing would be seeing so many of the Thessalonian Christians saved alongside of him. That would be the vindication of his ministry. Note that Paul doesn't say that he will be rejoicing when he dies and goes to be with the Lord. No, his rejoicing will be at the Return of Christ.

3:12-13. And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.'

Paul is praying for love, the first and greatest fruit of the Spirit, to abound in the hearts of the Thessalonians, in order that when the Lord Jesus returns, there will be evidence of their conversion at the great day of Judgement.
    Now the Letter to the Thessalonians was written about 19 years before the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70. Some of the Thessalonians would have died in that time and some would still be alive. Paul doesn't say that he wants the Thessalonians' hearts to be abounding when they die; he wants them abounding here and now because the Lord may come at any time. If Christ returned in AD 70, what judgement did the folk who were still alive face at that time? They didn't even know that Jerusalem had fallen for some weeks or months after the event. The world ended, the new heavens and new earth came into being and they didn't even know about it? I don't think so!

Steve

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the revelation [apocalypse] of Jesus Christ, please pinpoint the passage that you believe coincides with the any of the 'comings' you've cited.

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you miss the emphases here. Consider this:

2:19-20. 'For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not you in the presence [Parousia] of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? For you are our glory and joy.'

3:12-13. And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.'

It is all a matter of perspective, albeit sheathed (in this case) by eschatology. What is more important: an event or the abiding reality? The abiding reality is Christ's eternal Parousia, His presence among those whom He redeemed. I believe this was Paul's emphasis. You see it in many of Paul's letters, and in the rest of the Bible.

To make the timing of the event such a Shibboleth - as opposed to the timeless reality of His presence - is to go far afield, needlessly - not to say unscripturally! - making enemies out of friends and brothers.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In short, all of them. In line with Acts 1:11, I see only one Return of Christ, and that is a visible one. Of course, different accounts concentrate on different aspects of the Event.

Steve

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm afraid you are somewhat confused here. The word translated 'in the presence' in this verse is not parousia but emprosthen which means 'before,' in the presence of' or 'in the face of.' It is 'coming' which is the translation of parousia. Now parousia certainly has the meaning of 'coming and abiding' and this is exactly what the Lord Jesus will do when He returns at the end of time. But in what way were the Thessalonian Christians 'in the face of' the Lord Jesus at the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70? They can have known nothing of the event for some weeks or months after it happened.

Once again, 'before' here is a translation of emprosthen. The Thessalonians will be standing in the presence of God the Father at the return of Christ.
    There is no reality without the event. If Christ does not return visibly (as per Acts 1:11), the joy of meeting Him face to face at that time is a myth.
    Absolutely not! As I showed in my O.P., the great hope and longing of the 1st Century Christians was for the physical return of Christ.
    Tom, what I'm going to say now is in sorrow, not in anger. I would much sooner be in unity with you than at variance.

Where is the basis of our Christian unity or brotherhood? We can't even recite the Apostles' Creed together. 'From thence He shall come to judge both the living and the dead.' You believe in a Christ who is never coming back. I'm sorry, but I don't believe in that Christ.

You have set yourself apart from your 'Christian friends and brothers' by espousing a doctrine that flies in the face of all Christian creeds and confessions right from the start, including the one espoused by the Chinese house churches. You are denying part of the doctrine of Christ, just as much as if you denied His virgin birth or His Deity. [If saying that gets me thrown off the baptist Board, I'm quite ready to go]

In the love of Jesus Christ I implore you to think again about this vital doctrine; to ask yourself if setting your supposed wisdom against the settled position of the Church down the ages is not an act of pride and arrogance, and to ponder if some of the texts that I and others have set before you do not entirely refute your position.

Steve

17. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was indeed mistaken on the "parousia" references in the beginning of my post. I miswrote from memory. There is more I need to say on this, however, but for now I want to focus on the last part of your post. The parts I want to emphasize I underlined:

"Pride and arrogance": If I were to use that phrase to you you would rightfully call me to task for judging a brother. But it is OK for you to do that to me. I only call this inconsistency to your attention. Preterists are pretty inured to that charge. I would lie if I said there was no pride in my life (Is there in yours'?), but it was no pride that led me Preterism. I didn't think, "Gosh, how can I be different from all the other Christians and stick out like a sore thumb." No, it was Scripture. And a willingness to begin to consider that traditions need to first of all be examined.

Which brings me to the other thing: The great emphasis you lay on creeds and confessions. Do you not see that those are not on par with Scripture? That they, in some cases, take away from the force of pure Scripture? Inevitably, those who rail against Preterism as supposed enemies of Christ, use creeds and confessions as their clobbering sticks.

When Christ spoke of traditions of men making the Word of God of none effect do you suppose He was referring to something that only was relevant only to first-century Jews? Or that their experience exhausted the application? No. Rather, He was pointing to an ongoing downtrend in faulty human reasoning, a mission-creep in theology that must be ever guarded against. That is why we must always base our beliefs - and defend our positions - from Scripture.

Where do you find anywhere in Scripture warrant for such a magisterial use of Creeds and Confessions as we see today?

Please don't put words in my mouth: I do believe in Christ who came, and is here. There is a world of difference between this and your odd "believe in a Christ who is never coming back."

There is much, also, that you are mistaken on concerning those house churches, but you have more liberty to discuss that than I do now, so I'm not going to go further on this.

#37 asterisktom, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad that you agree that you were mistaken, on this point at least. I look forward to seeing how this modifies your previous post.

It must surely be clear to you by now that I cannot in all conscience treat you as a brother in Christ. 'And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.'
    I make it a point never to take offense at anything that is said to or about me on a discussion forum.
    What else but pride can lead a man to think that he is wiser than the Church Fathers, the Reformers, the Puritans and everyone else down through history, especially to come up with such a crackpot unbiblical nonsense as Hyper-preterism? This is the spirit of the Unitarians, 7th Day Adventists and assorted heretics. They all reject Creeds and say they 'just believe the Bible.'

Time is pressing on me so I leave your comments on creeds and confessions for the moment except to say that I believe they are vital to the health of the churches. If the Church of England had kept to the XXIX Articles, it might not be the appalling mess it is today. If PCUSA had kept to the WCF, the same might be true of it. Also, if Mark Driscol and others knew the Reformed confessions, they might not have given T.D. Jakes a free pass on the Trinity in the Elephant Room just recently.
    I will simply refer you to the Statement of Faith which the Chinese House Church leaders found it necessary to publish, not as a cause of division, but as a spur to unity and as a bulwark against false teaching.

http://www.chinaforjesus.com/StatementOfFaith.htm

I draw your attention to Article Seven:

It's a wee bit premillennial for my own tastes, but I don't fall out with anyone who believes in the coming return of Christ.

Steve