Man-made Doctrines of faith/worship 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by robycop3, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctrines we agree with are God's truth, the others are man-made. :)

2. MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is your Biblical reference for opposing all things ending in -ism?

3. The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is "you" "allowing" scripture [to] do anything, it is you who are minting the doctrines, not scripture.

The Archangel

4. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Archangel,
    many times people speak against what they believe to be man-made doctrines, and then they offer their own man-made ideas?

Are their man made ideas, immune from this quest?
    If God has given men as pastors and teachers and they preach and teach, are they also exempt from this idea.?

5. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, actually, it IS. If a doctrine isn't found in Scripture, it's not true, simple as that!

6. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MMRRPP ! WRONG!

":I " did not "mint" the KJVO myth, preterism, faith/prosperity, mariolatry, etc.

7. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure if someone wants to, he/she can make the name of a true doctrine end in "ism", such as "Trinitarianism". and "baptism".

8. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm the complete opposite doctrinally from where I began with Christ. "I was a teenage Arminian Dispensationalist". Think "I was a teenage Werewolf", the 50's horror flick but worse. And then add Pentecostalism to this.

Today after 40+ years of study I'm the complete opposite. But I still have the same presence of Christ in my heart. Instead of Dispensationalism, I'm Amillennial. Instead of Arminian, I'm Calvinistic holding to the first three of the five points. Instead of Pentecostal I'm a cessationist.

I came to the place where I needed to prove what I'd been taught was either true or false. And this is how it all turned out.

9. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most false doctrines are found in scripture, poor interpretation of scripture.

10. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on RobyCop!
    Baptism and the Trinity are not "isms"!

And words like prism, etc. controvert these posts' faulty argumentation: that you've "painted yourself into a corner" by "opposing all things ending in -ism"

11. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't "Baptist" similar tho "Calvinist"? = if "ism" was grammatically correct in all usage, we could apply it to the word Baptist as well.

12. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That and also scripture plus something else.

13. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all know who Calvin is, but who is Bapt? Never heard of him.

14. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just sayin, your "ism" rap doesn't hold water.

15. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The extreme views of either of them are wrong, but arminianism isn't entirely false. We have free will to come to Jesus or not.

As for dispensationalism - there are three dispensations - that of the Old Testament/Covenant, which was given only to Israel, while God counted believing Him, as Noah & Abraham did, for righteousness, especially among gentiles - the dispensation of the New Testament/Covenant, which we are now under, and that of the world to come where God will be physically and visibly present among us.

Most branches of pentecostalism are eaten up with man-made doctrines & are cultic, but there are some true Christians among them. (Note that most of the quack mega-teleministers are pentecostal!) so you did well to get away from them. Unfortunately you hopped from the frying pan into the fire with your "amillenial" stuff, which is actually preterism with a different name.

Much of calvinism is false, so watch yer step if you "tiptoe thru the TULIP".

The millenium is very plainly mentioned in Scripture as a "thousand years". It means EXACTLY THAT. To be "amillenial" is to deny Scripture.

Rev. 20:2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.5And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.6Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.7And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

These Scriptures are very plain, and mean exactly what they say. The millenium is REAL, and will occur, as Scripture cannot be broken. And no one can make anything else outta those verses except what they plainly say!

16. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to believe as you do until I studied the bible for myself and proved myself wrong.

17. The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, this is almost comical and shows no small amount of ignorance when it comes to biblical hermeneutics. It may be that the "thousand years" is literal, or it may be figurative. However, to state what you've stated here we'd have to say that Jesus has woolen fur, seven horns, and goes "BAaaaa" simply because Revelation 5 calls Him a Lamb.

The Archangel

18. David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gap before the 70th week is stupid.

19. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David, with all due respect, this type of comment is not helpful. I disagree with the Great Parenthesis (I am not a Dispensationalist) but I am not going to call it stupid. First, that word shuts down meaningful dialogue. If you are trying to persuade someone of the rightness of your belief, labeling their view with the S-bomb is not going to make them amenable to hearing your argument. I say this as someone who has done this far too often. I am still a work in progress.

20. MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A man-made doctrine which is very commonly approved in the U.S. is that it is alright to pay your workers a week or more after they have completed their work - for paperwork reasons.

Another man-made doctrine which is pretty prevalent in the U.S. is serial monogamy - the most common "proper" way to have a relationship.

Another man-made doctrine is that men and women should wait till after college, they have steady jobs, a house, etc. before they get married.

Another man-made doctrine is that it is ok to marry outside your religion and beliefs.

Should I list more?