1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mary

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Janes, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    The rosary has been a very powerful prayer for me and weapon against Satan, and no , the rosary is not just a Catholic devotion and I am not Catholic... Eastern Orthodox Churches pray the rosary and there are Protestants who go to the Marian pilgrimages to the shrines and pray the rosary as well. Marian devotion is not just Catholic.
    https://www.christianheadlines.com/...ts-a-new-look-at-an-old-question-1318834.html

I know this site doesn't talk about Catholicism, but I argue that the rosary is not just a Catholic devotion." Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus" is a blessing of Mary and Jesus , and it is a direct quote from scripture.

All but two of the Mysteries of the 20 Mysteries of the Rosary are found in the Gospels. The rosary is a meditation on the Life, birth, ministry, death, and Ascension of Christ and The Descent of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles. It is like praying the gospels. With each decade there is a different mystery to meditate on, meditation of the Annunciation, the visitation, the birth of our Lord, the presentation of Christ to the temple, the finding of Christ at the temple, the baptism of Christ in the Jordan, the wedding at Cana, the proclamation of the kingdom of God, the Transfiguration, the institution of the Eucharist, the agony in the garden, the scourging at the pillar, the crowning with thorns, the carrying of the cross , the crucifixion, the Resurrection, the ascension, and the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles , are all mysteries of the Rosary, and are found in the gospel. The rosary is meditation on the gospel.

Scripture condemns vain repetition, but not all repetition is vain.
    Revelation 4:8
    And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, “Holy, holy,holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!”... In heaven, the same prayer is recited over and over and over again day and night. Scripture does not condemn repetition, it condemns vain repetition.

She was extremely helpful. Extremely helpful is an understatement. I had serious mommy issues because my mom was cheating on my dad when I was 4, and other things she did, and that damaged my views of women in general, and I badly needed a mother figure in my life, and the Virgin Mary was the perfect mom... I needed maternal nurturing and tenderness... Praying the rosary was the most healing spiritual practice I've ever indulged in.

And no, I'm not trying to convert anybody to Catholicism or say anybody should indulge in any practice that they find makes them uncomfortable.

I'm saying we should not condemn one of the many methods that God uses to give grace to the Earth which can be healing medicine for many people and a remedy for our ills.

The Old Testament speaks against mediums, summoning Spirits from the underworld, fortune-telling, magic, and sorcery. Those are all powers of the occult that should be avoided. The Old Testament does not condemn the Rosary, or invoking souls in heaven, but rather condemns the use of the forces of Darkness and summoning Spirits from Sheol.

Even if the Old Testament condemned the act of invoking the host of Heaven, which it does not, that would not necessarily mean it is forbidden, because much of what was forbidden in the Old Testament was no longer forbidden for Christians

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, all of the heresies and nonsense in your post aside, what in the world kind of parents did you have that discussed your mother's promiscuous sex life with their four year old?

#2 JohnDeereFan, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now you just had to go and open up that can of worms, didn't you? (LOL) Welcome to the site, and this is indeed the section to discuss such things.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    I didn't find out till my mom separated from my dad to be with her lover.... My mom has been married and times

5. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Thanks!

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you cite the passage where that direct quote is please?

May I ask?

• Do you believe the words of the rosary that Mary can pray for you and that her prayers make you worthy?
    • Do you believe the words of the rosary that Mary is our is your advocate and can show mercy to you?
    • Do you believe the words of the rosary that Mary is the Holy Queen?
    • Do you believe that Mary was a perpetual virgin?
    These are the teachings of the rosary. Where is their scriptural documentation?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    The Angel Gabriel and Elizabeth in the gospel of Luke said "hail full of grace the Lord is with thee blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb."

Regarding the other questions, I don't know if she was perpetual Virgin but it doesn't have to be in scripture to be true.

8. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Pray for my poor soul.
    I was wearing a Carmelite scapular and Miraculous Medal when I jumped off a building. I didn't want to live anymore. I broke my pelvis, broke my ribs, broke my arm, broke my back in two places, tore up my knees, had a concussion and head injury.... I believe the Blessed Mother's intercession saved my life, and the rosary brought me much consolation while I was in a wheelchair in the psych ward.

By the grace of God I can walk again.

I have a history of mental and emotional illness. I humbly beg for your prayers

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    5 For there is one God, one mediator also between God and men, himself man, Christ Jesus, 1 Tim 2

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    God uses other mediators often... it's how Moses saved Israel from destruction. Christians share in the priesthood of Jesus Christ and share in his powers of mediation. Paul said it is no longer I who lives but Christ, Mary can say the same thing

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you guys have statues of Mary and pray to them?

12. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    No, I'm not Catholic

13. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    God healed through a bronze serpent...he can heal through a statue

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K.

Don't Catholics have statues of Mary and pray to them?

15. Matt Janes

Matt Janes Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    They pray in front of them. Moses prostrated and prayed before the Ark which had graven images

16. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God healed those who followed his word. Those who followed his word looked and lived those who didn't died.
    • Isaiah 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
    The serpent was a symbol which pointed to Jesuu.
    • John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    • John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
    God doesn't share his glory with anyone.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can if we want to - We just dont want to!
    Mary was a sinner and need a Saviour just as anyone else needs.

Our Prayers go directly to God - thur Jesus Christ. Mary has no special power.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moses didn't pray to the ark. Catholics actually do pray to the dead "saints", as you have already admitted you do.

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would we? We don't have to pray to a dead woman, we don't have to repeat the same rote prayer over and over.

We can go directly to God by the authority of Jesus Christ.

[Nasty personal comment edited.]

#19 JohnDeereFan, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
  20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that isn't what you said. You said you have "mommy issues" because of what happened when you were four years old.

So you picked a dead woman, ascribed all your neuroses to her, and picked her for your role model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.