1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Luther Rice College: Matthew Henry is outdated, but Calvin is not??

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just using their own logic here, for if they see water baptism must be done to get saved, and if Baptist one not legit, then person not saved!

2. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I refuse to make that jump without a very specific memory of hearing them say it. I won't. Ever.

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You already heard it, per them, the Baptist baptism was not legit, and since one must have a valid water baptism to be saved?

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luther Rice is a Southern Baptist school. The name "Luther Rice" is famous in Baptist missions history. He had a great influence in turning Baptists to look at the world harvest fields. He sailed to India with Adoniram Judson, and became a Baptist with him through studying the Bible. Rice then returned to the US to become a missionary statesman.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luther Rice College & Seminary has never had official ties to the Southern Baptist Convention.

Before and during so-called Conservative Resurgence, Southern Baptist Fundamentalists turned to independent schools like Luther Rice, Mid-America Seminary (Memphis), Criswell College, and Liberty.

Liberty and Criswell now have state convention ties (with the alternate splinter 'conservative' conventions that were rolled out in Virginia and Texas, respectively)

Mid-America and Luther Rice still don't, although their constituency is largely Southern Baptist.

Georgia Baptist Convention Schools

#85 Jerome, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info. Back in the day (1970's), Tennessee Temple also had a lot of SBC students. Then they actually went SBC before dying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am learning so much from the library websites of the different colleges, especially Luther Rice. I would not understand all of these piecemeal videos and handouts if not for my former paralegal studies. I have a foundation to place most of this new information.

I can do this if I just put in the work. But I have to continually reevaluate if I should do what I can. Because in the end, if I am not walking the path that Father wants me on, he is going to reroute me. He always does.

The plan is crooked, and always has been, but I see his hand in preparing me for what comes next, in the most unusual ways. I am still one course short of finishing my community college freshman year, but I had a ton of self-education and informal training to supplement that. My formal education has gaping holes, as we all can see, but I understand this advanced research and writing stuff enough to make use of it.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, all faculty at Luther Rice are required to be SBC (unless something has changed with SACS accreditation), even if the school is not an agency of the national or state SBC organization.

Also, Luther Rice himself is buried in Edgefield, South Carolina (a few miles north of Augusta GA), with an obelisk monument marking his grave.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a lot of power by an accrediting agency that doesn't necessarily translate into things that people think of when thinking of accreditation.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SACS may properly require faculty to have terminal degrees from a diversity of schools. However, I don't think they would require a denominational school to hire professors who are not a member of that denomination. What their policy might be for nondenominational or interdenominational schools, I don't know.

11. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, you mean that was already a self-imposed requirement, not one imposed by SACS? You meant that SACS might have forced them NOT to require that anymore?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, since Luther Rice was founded by and is still operated by Southern Baptists, though not an official school of either the national or state convention.

SACS would not likely alter that internal requirement unless (pure speculation) the fact that LRS is non- or inter-denominational might change that. I simply don't know on that point.

13. Peter James

Peter James New Member

Yes, you've got to be careful with using academic vs less than academic work. I too was confused at first, wondering how John MacArthur (president of a Seminary) would be counted as "popular" work but not academic work for research papers.

In one of my classes (at Luther Rice) after having written a paper, I realized that I failed to have good citations for the intro, but I had it for the rest of the paper. Oddly, the intro writing came last, not first. I didn't really want to slug through the academic literature yet again for the intro. I *tried* to flubb it and I used Thomas Constable's commentary figuring he was a Dallas Theological professor - surely, he would be okay to cite.

NOPE! POINTS TAKEN OFF! lol :) Lesson learned!

• Like Like x 1
  14. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are times that an introduction would best include something outside of a quote from a scholarly article. Sigh!

But I just need to know the standard practices, and need to practice them first. You cannot make good choices about breaking rules until you know exactly what they are.

You all are so helpful!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should have use Charles Stanley as His Dr came from them I believe!

• Friendly Friendly x 1