1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Marriage books

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 2, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone got any good marriage books to recommend? I have a book by David Jeremiah, Tim Kellers book "The meaning of Marriage" The Five Love languages, etc.. I did have a book called Waffles and Spaghetti, but it had too much psychology in it so I gave it away. Thanks..

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2 best marriage books I've ever read are: When Sinners say I do by Dave Harvey and What did you Expect by Paul Tripp.

It's been a few years since I have read either one but I remember the gist of both of them was that you are married to a sinner, but so is your spouse. That means we need to be offering grace to our spouse. One point that was made, again not sure which book was that it is little moments that build up marriages not grand gestures. Grand gesture may be nice but they are more for decoration on a already built house. I have taken that to heart and try to notice the little things that my husband does, such as giving me the more comfortable chair, giving me first choice on things, even taking care of the trash. When asked for marriage advice I sum up what I got from these books this way: Don't sweat the small stuff but notice the little things. So what if the husband socks don't make it to the hamper (not about my wonderful husband as he is very good at putting his clothes in the hamper, but it's an example I hear a lot) but does you husband make sure to block the light when getting up before you (like mine does) is something to be taken note of as it shows love and care even if it doesn't seem like a big thing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent comment, BW.

It has been said that communication is what makes a successful marriage. That is wrong. It is forgiveness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just bought "when sinners say I do" for $5 on iBooks. Cheaper than getting the book in print!

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah most do not understand this.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tim Keller's book is probably the best book out there on marriage but there is a new book (well, not new but new in the US) that will give it a run for its money - Married for God by Christopher Ash. EXCELLENT book. Here is Tim Challies' review on it: http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/married-for-god

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your point, but they do go together. Good communication is necessary for real forgiveness to influence a relationship to the maximum potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots and lots of books out there.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep but these two are my top two. Having done marriage counseling - both pre and post - I've read a LOT of books on marriage!

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I bought When Sinners Say I do. I do also have the Keller book.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love nd Respect, by Dr. Eggerich, did it for church cell group married group, well received!

12. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't like Love and Respect. It seemed too formulaic and "cookbook-ish". It condensed everything down into two "types", lumping all women into one and all men into another. I also remember in the beginning that Eggrich claims that the book would solve ALL your marriage problems. Thing is, it didn't deal with serious marriage issues like abuse, addiction, etc. It seemed like fluff to me. I think I may have thrown it out but I'll see if I still have it.

This is an interesting review of it http://www.hopeforlifeonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/LR_BiblicalOrDeceptive.pdf

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Before The Last Resort" by Kenworthy. Bought it at a "Weekend to Remember" conference for a friend who was attending with me.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Song of Solomon.

HankD

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We used it in our cell group, and tihnk that his major point is biblically valid, as women and men do need different man thing from the realationship!

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David jeremiahs book is simply a commentary on the book.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it good?

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you seen his study bible?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, the thing is when we focus on our needs, we have a problem. I don't look at my marriage to fulfill things in me but instead, I want to see how we can glorify God and serve Him. When our eyes are focused on Him, our marriage will be in better shape than if we are focused on what WE want.

I'm reading Married for God again and I can honestly say this is one of the best books on marriage I've read. I'm buying two copies for my daughter and her soon to be fiance to read and work through together. :)