1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Melania Trump Plaigerizes Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think about it ITL, jut scanning the major broadcast and talk shows today they are all atwitter about Melania showing Melania speaking immediately followed by Michelle saying the same words.
    I don't think they realize that
    they are introducing Trump's intelligent, beautiful and glamorous wife to the viewing world.
    Along with the mystique of the eastern European accent

They are also letting the world know that the RNC convention is going on in full swing.

In addition they are trumpeting yesterday's coup attempt by the NeverTrumps and whetting the audience appetite to watch for more shenanigans today.

ALL for free, over and over again all during the day.

Could it be that Trump is that cunning?

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, this whole thing is straight out of The Art of the Deal - any free publicity is good publicity but I'm still not so sure here - why promote Melinda over all the others? To contrast with Michelle? I doubt it, really don't think many people compare First Ladies when they go to vote.

Then there was that Benghazi mom Christine Matthews hated, the other lady whose kid was killed by an illegal alien, that police chief from Wisconsin, Rudy with his weird speech, why her?

Anyways, Michelle never copyrighted that speech and it really wasn't anything new. Melinda said she did get very little help writing it but I doubt she wrote those parts. But if this was deliberate, Cruz ought to really watch out for what they exactly load into that teleprompter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, frankly I think Melania plagerized "THE WHOLE THING", since she used the same alphabet that Michelle used!!!!!:Rolleyes:eek::Wink

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not just the one statement, but all the others put together.

I have been interested in how Trump supporters have dodged, turned, blown smoke, searching for justification. GOP speechwriter say it was plagiarism and was completely preventable.

Now Tump could have come off looking good and honest if he had simply said, "Yes, we made a mistake and it won't happen again."

These plagiarized statements are simply another indication of a sloppy candidate and campaign team. If he and his people are this poor in managing a campaign, are this poor in vetting a speech how can we have any confidence in how they would run the country or negotiate with a foreign country?

Now if Michelle had plagiarized in her speech would these same people have been so kind?

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/us/politics/melania-trump-convention-speech.html?_r=0

In interviews, alarmed Republican speechwriters outlined the layers of formal scrutiny, apparently disregarded by the Trump campaign, traditionally applied to almost every draft of a major convention address. They described word-by-word fact-checking by a dedicated team of experts and computer software designed to catch plagiarism. Several online programs, like DupliChecker, are available at no cost.

“It’s pretty standard,” Mr. Stevens said of the software, which detects overlap in word choice and sentence structure. “We used it.”

An urgent priority: avoiding the slightest hint of oratorical theft.

“The most cardinal rule of any speech-writing operation is that you cannot plagiarize,” said Mr. Latimer, the Bush speechwriter, who is now a partner at Javelin, a communications firm. If you do, he said, “you lose your job.”

That is unlikely to happen in the Trump campaign, which revolves around a freewheeling candidate with a fierce resistance to admitting error.

#45 Crabtownboy, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are nor correct.

From: http://lawnewz.com/politics/does-mi...egal-claim-against-melania-trump-over-speech/

Artists, authors, speakers, and songwriters always own an automaticcopyright in the works they create. They can then choose to register that copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office; while doing so makes enforcing that copyright easier for the artist, registration isn’t strictly necessary.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't remember seeing all this hub bub when Michelle Obama was caught actually plagiarizing someone in here speech.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess you missed your opportunity. I find that rather amazing seeing as how you have been so quick to criticize the Obama's.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it on nationally broadcast TV at the DNC?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barack Obama: “Don’t tell me words don’t matter.” As then-Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) surpassed Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary, largely on the strength of his oratory, Clinton said that Obama’s record was “just words.” Obama responded in a speech whose refrain was lifted from then-Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick. The Obama campaign did not even bother to refute the claim. Instead, it circulated examples of lines that it said Clinton herself had borrowed from Obama. The left media defended Obama, saying that he had not committed plagiarism, but merely, at worst, “poor footnoting.”

Hillary Clinton: “No bank can be too big to fail, no executive too powerful to jail.” After the Obama campaign accused Clinton of stealing lines in 2008 — a claim supplemented by The New Republic, which accused her of stealing lines from then-Sen. John Edwards (D-NC) — she ought to have learned her lesson. But in 2016, she stole linesfrom Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who responded by telling NBC News’ Meet the Press, jokingly: “We’re looking into the copyright issues here.” Clinton was accused of liftingother lines, too — and Sanders supporters responded on Twitter with the wry hashtag: #StealtheBern.

Joe Biden: “My ancestors who worked in the coal mines…”. Biden was found to have borrowed heavily from the oratory — and the biography — of British Labour Party leader Neal Kinnock, without attribution. In addition, it was discovered he had committed plagiarism while in law school. The scandal helped bring down Biden’s presidential campaign in 1988 — though Biden’s angry outburst at a reporter — “I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do, I suspect” — didn’t help, either.

Michelle Obama: “…the world as it should be.” In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky. Alinsky wrote, in Rules for Radicals (emphasis added): “The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be.” Michelle Obama said: “And Barack stood up that day, and he spoke words that have stayed with me ever since. He talked about ‘the world as it is‘ and ‘the world as it should be.'” (Perhaps Mr. Obama who left out the attribution.)

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ump-plagiarism-hillary-biden-barack-michelle/

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if she had used a phrase or two that Michelle Obama used so what?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'the world as it is' and 'the world as it should be'.

Seriously? That's it? Ten words? Actually only seven words, with four of them used twice.

pathetic

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care about any of it. All this complaining either way on this is silly. It is a non issue. People are just wanting to make more out of it than it actually is because they want to criticize. You are usually pretty level headed but when it comes to Trump you have reached a level of derangement.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This just out....

This should have happened within hours of the controversy. Nicely played, though a day and a half too late.

Trump Plagiarism Apology.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not late, its not an issue, and Trump acted with class in response.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice:
    Melania has "always liked Michelle Obama."
    Melania read the speechwriter some phrases that Michelle Obama used in her convention speech, so the speechwriter included them in Melania's speech. That is the definition of plagiarism.
    Trump's response was to blame the media, blame Hillary Clinton. That's "classy" in your opinion.

You've now gone on for several posts saying you don't care about this at all, yet you keep responding, keep defending Trump. Here is a confession by a speechwriter that she committed plagiarism.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be or not to be, that is the question.

HankD

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was no class in his and his advisor's initial responses. Additionally the advisor contradicted their first explanation. It would have shown class to have admitted and apologized the mistake immediately. No, he did not do that. Trump and his staff followed their modus operandi of denial and blaming the media and others.

The question now is should Trump fire his advisor who responded in what we now know was a lie and then contrictided that lie with other explanations that were lies.

#58 Crabtownboy, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sigh, what I don't care about is if she used some phrases from someone else or not. All this criticism is childish. Its a non issue. People think they can get traction out of it by attaching a word like "plagiarism" to it. Makes it out to be more than it really is. Really it lacks a level of honesty as well.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny how you keep going on about something you don't care about.

Speaking of lacking honesty, why did the Trump campaign put out four conflicting responses to this so-called "non-issue"? Culminating in Trump praising the whole thing for generating publicity?