1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Major Restaurants Remove Christmas Spirit

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

The whole reason Englishmen got started here in the first place was in the interests of establishing a Christian Society

Every early governing document is laced with Christian Priniples and references to God and Christ, etc.

The vast majority of residents until 1950's professed to be Christian and lived by such principles.

How can Christianity have a bad place to flourish? Paul always preached Christianity in a very public forum. Revivalists have always preached publicly as opposed to closed congregations. Christianity should be public. the reason PC philisophies triumph is because we are too private with our Christianity. Ask de Touqueville...etc...etc...etc

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Those who despise the fact that this country was founded on christian principles always look to find and display those things this country was wrong on. But error doesn't change the facts.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Funny that the Constitution failed to mention it.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow...what a bunch of bah hum bugs!

It is not that these restaurants have stopped decorating for this holiday season. It is for the reason they no longer decorate, and that is to NOT TO OFFEND OTHER RELIGIONS.

This is just one more sign that the politically correct movement in this nation will soon be asking churches to take the crosses off the steeples and down from the hill outside your township; the word Christ or church off their sign in front of the church; the removal of the Ten Commandments from the court house; all in the name of NOT OFFENDING others. They are already trying to take God off the coins, and they have stopped the use of one nation under God and prayer in schools.

The spirit of Christmas has been slowly, but surely, removed from the places that used to freely acknowledge the season for their Christian customers. If the church continues to take for granted the right to enjoy their freedom to publically worship Christ, it won't be long until every thing having to do with Christmas, Easter, or a simple Sunday worship service will be pulled if it OFFENDS others.

I miss the warmth of the decorations and the meaning those decorations meant to me as a believer as I sat and enjoyed a cozy dinner with my wife and children. Now the restaurants are simply devoid of the joy this season once shared with others. In the name of OFFENDING others, we now wish people Happy Holidays, and that is my concern. I don't believe I'm wrong when I say that this is a nation that was founded on Christian values. For years there was nothing wrong with using the word Christmas with this time of the year. Now, it is shunned. Maybe Christ wasn't born on December Th, but, that is not the problem. The problem is, that is when this nation chose to celebrate His birth. If we are not allowed to mention the Christ of Christmas, is this not another sign that the church is being run out of this country?

Wake up church.....before it's too late.

Pastor Paul

5. Magnetic Poles

Who is not allowed to mention Christ? You certainly did. Sounds like freedom to me.

Business owners do have to be sensitive to all customers. That is just good sense. But feel free to wish them a cheery "Merry Christmas"and share your Christmas joy around.

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

oh goodness.....it'll be okay, that is as long as Christians don't forget to act like Christians instead of trusting our local Olive Garden to proclaim the reason for the season to the culture.

Happy Holidays.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Don't forget that it does allow for some human beings to be consider 3/5 of a person when we count them...an distinctively Christian principle. ;)

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree with you that "political correctness" has become ridiculous. However, it's unrealistic to suppose that restaurants, shops and other public buildings that are festooned with holly, ivy, lights,are celebrating the birth of our Lord and Saviour.

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Don....you are such a motivational force on this board. I read all of the other comments, but, yours hit a chord within me, and I will no longer concern myself with such trivial issues. Everyone should be tuned into your advice giving, because its tongue-in-cheek humor makes light of our most serious problems.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

sorry...I watch too much satire, thus I think that is why I approach some things the way I do.

Not all things though.....in fact....here is my serious response.

Honestly, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill (is that the right way to say it?). The places of business that we walk into are serving communities of all different types of people; and to expect them to cater to your wishes is wishful thinking.

As believers, we have unfortunately given ourselves the reputation of a group of people that react and complain this time of year. Here is what I mean: you walked into a restaraunt and complained to a manager during an already stressful time of year for customer service (trust me, I know). Your complaints were supposedly about Jesus Christ not being recognized, but made them superficial by making them about decorations. What do you think your reputation is with that restaraunt. I can tell you. They are PRAYING (maybe even to the same God) that you never come back....because what comes with you is complaints. That is the honest truth.

Now, what is your other option? Glad you asked. Why don't you make an impression that leaves them with a desire to want to learn more about Jesus? Someone mentioned in an earlier post, give a 30% tip and mention to your waiter that your generosity is the result of what this season means to you. Holy cow! Now what is your reputation with that restaraunt?! They may think they want you to come back because you gave them tons of money....but they are also left with knowing that you take this holiday we've created seriously, and its meaning is extremely important to you. Instead of complaining (reacting).....take some steps to do something that leaves a reputation that speaks of what this holiday means (take action....don't wait to react). It isn't about the comfort you have with a tree, wreath, and a familiar slogan....do something that actually demonstrates what this means to you. Get uncomfortable! That is one of the things that rubbed me the wrong way...you are wanting to be comfortable with things you are used to. If you are comfortable....you might want to do a spiritual inventory, because it isn't about your comfort. Complaining doesn't demonstrate that. It demonstrates that you want it your way, or you'll pitch a fit.

