1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Marks of the early church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rebel1, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How did you miss these writings on the Holy Eucharist?

St. Ignatius of Antioch (c.110AD): They [i.e. the Gnostics] abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that THE EUCHARIST IS THE FLESH OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. (Letter to Smyrnians 7:1)

St. Justin the Martyr (c. 100 - 165AD)For not as common bread nor common drink do we receive these; but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by Him, AND BY THE CHANGE OF WHICH our blood and flesh is nourished, IS BOTH THE FLESH AND THE BLOOD OF THAT INCARNATED JESUS. (First Apology, 66)

How about St. Irenaeus of Lyons ? (c. 140 - 202 AD) When, therefore, the mixed cup and the baked bread receives the Word of God and BECOMES THE EUCHARIST, THE BODY OF CHRIST, and from these the substance of our flesh is increased and supported, how can they say that the flesh is not capable of receiving the gift of God, WHICH IS ETERNAL LIFE -- flesh which is nourished BY THE BODY AND BLOOD OF THE LORD…receiving the Word of God, BECOMES THE EUCHARIST, WHICH IS THE BODY AND BLOOD OF CHRIST(Against Heresies 5:2:2-3)

And these are but only three examples that solidifies the orthodox Catholic teaching that exists on this particular issue today. If you do not accept this teaching on this basic truth of Christianity then it is you who have strayed from the truth, not us.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Posting what others stated out the "Eucharist" is not addressing the foundational lies of idolatry of the papists.

Here is part of the post from above:

What about the total deceitfulness found in the papists?

Prayers to Mary? That is a lie of the papists to this day.

Prayers to saints? That is a lie of the papists to this day.

Purgatory? That is a lie of the papists to this day.

Last rites? That is a lie of the papists to this day.

Selling indulgences? That is a lie to this day.​

These five, alone, are foundational holdings of the papists. They are totally a lie from Satan. Not a single one is authorized, encouraged, or even mentioned in the Scriptures except in terms of condemnation.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church of Rome teaches that all who stand in the Pauline theology of the Cross are accursed. correct?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would rather stick with the views of Jesus and His Apostles, as they all denied the Mass as defined by Rome!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rome HAS to have tradition and Apocrypha, as the Bible itself does not support their false doctrines!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the exception of 2 Maccabee 12:46 there is no "prayer for the dead" and even in that place it is not so much "for" the dead (because the dead were the result of idol worship and idol amulets hanging on them) but thankfulness that such idols could be melted down and repurposed for righteousness. That the sinfulness of idolatry not become the living's sinfulness, also.

But, such is the twisting of the papist to try to excuse all excesses, and place hope into their dread filled hearts. Such scream from the eternity of hell as the rich man begging for water, longing that some return be made to warn others of that dreadful place.

For they do not believe although one is raised from the dead.

They believe a lie because it is more convenient then to recant from all their evil ways and turn to the God of All heaven and earth.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church of Rome is the Jerusalem of the Earth, as its modern day Pharisee run amok, as they claim to have real way to God, but blind guides!

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I view Rome as the Babylon (not Jerusalem) in which the heathen rage from the seven hills against all righteousness, purity, and holiness.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    good, think there have been books comparing Rome to babylon, and I was thinking of when paul contrasted Jerusalem from above with one here on earth!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,
    24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
    25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
    26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. (1Cor 11 23-26)

This is the Mass as related to us by St. Paul. It is what the Apostles believed because it was what Jesus said. The Mass has as it's focus what I just related, Jesus and His sacrifice, rather than a harangue by some pastor in some off shoot Christian sect somewhere.

Jesus and the Apostles would be mighty pleased that the Mass which you deem as "defined by Rome" has been carried on faithfully through these past 2000 plus years.

11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh good grief!

12. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I say Satan has infected your heart, he has drawn you away to some dark place as regards the proper teachings of the Christian faith.

13. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan took time from his busy schedule to "infect" the heart of @agedman ?

14. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All Catholics are Liars is what you are saying.

We Catholics try to prove Catholicism wrong the most, I got a sufficient trust in God that if I can prove the whole thing wrong at the press of a button I would bang away without fear, why?

Because I already obtained my highest priority in life which is LOVE who is God.

We want and love the truth. I have consistently asked for sources. If the shoe is on the other foot with GREAT JOY i would supply you the sources for my belief.

But when I merely ask you for the sources you FROWN and get upset. You call us Liars and dishonest.

I haven't even got to the point of saying what you said is untrue, I'm still waiting for you to give the the sources and evidence.

You have coughed up NOTHING.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No... he is a Calvinist

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don’t consider disipleship as important?

17. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So let me get this straight, Jesus establishes a church with the apostles, and they have biblical teachings stating how to replace bishops.

But it never worked once, not even right after the apostles, The apostles themselves failed.

Cause the guys Adonia is quoting isn't some folks 1500 years later. He is quoting folks IN OFFICE while the APOSTLES are STILL ALIVE and talking to them.

And what do these BAD BISHOPS in contact with apostles do? GASP, they practice CATHOLICISM!

Ain't no altar call with crackers and koolaid.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus saw this as spiritual, see Gospel of John, and not his literal blood and body to be reenacted every mass!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The proper teachings are those in the Bible ALONE, as interpreted by the Holy Spirit, and not Rome!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is true though!