1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mary, Jesus and the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by AITB, Jul 31, 2002.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

4. trying2understand

DHK, try this link.

http://www.catholic-convert.com/writings/sola.html

5. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

I don't think you understand, Sola Scriptura does not mean a person can't give a sermon, it means Scripture is the sole rule of faith and so the sermon must be consistent with Scripture. Your article tries to claim that because the Bereans listened to the sermon, they didn't believe in Sola Scriptura, but the article ignores the fact that they didn't simply listen but verified what Paul said in the Scriptures to be sure that he was really teaching the Word of God. Had Paul's teachings not been consistent with Scripture the Bereans would have rejected him, but they found his teachings to be consistent with the Word of God and they were considered noble for verifying and accepting the teachings which were consistent with Scripture.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

7. Star

Star New Member

Can I ask a question here, In reference to the genealogies? Why were we told not to heed endless genealogies (1 Tim 1:4) Again we are told to avoid it in (Titus 3:9) I mean its pretty obvious in the verses itself but I wonder if its a part of regarding Christ after the flesh, after all (As AITB has reminded us embarassingly enough) that Christ is compared with Melchezedek without Father or mother or decent... Gees that makes sense that He never adressed Mary as Mother but as Woman. Unless ofcourse I'm missing it somewhere.

In fact when His Mother and brethren were outside waiting for Him and someone told Him that He asks the question, "who are my mother and brethren"? He stretched for His hands toward His disciples and declared them in truth to who He considered His Mother and brethren.

When it came to His departure He then refers to His disciples likening them to a Woman giving birth to a child. Again the patern for "being born from above" has now transcended from one single woman (represented by Mary) into the many (of whom she represents ) namely Christ in them (His body) their hope of glory. I think she represents a patern of the new birth in that regard. Considering the Sword that would peirce her own soul was so that the hearts of MANY might be revealed. She and They seem interlocked in that respect. Christ seemed to make the shift from her to them in an attempt to get them to regard Him after the Spirit redefining these things as He saw them rather then how they saw them.

I was just thinking on these things rereading the intial first post, any thoughts here?

In Him Kim

8. trying2understand

So what in the Old Testament led the Bereans to expect new documents to be added to Scripture as additional infallible and inspired writings?

DHK, this seems to be your usual response to any Catholic source: "biased".

But your response is a none response. Instead, why don't you walk me through it and explain the flaws in the line of reasoning?

While you are at it, why don't you cite the verse that teaches "sola scriptura"? [​IMG]

Then you can refer me to all of the historical documents that show that sola scriptura was an accepted doctrine since the times of the Apostles. [​IMG]

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It would be impossible for sola scriptura to have been accepted from the time of the apostles.

First, there were no canonical versions of scripture, even among orthodox Christians. It depended on where you were, and in what year.

Second, the books themselves were compiled by men who depended on tradition and scholarship and revelation to determine which were authoritative.

The book cannot be more authoritative than the method that compiled it. It cannot stand under close examination.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi T2,

You posted…

Personally I don't like the words "sola scriptura". It has its roots in Luther. I realize that Baptists use the term but it is not particularly Baptist.

Here is an extract of the definition from the General Association of Regular Baptist website concerning Biblical Authority:

Final Authority, these are the key words. This answers perfectly to the objections of your website.
    Final Authority is willing to look at "Tradition" (as an example) but then test it against the Scripture.

The Bereans listened to Paul's message and tested it against the Scripture as their final authority. To say that they did not have the Scriptures is to deny the Word of God which specifically says that they searched the Scriptures.

HankD

[ August 07, 2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]

11. Alex

Alex New Member

Hank:

I grew up in Kelso/Longview, WA. Are you far from there?

God Bless...........Alex

[ August 07, 2002, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Alex,

I live in Olympia, about 90 miles north of Kelso.

I lived in New Orleans LA when I was a boy off of Jackson Ave in what was then called the Irish Channel.

To try to pull this back to something remotely related to the thread [​IMG] What is your preference "sola scriptura" or "Final Authority of the Scripture" or something else?

HankD

[ August 07, 2002, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]

13. Alex

Alex New Member

Your comment: Final Authority, these are the key words. This answers perfectly to the objections of your website.
    Final Authority is willing to look at "Tradition" (as an example) but then test it against the Scripture.

I find your comment self explanatory AND I believe that the Bible, overall, was written under divine inspiration by God and it is HIS FINAL AUTHORITY(WORD), with a big PERIOD! If anyone says it isn't, then where do they get their faith from? To say some of the Bible is fallible because of "human error", is to say God had nothing to do with it's writting. And, it is either ALL right or NONE is right, as far as I am concerned, but that is only my opinion. I would add that, to me, the Catholics have butchered up much of the meaning of the WORD and have led many astray!

God Bless............Alex

14. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Except you have it backwards. The Bible was tested against tradition. That's how it was compiled.

Nothing can be more authoritative than it's own source.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Basically the above statement is an admission of "I don't believe the Bible." You are saying that tradition has more authority than Scripture. Even the appeal of Jesus to the law of Moses would not convince you at this point. The Catholic Church relies on tradition. Jesus Himself appealed to the Scriptures. So did the Bereans, the prophets of the Old Testament, and the Apostles. All of them used the Scriptures as their final authority. The command of Jesus was to "Search the Scriptures," and for good reason. They are our authority.
    DHK

16. Alex

Alex New Member

Are you implying that God wasn't the author of the bible?

God Bless.............Alex

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Nope. That makes no sense at all. I'm merely pointing out that the Bible that you suppose is inerrant was compiled by men who relied on scholarship, and tradition, and prayer to decide what works would be included and what works were not authoritative. Do you deny this?

18. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Barbarian observes:
    Except you have it backwards. The Bible was tested against tradition. That's how it was compiled.

Nothing can be more authoritative than it's own source.

The Bible is made up of sacred scripture that was written over a very long time. God inspired men, who then wrote what He inspired.

There were many books thought to be inspired by God. Some of them made it into our Bible, some didn't.

1. When do you think the first "official" Bible was put together?

2. How do you think the people who put it together judged which books were authoritative, and which were not?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

On what basis do you think the people who compiled these texts did so?