1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The admonition of rendering to God what is God's, and to Ceasar what is Ceasar's would disagree with that. Civil marriage in the ancient era was only a declaration of intent to live together, while civil divorce was only an intent to live apart. Nothing more.

#41 Johnv, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Rom. 13 does not say one cannot speak out against the government.

I never said the Constitution was put into place to uphold God's law. I said that government/rulers/etc. are put in place by God.

If the government doesn't regulate marriage, who will? You realize, of course, polygamy will be legal in that scenario, as will child marriage.

3. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Why are you even posting on a Christian web-site?
    Why don't don't you just give us your website?
    molestlittlegirls.com
    What is wrong with you?
    Get behind me Satan.
    Cod-Brain.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he was using those questions as an example of why marriages need to be governed by the state. not that he endorsed them.

5. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Well, if he was and I misunderstood his post, I apologize.
    I'm , the cod-brain.

6. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Then I should say that God already said what marriage was, and that human government has no control over it.

7. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Romans 13 (New American Standard Bible)

Romans 13

Be Subject to Government

1Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
    2Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
    3For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;
    4for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
    5Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience' sake.

Gee...it seems that according to verse 3 that only the EVIL has to worry.
    That only the ones that do EVIL have a problem with resisting 'Authority'.
    Who among you think that even if the majority is evil then that is what we should do because it is what the majority thinks?
    Verse 4...minister of God to you for good.
    Gee...seems when others make a law that is against God, that Christians are not to do it.
    (For the ones who not believe this, please start another thread why man's law trumps God's law.)
    According to verse 3, if it is good, it is from God.
    Man says abortion is good, it is a law. God says murder is bad.

You decide.

8. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Huh?

Genesis 2:24 (King James Version)

24Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Now, how in the world do you get that governments ordain marriages?

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev already answered your question. johnv suffers from the delusion that God hasn't charged human governors to uphold His law and can't see the consequences of his kind of thinking.

Besides, girls getting married by twelve is in Jewish traditions, not in Moses. Jewish girls could be married as toddlers, but had to wait for puberty before being joined with their husbands. I posted that to show him that marriage cannot be in the hands of religious sects alone, but under the auspices of the civil government.

Oh, and next time you feel the need to let fly with railing accusations, read the whole thread.

#49 Aaron, Nov 6, 2009
  10. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

(1) If he did, or not, wether he answered my question is not up to you.
    (2) I'll let him debate me on that question. I don't need you to try to talk for me sweetheart.
    (3) There you go again...assuming that you know what you are talking about. Let's see.....how does one say this on a Christian site?
    Ahhhh. Go alatide thyself.

#50 Nonsequitur, Nov 6, 2009
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As soon as you addressed me I was well within my rights to correct you. Now, if you're too sensitive about that, maybe you shouldn't be playing with the big boys.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The institution of marriage did quite well for the thousands of years that the government wasn't involved in it.

13. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

My e-mail address is on my profile.
    Let's not de-rail the thread.
    As for the thread.
    You are still wrong in my opinion.:tongue3:

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it makes the God-ordained institution of marriage into a political football - for the same reason that we don't want the government in other church issues.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It did? Where did marriage ever exist where there was no government?—after the Fall, that is.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    David Boaz of the Cato Institute:

"Andrew Sullivan, one of the leading advocates of gay marriage, writes, "Marriage is a formal, public institution that only the government can grant." But the history of marriage and the state is more complicated than modern debaters imagine, as one of its scholars, Lawrence Stone, writes: "In the early Middle Ages all that marriage implied in the eyes of the laity seems to have been a private contract between two families. ... For those without property, it was a private contract between two individuals, enforced by the community sense of what was right." By the 16th century the formally witnessed contract, called the "spousals," was usually followed by the proclamation of the banns three times in church, but the spousals itself was a legally binding contract.

Only with the Earl of Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1754 did marriage in England come to be regulated by law. In the New England colonies, marriages were performed by justices of the peace or other magistrates from the beginning. But even then common-law unions were valid.

In the 20th century, however, government has intruded upon the marriage contract, among many others. Each state has tended to promulgate a standard, one-size-fits-all formula. Then, in the past generation, legislatures and courts have started unilaterally changing the terms of the marriage contract. Between 1969 and 1985 all the states provided for no-fault divorce. The new arrangements applied not just to couples embarking on matrimony but also to couples who had married under an earlier set of rules. Many people felt a sense of liberation; the changes allowed them to get out of unpleasant marriages without the often contrived allegations of fault previously required for divorce. But some people were hurt by the new rules, especially women who had understood marriage as a partnership in which one partner would earn money and the other would forsake a career in order to specialize in homemaking.

Privatization of religion--better known as the separation of church and state--was our founders' prescription for avoiding Europe's religious wars. Americans may think each other headed for hell, but we keep our religious views at the level of private proselytizing and don't fight to impose one religion by force of law. Other social conflicts can likewise be depoliticized and somewhat defused if we keep them out of the realm of government. If all arts funding were private (as 99 percent of it already is), for instance, we wouldn't have members of Congress debating Robert Mapplethorpe's photographs or the film The Watermelon Woman."

- more at www.slate.com/toolbar.aspx?action=print&id=2440

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So if the gov't bows out of marriage, what then?

Who will decide who can get married, custody, child support, divorce, etc? It will be better without the government? I don't think so.

18. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

More at this site? Why? How to creativly p** on her?

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The premise of Sodom, that only government can grant a marriage, is not an argument that I've seen anyone make. tiny tim came awfully close to that, though.

I said that Caesar must protect marriage. Never did I say he was the author of it. Civil law is merely the enforcement of the second table of the Decalogue. That is what Caesar is there for.

20. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

You follow Ceasar.....
    I'll follow God.:godisgood:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.