That is me being honest, with little to no satire.:thumbs:

#50 dan e., Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen

Thanks for being the straight guy.....however, I did not pitch a fit, or even mention Jesus in my concern. I did tell them that I missed the homey Christmas decor that they've displayed for as long as I can remember.

That was it. I only pitched my concerns on BB in hopes of seeing if others have seen the same trend and felt the same way. It appears that most BB members don't have a concern with the loss of the Christmas spirit in their local restaurants.

I had thought most believers would be concerned that businesses are bending to religious tolerance when it comes to this major holiday. I believe that this is the same apathy that will one day usher in religious persecution, especially aimed at Christians.

In my area, there have been several suits by the ACLU to have crosses removed from churches, and hilltops, and it looks like they may win. What is next, only God knows for sure. However, sitting by and watching our traditions be removed without a whimper is the reason this country and the church will one day be pushed out, and trampled under the feet of our enemies.

Sorry, but, that's my view, and my heart is saddened that the church is so PASSIVE that the other religions of this world can run us over without a fight.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

12. Magnetic Poles

Unless you can cite a real case, you are bearing false witness. The ACLU does not try to get crosses removed from churches; only from public buildings. You should not lie to support your points.

As for hilltops, which ones? Are they public property?

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    San Diego and Joshua Tree

There are two sites in California. A memorial for American Filipino soldiers who fought in WW2. There is also a large cross in Joshua Tree, CA that they are trying to get removed. In LA, they forced the city council to remove the Catholic cross from their letter head. In Redlands, CA they forced the city to remove a cross from their letter head.

I am not bear false witness. I may be in error as to whether it's the ACLU that is 100% behind these actions, but, they are involved.

I hope you apologize as quickly as you point fingers of accusations?

Pastor Paul

14. Magnetic Poles

Apologize for what? You said the ACLU was trying to get churches to remove crosses. Then you cite totally different cases where a government is being asked to remove religious symbolism. Churches are private property. The ACLU has no interest in making private citizens or churches remove religious symbols. In fact, they defend such. You are bearing false witness.

Then you say you may not be right about it being the ACLU, then in the next line say they are involved.

#54 Magnetic Poles, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Maybe the American Church needs a good blood-letting.

But isn't the example of Christ to not respond with a slap, or bawled fist, or bullet, or more legislation?

Christianity is not a religion that is to be on the offensive, and meekly defensive from my read of the NT. When Simon Peter cut off the ear of a soldier didn't Jesus heal it?

Not looking for a fight when I say this is, just being honest...if the world should run us over isn't our first reaction to be grace and not self-preservation? I seem to reflect on the early church and see a group of honest believers attempting this lifestyle. :)

16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Coversation is Ended

Magnetic Poles thinks he knows what is right and what is wrong with my post. I am only repeating what I've heard on the news. I have not included this info to support my side as an attempt to "lie". If my info is wrong, I am sorry, and if Magnetic Poles wants to show me the error of my way, I will gladly apologize. But, until he can post info that is in contradiction to what I have posted, I stand behind it, regardless of what he may think the ACLU does.

To call me an unrepentant lier is wrong. I don't believe "name-calling" should be a part of this BB. We are one in Jesus, and to judge me without knowing the truth is a sin, and I'm sorry Magnetic Poles is so willing to point fingers without further research.

Pastor Paul

17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't the early church join in on taking this land from Indians, by force, if needed? Didn't early church goers join in to fight each other in the Civil War?

I don't mean to cause a fight with you either, but, I think the church in America, and Europe [the crusades] did take by force and defend by force their property, families, and rights.

Am I wrong in seeing history this way?

18. Magnetic Poles

It is not up to me to show you anything. You made an accusation, it is up to you to provide the evidence. YOU have the burden of proof.

If you care to look into things before tossing out "what you heard on the news", you will fare much better. Otherwise, you are carrying idle gossip and bearing false witness. If you make an accusation on a public debate board that has no basis in fact, you can expect someone to call you on it. Face it. You got caught, and you don't like it.

19. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I'm not going to disagree with the history, though with the early church point I don't see that, but I'll suggest strongly that this isn't how Christ wants the Church to act.

The militant Church is a pox on Gospel.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no cases I know of in which the ACLU has tried to force churches to remove symbols. The Mt. Soledad cross is an ambiguous case of turning the land on which a cross rests over to private interests in order to keep the cross there.

But this reminds me of one case of which I don't know the outcome. There was an attempt to erect a memorial to victims of Katrina near the Mississippi River outlet, and it included a cross and a figure implying Jesus Christ. The ACLU threatened thishuricane-crippled community, which replied that the memorial is privately funded and on private land, though government workers are playing a big part in the construction thereof. The ACLU still claimed the memorial would imply that "only Christians are welcome there." Media accounts seem easy to find ...
    http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-16/1154844074102520.xml&coll=1
    ... and some say this St. Bernard Parish was going ahead with the plan. But as this was about 16 months ago, it seems hard to find anything more recent. In the meantime, it's impressive that the Parish President replied to the ACLU director: [inappropriate language snipped]"

#60 Alcott, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.